2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
From face book

Quick update on Nootka
Fishing for Area D August 12th, 2100hrs to 0100 hrs possible extension to 0600 depending on catch. If the fish are not caught on the first night there will be an extension for as many as two more nights. If the fish are still not caught we will start again August 19th same as above scenario. At the preseason forecast run size Area d has 4170 Canuma fish to catch. We also swapped are Burman/Gold River fish so that adds another 1050 fish to make our total 5220.
This is the preseason fishing plan. The inseason run size will be released August 6th. The above numbers will change according to the inseason run size estimate. Wait to make your plans on August 6th. There is a lot working against us with the recent decision to add another 10% of the TAC away from Area D and into the Five Nations TAC. This allocation change was not discussed on the Area 25 round table but was dictated by someone in Ottawa. As last year, the decision completely blind sided the Area D HC and those members for Area D who site on the area 25 round table. The Area D Gillnet Association is working to remind the Feds to our legal right to compensation for the lost fish.
Area 23 will open to Area D gillnets August 23. The FN will fish first this year August 21st. What remains of our TAC will be open to be caught on August 29th. I dont have the numbers of the top of my head but I do have someone looking them up for me. I will post them when I have the correct info.
Barry
That’s in the DFO playbook, make us think our consultations have some weight and then do whatever is politically best for them to try and keep their seats

Thanks Blue. Still learning the ins and outs, so not sure where Galiano Bay is but will try and figure it out. We're staying at Moutcha Bay and fishing in a 18' rental boat, so weren't planning to run out any further than we need to. Kind of was assuming Camel Rock, the Wall, Hoise mostly. But we've only got the boat for 2 days so we'll go where prospects are best and keep our ears open at the dock!
Galliano is just down past the end East end of the wall. I'm on my 3rd year of Nootka and slowly figuring it out a bit more each year where to try and what to use. The main thing I have learned is you have to keep moving trying to find those fish. If I don't see much on the sounder after a few passes in one area I move on. Often pick up a fish right after a move to a new spot. Funny how that happens.

Galliano is just down past the end East end of the wall. I'm on my 3rd year of Nootka and slowly figuring it out a bit more each year where to try and what to use. The main thing I have learned is you have to keep moving trying to find those fish. If I don't see much on the sounder after a few passes in one area I move on. Often pick up a fish right after a move to a new spot. Funny how that happens.
Thanks Blue. Looking forward to figuring it out for myself too!

Thanks Blue. Looking forward to figuring it out for myself too!
One tip I got from Sam the head guide at Nootka Marine, in August you must run purple flashers on the inside. So that's what I run, except for first light I will run glow in the early morning or if I run a line deeper 100ft plus. The rest of the day it's purple for me :)

One tip I got from Sam the head guide at Nootka Marine, in August you must run purple flashers on the inside. So that's what I run, except for first light I will run glow in the early morning or if I run a line deeper 100ft plus. The rest of the day it's purple for me :)
Been along time since I’ve ran a purple haze!! Launching tomorrow morning in GR and staying at Nootka Sound Resort for 4 nights. Hopefully catch a few of you on the water! Will be in my 18’ BV CC

Baked in the sun with my pops last week and brought home our 8 fish despite really odd fishing. The water temperature in the sound was 70+ degrees basically the whole trip, fish were super deep and we never saw a solid 'bite' during our trip. Missed the scenery, the people, and the grady whites passing by at full speed 20 meters away from you trolling. Ha!

Til next time.

Nootka round table update Friday August 5th.
Run size down graded from preseason 40K to 26K. As a result of the downgrade area d TAC is<50 fish. Nootka will not open August 12th. Area D asked for a terminal fishery if hatchery achieves brood stock capture. There is no way to adjust the in season forecast so a terminal fishery is our only possibility for this season in Nootka. I will post the technical info below

Run size down graded from preseason 40K to 26K. As a result of the downgrade area d TAC is<50 fish. Nootka will not open August 12th. Area D asked for a terminal fishery if hatchery achieves brood stock capture. There is no way to adjust the in season forecast so a terminal fishery is our only possibility for this season in Nootka. I will post the technical info below
That might explain why the fishing at Sandstone, Rosa and the other usual Canuma fish hangouts has not been what we are used to.

Wow that really sucks. We're up there next week.

I hope this isn't a trend for rest of wcvi fish. Don't normally see a run slashed almost in half.

