2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,
Just heading up to Nootka for the first time tomorrow and looking for a little advice on tackle.
We generally fish spoons or chovies, and occasionally plugs if there are quality fish around or trying to keep of smalls.
So, sizes/ colours for spoons? Or are we better to go chovies all the way?
Thanks in advance.
Anchovy is my preference 80% of my time at Nootka although lots of people fish spoons and I do when chovies are low. (After all it’s the home of Tomic lures). This year I used a skinny g for the first time. It worked well but that hook meant lots of lost fish. These fish are often transiting south and hit very hard. I got my biggest Spring (22) this year on a Tomic Watermelon lure, 4/5 inch. For Chovie holders I use the Betsy which is green/gold, black and gold, tiger prawn and blue and gold at times. Betsy would be my primary. Good luck.

Fishing in Esperanza continues to be steady, but not spectacular. You have to put your time in to get chinook limits. We have been pretty spoiled this time of year the last few years with easy limits at Sandstone. This year there doesn't seem to be a lot of bait holding them at Sandstone and they are transiting through. Pin rocks has been ok too. The inside spots at Rosa and Garden point are starting to produce better too. Most have switched to anchovies but small spoons like coho killers have been doing ok too. Bottom fishing has been good when the winds have been favorable. 20220801_133346.jpg

Fishing in Esperanza continues to be steady, but not spectacular. You have to put your time in to get chinook limits. We have been pretty spoiled this time of year the last few years with easy limits at Sandstone. This year there doesn't seem to be a lot of bait holding them at Sandstone and they are transiting through. Pin rocks has been ok too. The inside spots at Rosa and Garden point are starting to produce better too. Most have switched to anchovies but small spoons like coho killers have been doing ok too. Bottom fishing has been good when the winds have been favorable. View attachment 83093
Looks great. I hear if the “salmon highway” and it’s apparently open now. Anyone fishing out there?

Anchovy is my preference 80% of my time at Nootka although lots of people fish spoons and I do when chovies are low. (After all it’s the home of Tomic lures). This year I used a skinny g for the first time. It worked well but that hook meant lots of lost fish. These fish are often transiting south and hit very hard. I got my biggest Spring (22) this year on a Tomic Watermelon lure, 4/5 inch. For Chovie holders I use the Betsy which is green/gold, black and gold, tiger prawn and blue and gold at times. Betsy would be my primary. Good luck.
Thanks. Just tied up a few more teaser heads, and I'm off to buy some bait.

Looks great. I hear if the “salmon highway” and it’s apparently open now. Anyone fishing out there?
Our guides don't fish salmon much out there. Maybe on a calmer halibut day, but most days they can get chinook in close. No reason to pound out there for 60 to 90 minutes nd burn all that fuel when you can get chinook 10 to 20 minutes from the dock . Most recent reports out there have been lots of wild coho but no better than the inshore spots for chinook.

Our guides don't fish salmon much out there. Maybe on a calmer halibut day, but most days they can get chinook in close. No reason to pound out there for 60 to 90 minutes nd burn all that fuel when you can get chinook 10 to 20 minutes from the dock . Most recent reports out there have been lots of wild coho but no better than the inshore spots for chinook.
Thanks. I was curious having heard about it but not actually knowing the difference between it and the inside fishing

Thanks. I was curious having heard about it but not actually knowing the difference between it and the inside fishing
The biggest difference in my opinion is you are fishing very deep offshore, easily 150-200ft off the downrigger. The fight from a fish dragging a flasher up from 200 feet is a lot different than what you get from a fish in 50 feet of water taking your bait 30 feet off the downrigger.. I like to fish in structure, near kelp beds, around reefs. You might occasionally lose some gear, but I personally find it more interesting.

The boat that floundered and capssised Maquinna point....yesterday morning

I noticed them having problems, and trolled out to them,

i plucked 2 off the sinking boat as it rolled at my boat, smashing there rods on my deck from there radar arch. the other 2 clinging to the side of my boat, i had to gunn it as the boat rolled one last time, it was going to either squish them between the boats, the hard top was going to hook me as it rolled over and the hard top would have perhaps hooked 1 or both as it flipped. it had to gunn it short burst to get away and not chew up someone inthe prop, we threw lifre ring and jackets at them and backed up on them.

Thanx to wayne from nootka lodge for coming out to see if i needed help.. All four were safley returned to savedera.

and thanx to the 3 clients i had on board. this all took place in a matter of probably 3 minutes. between me running the boat, 1 throwing life jackets from the ceiling of the sorft top where i keep them, 1 throwing life ring and 1 pulling people in,,,,,, you cant rehearse that, and it would have been a different out come likely

if i had to guess on the cause of the capsizing, i would say the transome inspection hatch popped open and bilge cant keep up to that, it was steep tide slop,
You’re a hero man! Great work

Got back from 5 days in Nootka last night. Had luck on the morning and night bite. we had 6 boats at our site and all of us were picking up in the 16-24 #r range.
Had more luck inside than outside. Despite mid day being really REALLLY slow we managed to pick a up a beauty mid day at camel with no one else around.
Overall great trip. Looking forward to getting back out there next year.

