2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Salmon fishing from Gower to the west is open for catch and release ( non-retention) see attached

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 196
Just for clarity. If i read the regs correctly, 29-10 is open to Hatch Coho, correct? It also appears that some areas are open for Pinks and Chum. Which probably means there are zero out there.

Just for clarity. If i read the regs correctly, 29-10 is open to Hatch Coho, correct? It also appears that some areas are open for Pinks and Chum. Which probably means there are zero out there.

No 29-10 is no fishing for salmon

"Approaches to Fraser River - Subareas 29-6, 29-7, 29-9 to 29-17 and the non-tidal waters of the Fraser River from Mission Bridge to the confluence with Sawmill Creek:

January 1 to November 1: No fishing for Salmon (Note: Fishing opportunities for specific Salmon stocks may be considered at a later date)."

All
All the DFO care about is Chinook at the moment

For what its worth we fished HITW yesterday doing DNA samples. Recorded 5 in the log book up to 60. None bigger. Strongly believe the more data we can push to dfo the more reason to allow a fishery. 3 wild and 2 clipped. When past data shows fish coming from places like Washington state or the island and not affecting Frazer river runs the more pressure that can be put on dfo for at leat a partial fishery.

For what its worth we fished HITW yesterday doing DNA samples. Recorded 5 in the log book up to 60. None bigger. Strongly believe the more data we can push to dfo the more reason to allow a fishery. 3 wild and 2 clipped. When past data shows fish coming from places like Washington state or the island and not affecting Frazer river runs the more pressure that can be put on dfo for at leat a partial fishery.
You're fishing for pollock. Not your fault if stupid chinooks bite.
Lol works for me

Crossed to Entrance Island this morning because the weather was so fine and I wanted to try it out. Tried The Trench and the west side of the shoal that borders The Trench with some middling success: 4 salmon, all undersized, 1 orange rock fish (descender pushed into action for a hopeful recovery).

We were fishing glow spoons / glow flashers in 160' to 210' and I think we should have thrown on a hoochie instead. Fished a dropping tide – high was 8:45 and we fished 10:30-12:00 – so, not ideal but beauty day.

Learned a bit about the contours at Entrance and man, the depths really moved around so had to be quick on the riggers and tidy in tacks. Crossing from the north arm was calm and no problems either way. Ran 28+ knots both ways. 2 other boats out.

Actually are fair number of ocean run chum there, see schools of big fish on the sounder that wont bite & apparently they are Chum. But hard as hell to hook up, friend from the West Coast of Vancouver island told me we fish "all wrong" to pick up ocean-run Chum here on the inside. Said they eat jellyfish, and to emulate need pink/purple, 3-inch Michael bait hoochie, slow-wobble - behind a dodger - not a flasher.. So said how we fish salmon here on inside wont catch them in 100 years. We made him almost a fibber and caught one and was a great fighter last year, beautiful meat, big eyes. Looks nothing AT ALL like how they look after they go up river and turn into nasty dogs. A beautiful fish, on a tiger prawn hoochie totally accidentally on a slow turn. But he is mostly right, as was only one we have EVER caught - so they ARE there -we just "doing it wrong" . And are millions in rivers each fall ( Alouette, Stave, Squamish, etc etc.) all loaded with nasty-looking, big-toothed, half-rotten, spawn-mutated Dogs. So each year they also have to be in the ocean, right? They just can't just magically appear in the rivers to spawn without growing up somewhere. So been meaning to give the method he suggests a serious "hard try". With Chinook closed, why not? That ocean run Chum really was beautiful, big and tasty ,nothing at all like river-run, a real nice surprise. Just need to figure out how to fish the Chum properly and catch them consistently. Any and all tips welcome!

Actually are fair number of ocean run chum there, see schools of big fish on the sounder that wont bite & apparently they are Chum. But hard as hell to hook up, friend from the West Coast of Vancouver island told me we fish "all wrong" to pick up ocean-run Chum here on the inside. Said they eat jellyfish, and to emulate need pink/purple, 3-inch Michael bait hoochie, slow-wobble - behind a dodger - not a flasher.. So said how we fish salmon here on inside wont catch them in 100 years. We made him almost a fibber and caught one and was a great fighter last year, beautiful meat, big eyes. Looks nothing AT ALL like how they look after they go up river and turn into nasty dogs. A beautiful fish, on a tiger prawn hoochie totally accidentally on a slow turn. But he is mostly right, as was only one we have EVER caught - so they ARE there -we just "doing it wrong" . And are millions in rivers each fall ( Alouette, Stave, Squamish, etc etc.) all loaded with nasty-looking, big-toothed, half-rotten, spawn-mutated Dogs. So each year they also have to be in the ocean, right? They just can't just magically appear in the rivers to spawn without growing up somewhere. So been meaning to give the method he suggests a serious "hard try". With Chinook closed, why not? That ocean run Chum really was beautiful, big and tasty ,nothing at all like river-run, a real nice surprise. Just need to figure out how to fish the Chum properly and catch them consistently. Any and all tips welcome!
Oh and reason we fished the tiger prawn hoochie; = it was a very slow day, and we tried throwing everything in the tackle box at them to see what would hook up. Sure none of you ever done that :)

Mike Mitchell did a show recently on fishing Chum, showed the gear etc but the slow speed was really noticeable. I will see if it’s on YT and post it here.

Oh and reason we fished the tiger prawn hoochie; = it was a very slow day, and we tried throwing everything in the tackle box at them to see what would hook up. Sure none of you ever done that :)
I caught a chum the very first year I learned how to troll for salmon. I had no idea what I was doing and it was probably while I was tangled up and heading for shallow water with my wife screaming at me. That's how you do it. ;)

Mike Mitchell did a show recently on fishing Chum, showed the gear etc but the slow speed was really noticeable. I will see if it’s on YT and post it here.
Ooops, more like 7 years ago.

Edit....speed is at the 6:00 mark.

They mention speed early in the video, here is the gear they used plus the spot in the video where they talk about it is 14:50. Lots of sponsor pleasing but there is actual gear and modification talk, not dissimilar to sockeye.

F4337991-D085-47BE-AA75-F32CB0D57DB8.jpeg3BF1CD71-BDA8-4115-81B2-E1C7ACA2F650.jpeg

Last edited:
Ask the Browns Bay crew and they have written the book on this fishery. Like what Aquaholic mentioned, it's very similar to the Sox fishery. Slow troll, stop and put it in gear again. bit longer leader with procured bait or purple hoochies and some add a dummy flasher or two. It's not rocket science.
It's a sad state of affairs what our local salmon fishery has become. Going for Chumlies in middle of April? I'd rather do C&R for Pollocks.

Last edited:
Saw my first ever completely bright ocean Chum up in the Gwaii last year and Yes they are a beautiful fish-IIRC it was a complete fluke taken on bait the same crew also caught a smaller one the same way but it had a tad of colour to it.

The Pink run had just flooded the area maybe they were mixed up together.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back