2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ban on vacuum sealing fish at the cleaning station made it inconvenient, and seemed to be an attempt to get us to use the paid packaging service.

I've been twice, always took the vacuum sealer ban as a way to move people along. It gets pretty busy in the station's. They may also have got tired of seeing people over process fish for transport...

We stay at the campground and no complaints...but it is camping so I do not expect perfection.

Last edited:
if you don’t like Moutcha you would despise CC. i paid $39 for three subpar breakfast sandwiches and was asked to leave the eating area after five minutes. the water in the fish cleaning station is salt water. you might as well throw your fish in the trash if you clean your fillets with salt water.
Where did you get the idea cleaning fish with salt water was bad?

Fn was out gillnetting off the wall this evening in a skiff. Guessing a “sustenance/ceremonial” opening.

here we go again…from my commercial fisherman neighbour and from my own bad experience many moons ago. i ruined some hali fillets when i went a little hog wild with rinsing them in salt. a little spritz to get rid of blood is fine but ….salt water deteriorates very rapidly. think of the smell in a raw water wash down hose on your boat. im scottish. you can’t change my mind :)
Being Scots myself-that explains everything!!LOL

Our guide dock in Tofino specifically installed salt water pumps to clean our fish like on commercial boats
I'll clean and wash my fish while I'm out in the winter months with the boat washdown. Not a chance I'm doing that in False Creek. Eeeeeeeeew

Our guide dock in Tofino specifically installed salt water pumps to clean our fish like on commercial boats
you’ve killed and cleaned more fish than i ever will in my entire life brother. not calling you wrong and i’m not gonna yuck your yum. to each their own is all !

you’ve killed and cleaned more fish than i ever will in my entire life brother. not calling you wrong and i’m not gonna yuck your yum. to each their own is all !
As always i'm just sharing some of my experiences in hope it helps others

Major thread derail here but whether it is fresh water or salt water, you should put little or no water onto the flesh side of your filets. Most chefs are adamant that "washing" a fish ruins it. If bled and handled properly, you can usually clean and process with no water touching the flesh. A dryer filet also vacuum seals better.

Major thread derail here but whether it is fresh water or salt water, you should put little or no water onto the flesh side of your filets. Most chefs are adamant that "washing" a fish ruins it. If bled and handled properly, you can usually clean and process with no water touching the flesh. A dryer filet also vacuum seals better.
I started doing this recently. It's a great call. The sashimi texture is excellent and it lasts longer in the freezer. I'll rinse the whole fish prior to filleting and use paper towels to remove any scales/blood/slime from the meat prior to vacuum sealing. By FAR superior to rinsed fish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back