2022 Nootka Sound/Esperanza Inlet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone stayed at the Ridgeview motor inn In Gold River? I booked one night on my way to Moutcha there
Yes. Stayed there many times. It’s a place to rest your head. Make sure you ask for a room with air. Take your own pillow. I’ve parked the boat there many times. Never an issue. Have a beer and burger next door and enjoy the view.

Last edited:
what on earth….i wonder if they got picked up and dumped on Wash Rock and rolled it like that fella did down island earlier this summer? hope all are ok…

Just finished a stay at critter cove sleeping on the boat , service was excellent as always.
We did the morning bite at Hoiss picked a couple up each day 15 Lb the biggest

Didn’t go out to the lighthouse the first day Thursday scared off from the fog , had a little kid with us, manned up the next 2 days and went out managed a few between the lighthouse and maquinna
The winds were good outside in the morning
Got a spring and a ling at beer can bay in the afternoon that was a bonus.
All in all the fish are smaller but a good trip as always
Anywhere with no cell phones is awesome

Just back from moutcha. The weather was almost unbearable. Fishing was good for us. 11 spring biggest was 21.morning bite at hoisse was short . Better at the wall for us. We found outside was slow but did manage a couple coho. Yesterday was great by the wall. Multiple people hooking fish . 65-80 on the rigger white hootchi or small spoons bite lasted all day over there.
hope this helps.

Attachments

• 4AB844EE-2BE8-45C4-BCD5-358B67A5759A.jpeg
    4AB844EE-2BE8-45C4-BCD5-358B67A5759A.jpeg
    218.7 KB · Views: 132
For you guys pulling Skinny Gs and Coho Killers, are you putting them behind a 360 flasher or inline flasher? Or just running them solo?
To answer your question, almost everyone here will be running downriggers, 11" flashers and spoons, chovies, hootchies behind that. Inlines are unheard of here, except as dummy flashers off of the cannonballs occasionally.

Just back tonight from four days at Moutcha Bay. Managed our 16 springs but a couple were "table fish" (ie 3-4 lbs) and only one over 20. Best luck was at Hoise early. Once the sun was up everything was deep 79 - 90 feet) on either anchovy or small white hootchie. Did get out to Wash for a half dozen coho and a nice spring (19 lb) bottom bouncing. Did venture out ten miles for a very expensive ling cod (gas price reference). Even though the evenings were mostly a bust, we did land our only double header Saturday evening at the Wall which included our only 22.
All in all another fun trip with great weather and wonderful swimming off the dock and even checked the Upanna caves off the bucket list.

Seas don’t look that rough. Hard to understand that causing it.

On Facebook I saw someone comment they took on wave and inspection hatch was open. It also was noted that many around them just kept trolling even though the call went out, and in a high traffic area. Looks like they made it out OK according from what I read.

****** deal that is nice boat.

The boat that floundered and capssised Maquinna point....yesterday morning

I noticed them having problems, and trolled out to them,

i plucked 2 off the sinking boat as it rolled at my boat, smashing there rods on my deck from there radar arch. the other 2 clinging to the side of my boat, i had to gunn it as the boat rolled one last time, it was going to either squish them between the boats, the hard top was going to hook me as it rolled over and the hard top would have perhaps hooked 1 or both as it flipped. it had to gunn it short burst to get away and not chew up someone inthe prop, we threw lifre ring and jackets at them and backed up on them.

Thanx to wayne from nootka lodge for coming out to see if i needed help.. All four were safley returned to savedera.

and thanx to the 3 clients i had on board. this all took place in a matter of probably 3 minutes. between me running the boat, 1 throwing life jackets from the ceiling of the sorft top where i keep them, 1 throwing life ring and 1 pulling people in,,,,,, you cant rehearse that, and it would have been a different out come likely

if i had to guess on the cause of the capsizing, i would say the transome inspection hatch popped open and bilge cant keep up to that, it was steep tide slop,

Just back from Nootka. Once again Critter cove was outstanding. Inside fishing was great. Morning bite at Hoiss was good 65 feet was my go to depth.
outside- Lots of coho. Varying depths….
Bottom fish was good. Trolled up a 53 pound halibut, multiple Lings….
Great trip can not wait to get back
Met a few forum members. Awesome time

i plucked 2 off the sinking boat as it rolled at my boat, smashing there rods on my deck from there radar arch. the other 2 clinging to the side of my boat, i had to gunn it as the boat rolled one last time, it was going to either squish them between the boats, the hard top was going to hook me as it rolled over and the hard top would have perhaps hooked 1 or both as it flipped. it had to gunn it short burst to get away and not chew up someone inthe prop, we threw lifre ring and jackets at them and backed up on them.

Thanx to wayne from nootka lodge for coming out to see if i needed help.. All four were safley returned to savedera.

and thanx to the 3 clients i had on board. this all took place in a matter of probably 3 minutes. between me running the boat, 1 throwing life jackets from the ceiling of the sorft top where i keep them, 1 throwing life ring and 1 pulling people in,,,,,, you cant rehearse that, and it would have been a different out come likely

if i had to guess on the cause of the capsizing, i would say the transome inspection hatch popped open and bilge cant keep up to that, it was steep tide slop,
Thank you. Great that people like you make a decision to engage at your own great personal risk. We seem to have lost that in recent years where people are concerned about liability or legal implications or some other bs. Just curious what happened to the boat. I see the Coast Guard dragging it behind their Rib. Did they take it to the Friendly Cove CG Station? Did they pump it out or did it eventually sink? Curious to know in such a rural setting how they deal with these situations.

That was some fast thinking on your part. Great to see a mariner paying attention and helping out when critically needed.

Glad to hear you did what you did, and glad all are ok !

Well Done! Did they have time to call a mayday or fire off a flare?

Hi All,
Just heading up to Nootka for the first time tomorrow and looking for a little advice on tackle.
We generally fish spoons or chovies, and occasionally plugs if there are quality fish around or trying to keep of smalls.
So, sizes/ colours for spoons? Or are we better to go chovies all the way?
Thanks in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back