2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So looking forward to jigging for lings across the strait come May 1st. Also these guys too. This year, hoping to do some catch and release salmon until retention is allowed.

Attachments

• D7FC411D-26A0-419F-B78A-87C770146E0C.png
    D7FC411D-26A0-419F-B78A-87C770146E0C.png
    560.3 KB · Views: 170
Has anyone fish Britannia beach area? I was reading someones old fishing chart and they have it listed as a really good Chinook spot.

Bowen Island last 3 hours. Six beautiful Chinook, five right to the boat, the only reason one didn’t make it is because in all the excitement I didn’t re-sharpen the Hoochie after the three before it. White glow Hoochie with the no bananas flasher has got five out of six, no bananas skinny G and a green glow Flasher got the other one. Four out of the five that got right to the boat were keepers. Working on my sunburn and my gaffing release technique, and it’s getting a very good workout today.

Bowen Island last 3 hours. Six beautiful Chinook, five right to the boat, the only reason one didn’t make it is because in all the excitement I didn’t re-sharpen the Hoochie after the three before it. White glow Hoochie with the no bananas flasher has got five out of six, no bananas skinny G and a green glow Flasher got the other one. Four out of the five that got right to the boat were keepers. Working on my sunburn and my gaffing release technique, and it’s getting a very good workout today.
Great report. I don’t know how you can handle this but last time that I released that many keeper-size Chinooks in one trip, I had to see my therapist. ;)

How many clipped??

Man that’s a lot of by catch targeting flounders

Trolling or jigging? Yes to both.
I’ll definitely be heading across the pond next weekend for some ling. Growing up with a cabin on a gulf island, you get to know some sweet spots, makes it almost too easy. I usually let the kids do the fishing, or the ladies lol. But you lose more gear on the bottom that way. (Jigging all the way, to answer the question) I use herring or swim-shad jigs, never was a huge fan of the bright coloured jelly/squid type jigs.
For my money lingcod is hands-down the best meat for eating. I just hope with the chinook closures in recent years the lingcod doesn’t get hammered too bad, I’ve definitely noticed more boats than usual bottom fishing around the SGI the past couple years.
This year I’ll be releasing any ling over approx 20-25lb, as my little personal conscience-clearing conservation attempt, there’s not too many around but I usually run into 1 or 2 every season. Those are usually always female and good genes to carry on reproduction. The meat’s a bit tough and can be wormy on those beasts anyways.
Tight lines.

Any one know some good places around Powell river and the regs around there I’ll be working there for 2 months seeing if it’s worth bringing my boat lol

Somebody told me it appears we’ll be able to fish in Vancouver this year Aug 1. I don’t see that it in the regs. Am I missing something?

Somebody told me it appears we’ll be able to fish in Vancouver this year Aug 1. I don’t see that it in the regs. Am I missing something?
Not in the regs. It’s all speculation on the side of the sporties, hoping for an opening in area 29 for Sox.

Not in the regs. It’s all speculation on the side of the sporties, hoping for an opening in area 29 for Sox.
That’s what I thought. He’s convinced it’s Aug 1 I do hope he’s right even tho I know he’s not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back