2022 Tuna Adventures

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back to reports... There was a literal and figurative ocean of tuna 40 miles out on Tuesday. Took us a couple ours to find them, but once we did there were jumpers in every direction as far as you could see. Fished four hours then pulled in the troll gear and picked up a few more casting light jigs and swim tails. Came in with 38. One boat came in with 60 and our friends from down south who are way more dialled in with jigging had over 100 to the boat and brought back 50.

Here's a couple vids from the past couple days...

Tuna mayhem...

Caught this one on the spinning rod. Our biggest fish the first day (20 lbs) was caught this way.

Back to reports... There was a literal and figurative ocean of tuna 40 miles out on Tuesday. Took us a couple ours to find them, but once we did there were jumpers in every direction as far as you could see. Fished four hours then pulled in the troll gear and picked up a few more casting light jigs and swim tails. Came in with 38. One boat came in with 60 and our friends from down south who are way more dialled in with jigging had over 100 to the boat and brought back 50.

Tuna mayhem...

Caught this one on the spinning rod. Our biggest fish the first day (20 lbs) was caught this way.
Love it! Subscribed. Good soundtrack

Tuna mayhem...

That is badass!

Bamfield derby is on too (and not cancelled). As CBsqrd says, an absolute epic day on Tuesday. Our fairly rookie boat without outriggers and using rods rather than hand lines had a great day. We ran out at midnight at 10 mph on radar/GPS in the dark and fog with a buddy boat. Lines in by 5:45 a.m., first fish on at 6 a.m. and it really never stopped all day.

It was a unicorn day. Dead flat out on the tuna grounds, sunny, and tuna jumping in every direction. We fished until about 3:30 having lost count of how many fish but we were out of both ice and beer so headed in. Had a quick cruise home at 30mph+. The first 10 miles of the trip home were tuna jumping everywhere.

Ended up with 38, the biggest was 22 pounds. By noon we were arguing with each other as to who should take the rod as everyone was tired
from reeling in these bullets.

Lots of doubles. IMG_0926.jpgIMG_0930.jpgIMG_1001.jpgIMG_4515.jpg

Everyone in my crew said it was the best day of fishing in their life. An incredibly addictive sport. Sounds like the fleet was out today and heading out again tomorrow but we have more than enough fish and after spending 5 hours today processing tuna, we are happy to try for some halibut tomorrow.

I highly recommend the Bamfield derby as a way of getting into tuna fishing. Lots of help from other more experienced boats and a very cooperative group in helping each other. Will be back next year.

I’ll be heading out for tuna on Sat AM out of Neah Bay with both my US and Canadian license. I’d love to share intel with others if/when we find fish. 6 or 7 years ago, the third week of Sept was very good to us when we call called into a bite off of Louden canyon and put 21 albacore and a yellow tail in the boat in about 90 minutes at the end of the day. The boat name is Meant to Be and I monitor 11,16,68 &69.

E476D331-2F7F-42FE-BAED-41FAF30D5B2C.jpegI was out Monday-Wednesday over Barkley canyon and reports posted by others pretty much sums it up. Easy conditions; little wind or swell, acres of surfacing tuna eager to take bait, and lots of other wildlife. Makes me forget those slogs out to get skunked and not see anything more interesting than a humpback (no offense meant to the humpbacks, but I could see them closer in).

I’ll be heading out for tuna on Sat AM out of Neah Bay with both my US and Canadian license. I’d love to share intel with others if/when we find fish. 6 or 7 years ago, the third week of Sept was very good to us when we call called into a bite off of Louden canyon and put 21 albacore and a yellow tail in the boat in about 90 minutes at the end of the day. The boat name is Meant to Be and I monitor 11,16,68 &69.
Sick they are out there! I'm sure you will do well. Check in with the Tuna Fishing BC facebook group and of course the Neah Bay facebook group.