Apologies if this is another rookie question - I am doing my best to piece info together for myself. One of the things I have seen discussed in the Nootka fishing reports threads from years past is commercial net openings, seems like usually in August? Does anyone know if there is such a thing this year, or where one would watch for information on the potential for one? I'm officially two weeks and counting for our first trip out, installed Navionics today and thinking about it probably more than is healthy!

From face book

Quick update on Nootka
Fishing for Area D August 12th, 2100hrs to 0100 hrs possible extension to 0600 depending on catch. If the fish are not caught on the first night there will be an extension for as many as two more nights. If the fish are still not caught we will start again August 19th same as above scenario. At the preseason forecast run size Area d has 4170 Canuma fish to catch. We also swapped are Burman/Gold River fish so that adds another 1050 fish to make our total 5220.
This is the preseason fishing plan. The inseason run size will be released August 6th. The above numbers will change according to the inseason run size estimate. Wait to make your plans on August 6th. There is a lot working against us with the recent decision to add another 10% of the TAC away from Area D and into the Five Nations TAC. This allocation change was not discussed on the Area 25 round table but was dictated by someone in Ottawa. As last year, the decision completely blind sided the Area D HC and those members for Area D who site on the area 25 round table. The Area D Gillnet Association is working to remind the Feds to our legal right to compensation for the lost fish.
Area 23 will open to Area D gillnets August 23. The FN will fish first this year August 21st. What remains of our TAC will be open to be caught on August 29th. I dont have the numbers of the top of my head but I do have someone looking them up for me. I will post them when I have the correct info.
Barry

Sadly every year around Aug 11-13 they seem to allow a opening. Watch here for area 25. https://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fns-sap/index-eng.cfm

From face book

Quick update on Nootka
Fishing for Area D August 12th, 2100hrs to 0100 hrs possible extension to 0600 depending on catch. If the fish are not caught on the first night there will be an extension for as many as two more nights. If the fish are still not caught we will start again August 19th same as above scenario. At the preseason forecast run size Area d has 4170 Canuma fish to catch. We also swapped are Burman/Gold River fish so that adds another 1050 fish to make our total 5220.
This is the preseason fishing plan. The inseason run size will be released August 6th. The above numbers will change according to the inseason run size estimate. Wait to make your plans on August 6th. There is a lot working against us with the recent decision to add another 10% of the TAC away from Area D and into the Five Nations TAC. This allocation change was not discussed on the Area 25 round table but was dictated by someone in Ottawa. As last year, the decision completely blind sided the Area D HC and those members for Area D who site on the area 25 round table. The Area D Gillnet Association is working to remind the Feds to our legal right to compensation for the lost fish.
Area 23 will open to Area D gillnets August 23. The FN will fish first this year August 21st. What remains of our TAC will be open to be caught on August 29th. I dont have the numbers of the top of my head but I do have someone looking them up for me. I will post them when I have the correct info.
Barry
Sigh... I guess that's not great news for someone going up to fish recreationally on the 16th and 17th.

Back from 2 night camp on bligh island. Lots of small fish around Saturday and Sunday worked hard to find a couple decent sized ones I felt like keeping. Most where legal just not the same size as same time last year. Monday dried up a bit. Out of the larger ones I kept I noticed completely empty stomachs, the fish are there and lock jaw? Great weather! all in all good trip look forward to next year.

Sigh... I guess that's not great news for someone going up to fish recreationally on the 16th and 17th.
Not necessarily. They tend to set their nets around Galiano Bay and then East up the inlet right in to where Moutcha Bay is. I tend to think they scoop up the darker fish that have been around for a while staging closer to the Canuma river. Work those point further West to look for fresher fish.

Not necessarily. They tend to set their nets around Galiano Bay and then East up the inlet right in to where Moutcha Bay is. I tend to think they scoop up the darker fish that have been around for a while staging closer to the Canuma river. Work those point further West to look for fresher fish.
Thanks Blue. Still learning the ins and outs, so not sure where Galiano Bay is but will try and figure it out. We're staying at Moutcha Bay and fishing in a 18' rental boat, so weren't planning to run out any further than we need to. Kind of was assuming Camel Rock, the Wall, Hoise mostly. But we've only got the boat for 2 days so we'll go where prospects are best and keep our ears open at the dock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back