2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that's it for the 2021 license season, not too shabby for winters overall and the only the one today as I never did run into any of his friends. Gonna haul out next week, clean the thing up, debate a pod or a new boat while I appreciate how she ran me safely back to MCM today in an absolutely nasty sea past Pt Atkinson to the bridge. Even the crab and fish boats heading out were hiding off Caufield. It was a following sea but following from every direction! I think it will lay down later so all you guys who can get out best of luck. Cheers.

Last edited:
Hey Rain City, Grandfather, uncle and cousin were boat builders ( see link below = my family) and I trained under them "old school" ( kicked in butt if did something wrong), for entire youth and beyond. Built my own boat with dad and was helping family with everything nautical related bow to stern, including rebuilding 440 Chryslers since I was 11 years old etc. all you could imagine for 40 years ( not my present trade - weekends only).

May I offer to lend a hand with anything? I make a good living , so don't need any compensation. This is a private exclusive offer as you have been very much a gentleman to me here in this forum.

And a word out all please to my cousin = Mike Gooldrup who just passed, a phenomenal man and a super-talented boat-builder.

Very cool. I know at lot of those boats and worked on a few of them too

Got out yesterday for one last stab at it. Slow for most of day at HITW, Tunstall and Roger Curtis. One undersized at RC at 200 ft dr.
Moved to Hutt, one shaker and a big yellow eye that we descended.
Ended the day back at HITW with a double header - one just under, the other a keeper hatchery. The keeper was full of 4 inch herring. 70ft dr, No Bananas skinny G and anchovy.
Great way to wrap up the season; was a couple minutes of mayhem after hours grinding it out watching those rod tips.

What a day today! Pretty snotty ride to Hole in the wall. Had a 59cm before we could even get the second rod in then nothing. Played the slow roll game for an hour then headed over to Cowans Point where we got into two fish right away, finally a chunky 65cm keeper. We had Enough of the wind there so back to BBQ at hole in the wall to finish the day with a couple more shakers. The ride home wasn’t fun but getting a keeper on the last day made it worth it…. Sort of hahaha
Oh man I can’t wait for sockeye

Attachments

• 06F6E5F8-0041-4F48-8939-3665D2532315.jpeg
    06F6E5F8-0041-4F48-8939-3665D2532315.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 189
  • E58FF898-D251-46F1-81F2-A47C85DD5319.jpeg
    E58FF898-D251-46F1-81F2-A47C85DD5319.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 185
  • 664CB9C8-8D79-4592-867A-F0C8916D6DC0.jpeg
    664CB9C8-8D79-4592-867A-F0C8916D6DC0.jpeg
    254 KB · Views: 187
  • B71B2D4C-BD35-45C0-A1D1-4CB54F8F09A6.jpeg
    B71B2D4C-BD35-45C0-A1D1-4CB54F8F09A6.jpeg
    347 KB · Views: 199
Went out to defence islands and Puerto Cove today. It was rough In the morning. We were taking it easy by point Atkinson when out of nowhere our marina neighbor came behind us at a high rate of speed in his double eagle. Stu put on a show for us.. Had the thing airborne, the eagle was soaring.. it was special.
Defense was very active with under sized. One nice fish sealed. The seals on the Puerto side are so aggressive. I saw three boats get sealed before any nets out. The dark red flasher with a Gibbs herring aid has been getting the most fish on our boat these last three weeks. It was hard to leave because we got bites every 15 minutes towards the end but all shakers. Got lots of prawns. Sad to see the keep season end.

Someone should post a season report. Like how peoples year went in Vancouver fishing. When it was the best etc.

Finished at thrasher got 6 unders. Caught a 20lbs mid April a few years ago. Guys talking Halchet and tunstal. You could very fell get a 25 30. Had fish jump spit the hook at hole in wall and Bowen with my buddy. I know very well a guy pulled a 30 at hole in the wall april 2 or 3. Depths 100-130’ at thrasher 180 - 200. Good luck this season when it opens and remember to have a case of beer.

Finished my 2021 license season tonight around the bell and the mile markers, almost zilch for bait marking tonight, covered as much ground as I could to look for some signs of life. A bit lumpy and thumpy heading out there, but lots of fun in the right boat. Beautiful sunshine yet again. Wednesday in the same area was crazy with bait and arches but minimal action, the sun made up for it, got my first sunburn of 2022.

I hope you all had a great season and kept records for next years fishery, now it's time to practice your gaff release techniques for a few months.

Maybe time to do a boat/outdoor show. https://www.bcoutdoorsshow.com/ April 8, 9, 10 in Chilliwack. A mix of exhibitors, speakers, interactive events, entertainment and more.

Zilch yesterday, about an hour at the Bell and a few hours at Cowan. Nothing on the sounder or on the rods ‍:rolleyes: but a beauty day. Was a bit hairy getting out there early afternoon but the winds sat down for the ride back. 2 keepers in 4 trips out the past couple weeks, meh, I’ll take it. Now time to reconnect with the family, lol. I guess it’s bye bye until sockeye time boys.

Zilch yesterday, about an hour at the Bell and a few hours at Cowan. Nothing on the sounder or on the rods ‍:rolleyes: but a beauty day. Was a bit hairy getting out there early afternoon but the winds sat down for the ride back. 2 keepers in 4 trips out the past couple weeks, meh, I’ll take it. Now time to reconnect with the family, lol. I guess it’s bye bye until sockeye time boys.
no bait either?

Having a great catch and release time at Gower point 5 fish in 15 minutes at anywhere between 45 to 120 ft on the riggers all on Avocado Dream and Irish Cream
Curious what percent of the fish are legal and what percentage hatchery? This is completely unacceptable why we have been closed down and cut off from opportunities where there is no scientific or any reasonable excuse ad to why we can't have access.

Okay guys I don’t know how much longer I can take this. I’m here at Gower all by my lonesome with NO seals and I just released my 15th fish. 4 or 5 were keeper size. So if you want some fun in the sun head out this way especially if you want to take a friend to show them what it’s like to fight a fish. Weather is fantastic today. Catches fro 250 ft on the rigger to 80 ft on the rigger right now. Just had my first double header snd these fish are also jumpers so some release the hook in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back