Y’all have a massive gob of tuna up here right now. Get out there and get em! We ran mostly west Saturday and put 50 in the box, only saw 2 other boats. Nothing much over 18# though. Hit the same area Monday for 30 by 10am and then. Went prospecting the rest of the day. Found 8 singles up to 21#. We ran SW Tuesday with several other boats and were plugged with 50 by 1000. Stayed out looking for a bigger grade but nothing over 22#. Released 68 more. Nothing trolled. Since things got cancelled that night, we pulled the troll gear and agreed that Wednesday would be run and gun” style. We went to the same area as Tuesday and it turned was essentially a biological desert. Very few jumpers and almost zero birds. Absolutely beautiful water though. We threw iron on a couple jumpers and put 16 in the box. Ran back up to where we started and put 5 more on. Only one other single in the next couple hours. Headed back to Tofino about 130pm.

Other than whatever crud that caused the shutdown, we had one heck of a time and met some great folks! Hopefully we will be back up next summer,

Oh, and we may have killed a few of your coho too…. That was some FUN action!!! Thanks to those offering coordinates.

Attachments

• 25889430-6421-4C26-9120-5CF8DF47A185.jpeg
    25889430-6421-4C26-9120-5CF8DF47A185.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 356
  • 02D8C47C-7826-4F18-BF10-D3C40500BC41.jpeg
    02D8C47C-7826-4F18-BF10-D3C40500BC41.jpeg
    237.3 KB · Views: 350
  • 96EF3DDF-4A7C-481C-B1A1-B532EB6A4351.jpeg
    96EF3DDF-4A7C-481C-B1A1-B532EB6A4351.jpeg
    152.6 KB · Views: 303
  • B82C50D3-A1A6-45A4-BB2A-7E68CEE19A2D.jpeg
    B82C50D3-A1A6-45A4-BB2A-7E68CEE19A2D.jpeg
    367.2 KB · Views: 282
  • FC8156FB-CD5C-4CCA-A32D-8E09E8BAB6D2.jpeg
    FC8156FB-CD5C-4CCA-A32D-8E09E8BAB6D2.jpeg
    398.6 KB · Views: 279
  • 89461905-D449-48AB-9ABD-794B6EB3BCB2.jpeg
    89461905-D449-48AB-9ABD-794B6EB3BCB2.jpeg
    143.6 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Y’all have a massive gob of tuna up here right now. Get out there and get em! We ran mostly west Saturday and put 50 in the box, only saw 2 other boats. Nothing much over 18# though. Hit the same area Monday for 30 by 10am and then. Went prospecting the rest of the day. Found 8 singles up to 21#. We ran SW Tuesday with several other boats and were plugged with 50 by 1000. Stayed out looking for a bigger grade but nothing over 22#. Released 68 more. Nothing trolled. Since things got cancelled that night, we pulled the troll gear and agreed that Wednesday would be run and gun” style. We went to the same area as Tuesday and it turned was essentially a biological desert. Very few jumpers and almost zero birds. Absolutely beautiful water though. We threw iron on a couple jumpers and put 16 in the box. Ran back up to where we started and put 5 more on. Only one other single in the next couple hours. Headed back to Tofino about 130pm.

Other than whatever crud that caused the shutdown, we had one heck of a time and met some great folks! Hopefully we will be back up next summer,

Oh, and we may have killed a few of your coho too…. That was some FUN action!!! Thanks to those offering coordinates.
That boat sucks

Is that that cat that doug build a while back? Northwester

Is that that cat that doug build a while back? Northwester
She was built by Allied Boats in Bremerton WA. New last year. We are building #2 now, which should be done in Dec/Jan

A short clip of us just after stopping on jumpers. Five casts, five hookups.

Last edited:
Just got back from Winter Harbour... met up with the crew from After Hours... first off... what a wonderful group of guys. So willing to share and eager to help us pop our Tuna cherries... We did just that! Only went out one day... was pretty bumpy when we got there but pounded thru it and boated 34 of the most beautiful fish we have ever seen.... we are HOOKED! Thanks again After Hours.... this will be an annual event at a minimum. Also... PNT in Parksville (Noah in particular) were fantastic at taking our money and hooking us up with all the gear we needed. Everything worked great... and we will be supporting PNT from now on for sure! Thanks Noah!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back