2022 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dusted off my downriggers and went for shake out mission with the new RIB..caught and released a couple chinook off Gower point. We fished in 100 feet of water, caught both on a green glow spoon/flasher at 60 feet on the downrigger..looked like 12 to 15 lb...Two within 5 minutes of dropping then nothing for the next two hours...Was nice to get the first salmon caught on the new boat over with...also caught a decent sunburn..you don't notice the sun in a center console with no windshield lol

Anyone catchin any mud sharks in area 29-2 or 29-3 yet, gonna give her a go this week some time, what you all using ?
I'm thinking someone should put on the first mud shark only durby in area 29, anyone interested ?

Ended up going the next day. Worked that rea and tunstall. Caught one small fish. Fishing in between tides though. You were fishing deep it looks like ya? 200-400ft bottom?
I went yesterday, one shaker, no fish to be found otherwise. Yes, deep water, riggers at 180-210.

Am I the only one that thinks it's idiotic to post about catching Chinook in closed areas? Even the guides are at least claiming to be doing it in the name of science.
Do you want me to post the regulations for 29-3 for you? You definitely have an opinion, and you may be walking a fine line of accusing some fellow fishermen. Guides were right beside me, I was after chum and pink. Guides are trolling way too fast to be considering chum, they are covering ground the same as winter chinook fishing. Falsely claiming it is in the name of science makes it okay with you?

Do you want me to post the regulations for 29-3 for you? You definitely have an opinion, and you may be walking a fine line of accusing some fellow fishermen. Guides were right beside me, I was after chum and pink. Guides are trolling way too fast to be considering chum, they are covering ground the same as winter chinook fishing. Falsely claiming it is in the name of science makes it okay with you?
A simple yes or no answer will suffice.

If it's the same as last year's regs, I believe it is, that was interpreted to read as no fishing on a line from Shah Point on Valdes to Gower Point. In the "restrictions" section of the regs it is stated as "closed for chinook" salmon fishing. To me, that reads as no CnR either.

I realize this isn't a fishing report. I'm sorry in advance.

If it's the same as last year's regs, I believe it is, that was interpreted to read as no fishing on a line from Shah Point on Valdes to Gower Point. In the "restrictions" section of the regs it is stated as "closed for chinook" salmon fishing. To me, that reads as no CnR either.

I realize this isn't a fishing report. I'm sorry in advance.
With respect, you are proving how misinformation perpetuates. Please look up the regulations.

I’m not sure where you’re getting your info from. But I got this from two different sources as described. From the FishingBC app that updated the regulations when I opened it up 10 minutes ago. 29-3 non retention, barbless etc. At the bottom of this first photo, it shows Chinook closed but it’s in a different sub area.

524ACCC2-A801-4D97-8AE8-44A5FEC7B4D1.png

From the DFO page, Pacific region, updated April 8, 2022.

62FD3278-83EC-4F5E-A90A-80AFF388DE99.jpeg

Am I the only one that thinks it's idiotic to post about catching Chinook in closed areas? Even the guides are at least claiming to be doing it in the name of science.
Not trying to catch them it's just a by catch when fishing for mud sharks and that's legal , just like fishing and catching salmon and you snag a rock fish in an area closed to bottom fish, just release with care , so I wanna fish muddies in 29 alls legal

Not trying to catch them it's just a by catch when fishing for mud sharks and that's legal , just like fishing and catching salmon and you snag a rock fish in an area closed to bottom fish, just release with care , so I wanna fish muddies in 29 alls legal
Hey, more power to yah. I just think there's a grey area there and if you want to go and do it that's your prerogative. My concern is reporting how many chinook you got into. Might turn that grey area into a black and white total closure.

Hey, more power to yah. I just think there's a grey area there and if you want to go and do it that's your prerogative. My concern is reporting how many chinook you got into. Might turn that grey area into a black and white total closure.
Not trying to do that at all, I just love sport fishing and after 35 yrs I been limited to what I can catch legally, so I have to target those fish. I only sport fished the Salmon in area 29 and I'd say in the last 15 years released 95% of them. So if a muddies is all I can sport catch now, it's still a fish and I'll just release them like I did the Chinook. Again the by catch , eg Chins, Coho and what not will be gingerly released, if caught , cant predict what bites the hook. If the DFO wants it closed to all fish well do what they did in all other areas and say FIN FISH, which I dont think that's the language used in all of area 29 , but I have to look just before I go out in case its changes .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back