Well, we just finished our first trip to Nootka, and it wasn't epic. Very rough boat ride in from Gold River on Tuesday. The warning was for a Gale, and for our 18' boat we were about at the limit.
Anyway after getting settled we headed out for a few hours before dark. We fished the wall and Camel Rock. We were around probably close to 100 boats and didn't see 1 fish landed.
Wed AM we started at Hoiss and did see a couple of springs landed amongst numerous boats. I did have 1 chovie come up banged up, so may have had a hit, but after an hour and a half decided to move on. Managed to find our coho at the Lighthouse and they seemed to be there in numbers, then went out further for some ling and sea bass. Hit Hoiss again on the way in, but no luck. Finished the day with a bucket of fish, but not the springs we came for.
Thurs we tried the wall again first thing; 5 min in we had a massive hit, but the hooks just didn't stick. I thought things were going to start getting better, but that was the highlight of the day. Went in for breakfast, packed our stuff, and headed back to the lighthouse. Coho didn't seem to be there in huge numbers compared to the day before, but picked up a couple before heading for the boat ramp.
Obviously you start second guessing yourself at that point, but chatting with the guides, they'd had a couple of really tough days as well. Other boats we talked to at the resort that stayed close for springs were generally getting skunked or the odd fish. My buddy and I left disappointed with Moutcha Bay as well unfortunately. Overall, an enjoyable experience, but not one that makes me want to spend the extra cash in fuel and the resort compared to Bamfield coming in from Nanaimo.

Well, we just finished our first trip to Nootka, and it wasn't epic. Very rough boat ride in from Gold River on Tuesday. The warning was for a Gale, and for our 18' boat we were about at the limit.
Anyway after getting settled we headed out for a few hours before dark. We fished the wall and Camel Rock. We were around probably close to 100 boats and didn't see 1 fish landed.
Wed AM we started at Hoiss and did see a couple of springs landed amongst numerous boats. I did have 1 chovie come up banged up, so may have had a hit, but after an hour and a half decided to move on. Managed to find our coho at the Lighthouse and they seemed to be there in numbers, then went out further for some ling and sea bass. Hit Hoiss again on the way in, but no luck. Finished the day with a bucket of fish, but not the springs we came for.
Thurs we tried the wall again first thing; 5 min in we had a massive hit, but the hooks just didn't stick. I thought things were going to start getting better, but that was the highlight of the day. Went in for breakfast, packed our stuff, and headed back to the lighthouse. Coho didn't seem to be there in huge numbers compared to the day before, but picked up a couple before heading for the boat ramp.
Obviously you start second guessing yourself at that point, but chatting with the guides, they'd had a couple of really tough days as well. Other boats we talked to at the resort that stayed close for springs were generally getting skunked or the odd fish. My buddy and I left disappointed with Moutcha Bay as well unfortunately. Overall, an enjoyable experience, but not one that makes me want to spend the extra cash in fuel and the resort compared to Bamfield coming in from Nanaimo.
What disappointed at Moutcha?

That’s too bad. You’re experience isn’t the norm, although you probably need 4-5 days at Nootka to get your spring limit between 2 people. Some days are zero sum days others jackpots. It took us 6 days to get 6 decent Springs this year on the first trip. Most got on one of those 6 days. Never had an issue with Moutcha although I only stop there for lunch or processing. Try Critter Cove next time.

Ran into Nootka Sound Resort Thursday afternoon. Fished for a few hours at San Carlos and Camel. Picked up 2. Nothing big. Definitely have to work for them! Lot of bait and fish marked on sounder but doesn’t seem like these fish are actively feeding. Empty stomachs on both.

Today ran offshore to look for some chromers with the old man on the hwy with our friends in their big Conquest as buddy boat. We both put some chromers in the box but a lot of unders in the mix. Probably should’ve ran big plugs/spoons to avoid but flasher and 602 hooch did the trick. First time fishing Nootka so lots to learn. Very different fishery from Tofino(haven’t fished Bam.)

Going to try first light bite on inside then maybe run out for some white meat and then ho’s off Lighthouse area.

Cant say enough good things about this lodge though. Top notch. Paul runs a great operation, the rooms and food are excellent, and the dock is great to kick back. Multiple fire pits and covered gazebos. Here till Monday so hopefully can’t get a little more dialled before we leave. Up here with the folks and my gal so have to work around different wake up times. Will be up early again with the old man!

Attachments

• F8053284-BEFA-40EF-A9B3-924BC1B28344.jpeg
    F8053284-BEFA-40EF-A9B3-924BC1B28344.jpeg
    455.9 KB · Views: 205
  • 0AC851D7-59BB-4337-8091-486BDBF0CBF8.jpeg
    0AC851D7-59BB-4337-8091-486BDBF0CBF8.jpeg
    395 KB · Views: 196
  • CBF05A99-4179-40CC-BC6E-42A4408C60CC.jpeg
    CBF05A99-4179-40CC-BC6E-42A4408C60CC.jpeg
    438.9 KB · Views: 193
  • 86677CF4-2418-4881-90CA-B7D21081FF19.jpeg
    86677CF4-2418-4881-90CA-B7D21081FF19.jpeg
    163.8 KB · Views: 193
  • FC64B9AA-674A-4DB4-A89A-81AFADC390E1.jpeg
    FC64B9AA-674A-4DB4-A89A-81AFADC390E1.jpeg
    228.7 KB · Views: 192
  • 493199BD-FD48-463E-843A-9D4598A8E30D.jpeg
    493199BD-FD48-463E-843A-9D4598A8E30D.jpeg
    164.7 KB · Views: 212
What disappointed at Moutcha?
Big light from the bathroom building directly opposite window with very meshy blind made it very difficult to sleep in the yurt. Hanging towels helped, and the manager tells me they are looking to fix the issue. Ban on vacuum sealing fish at the cleaning station made it inconvenient, and seemed to be an attempt to get us to use the paid packaging service. Restaurant was closed the two days we were there. Gas pump that worked poorly for some boats (mine was one) and resulted in creating an environmental mess and waste of fuel while filling my boat. Dinged for Freezer space if you wanted it. Dinged me for OJ with the complementary breakfast. And a few other little things that started to make me wonder where our $400 a night was going for a slip and glorified tent.
The slip was fine and the staff were good, but the general sense I got was that they were looking for customers that were happy to be upsold on things. Though I'm not sure even that type of customer would be happy with the lack of food service which happened to be the 2 evenings we were there.

Ban on vacuum sealing fish at the cleaning station made it inconvenient, and seemed to be an attempt to get us to use the paid packaging service.

That and the electrical setup in the fish cleaning area is mickey-mouse.
Restaurant was closed the two days we were there. Gas pump that worked poorly for some boats (mine was one) and resulted in creating an environmental mess and waste of fuel while filling my boat.
AFAICT it's always been buggered like that.
Dinged for Freezer space if you wanted it. Dinged me for OJ with the complementary breakfast. And a few other little things that started to make me wonder where our $400 a night was going for a slip and glorified tent.
The slip was fine and the staff were good, but the general sense I got was that they were looking for customers that were happy to be upsold on things. Though I'm not sure even that type of customer would be happy with the lack of food service which happened to be the 2 evenings we were there.
The place is notorious for that they tried to charge me $50 for 'cleaning the garbage out of my rental' the problem is that I took all my garbage home with me and then ended up sending them an email showing it sitting in my kitchen because I hadn't quite disposed of it-I always bring my garbage back when I'm in some place that doesn't have a robust system like downtown Vancouver where I live-here's the evidence.

IMGP0150.jpg

Big light from the bathroom building directly opposite window with very meshy blind made it very difficult to sleep in the yurt. Hanging towels helped, and the manager tells me they are looking to fix the issue. Ban on vacuum sealing fish at the cleaning station made it inconvenient, and seemed to be an attempt to get us to use the paid packaging service. Restaurant was closed the two days we were there. Gas pump that worked poorly for some boats (mine was one) and resulted in creating an environmental mess and waste of fuel while filling my boat. Dinged for Freezer space if you wanted it. Dinged me for OJ with the complementary breakfast. And a few other little things that started to make me wonder where our $400 a night was going for a slip and glorified tent.
We were staying at cougar creek and came by for a shower (something we’ve done for the last decade) and we were turned away this year. Same night we were treated like sh*t by restaurant staff. Bummer.

364 Days till we return:) Came out of Nootka yesterday and what an amazing trip. The crew at Critter Cove are always so accommodating, such a beautiful place to stay and get away from a busy world for some quality family time, truly a special treat to be able to stay as their guests in this piece of heaven.

Fishing was good inside, our buddy boats all limited out on bait with green glow teaser heads green flashers 55 to 80 feet of water. Hoiss morning hits and the Wall afternoon most productive. Hoiss gave us a morning double header at 37 and 47 bait one side and spoon the other, with a strong bite that turned off the next morning. As others have said some days lots of fish other days you wonder if you can catch anything.

Went quiet Thursday and Friday mornings when we left with the fleet moving north of the wall for fish staging maybe for moving in. Some radio chatter for fish being landed but we didn’t see a lot of nets out along the wall and camel.

Our best fish was off Hoiss - black flasher 3.5 cop car spoon at 85 feet on the rigger - 150 feet of water.

Outside lots of Coho but we found no nooks but our neighbor boat reporting full quotas jigging of the rocks and others doing better….so I’ll call that the fisherman and not the fish for lack of strikes:)

We lost our port motor on the run back into GR….yet even that made me smile as she gave me the full week with no issue and if it’s going to go out on me after 2k hours best to do it 20 minutes from the ramp at the end of the trip. Any hot tips on Verado repower I’ll welcome a DM.

Best of luck to those returning. Even without fish I’d spend gladly spend my summer holiday at Critter Cove - no better place or people to unwind with!

Attachments

• 2A0D2880-8DD0-4FED-BDA4-896963B2133F.jpeg
    2A0D2880-8DD0-4FED-BDA4-896963B2133F.jpeg
    203.9 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back