2022 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heading to Bamfield later this week and have moorage booked from Thursday - Sunday. We are considering heading on Wednesday, launching in PA Wednesday afternoon, and dropping the hook somewhere in the inlet overnight, so we can target Sockeye in the inlet on Thursday morning. Any reasonably safe anchorages in the inlet? Can you anchor in San Mateo Bay rather than running to somewhere in the Broken Group?
San Mateo has a dock you can tie up to for the night. It’s actually pretty nice

Heading to Bamfield later this week and have moorage booked from Thursday - Sunday. We are considering heading on Wednesday, launching in PA Wednesday afternoon, and dropping the hook somewhere in the inlet overnight, so we can target Sockeye in the inlet on Thursday morning. Any reasonably safe anchorages in the inlet? Can you anchor in San Mateo Bay rather than running to somewhere in the Broken Group?
You could anchor in Nahmint Bay (south side) or in Hook Bay which is just north of Nahmint. I think there is still a float in Hook Bay. You would be right at the sockeye fishing area. Hot weather is forecast for later this week so expect stiff thermal winds in the inlet in the afternoons.

You could anchor in Nahmint Bay (south side) or in Hook Bay which is just north of Nahmint. I think there is still a float in Hook Bay. You would be right at the sockeye fishing area. Hot weather is forecast for later this week so expect stiff thermal winds in the inlet in the afternoons.
The dock was still in hook bay the last time I went by. Works great. Un tie your boat and drop your lines.

We fished Barkley from Thursday to Sunday. Caught fish everywhere. Seemed to be as many 6 to 8 lb chinook as you wanted to keep. We high graded and came back with a cooler full of 11 to 13 pounders. Never caught anything bigger than 13. Tons of action though. Swale was where the most action was. Anywhere from 55 to 85 feet, tons of bait. Sanford, Fleming, Bradys and the Bamfield Wall all produced as well. Small spoons, long leaders and blue Flashers. Good luck!
PF

Decided to skip sockeye fishing this weekend and am taking the family up to Bamfield Friday-Sunday.

Looking for any updated reports on the south side of the sound, the kids would even have a blast just catching early season Coho which are basically equivalent to sockeye in size and taste in my books anyways.

Arrived in China Creek on Sunday staying for a week. So far nothing to show for. Unlike last week, only 3 or 4 fish per day were caught for the entire campground. Apparently all sockeye went right to the river after the rain. The river is full of the fish though. Hope the next school show up soon.

The Wall and Harbour Mouth has been good. That said, head over to the Deer Group and fish Kirby, Sandford and or Flemming. Irish cream Skinny Gs 6' behind your fav flasher at 55'. It was money on the weekend. Kirby had a nice run of coho move through as well. Springs were smallish, mostly 6 - 8 lbs but wade through them and you'll get into some in the teens. Super fun!
'Enjoy...

Thanks guys, we are headed up tonight and will fish tomorrow and Sunday AM. Will report back afterwards. Hoping for lots of action for the kiddos.

I know the topic has been beat to death on this forum but I’m looking for advice regarding launching at Clutesi and boating out to Bamfield. My conundrum is that the tides are terrible on July 15th when we are planning to head out. We are planning to fish part of the day prior to checking in at Mills Landing in the afternoon.
Because the tide is about a foot at 7 am and minus a foot at 8:40 am, am I better off launching a bit later and dealing with the rougher water in the inlet? Is it even advisable to try launching on such a low tide? Or should I **** the bed and leave in the dark to trailer from Chemainus? I’m running a Campion 682 so the boat can probably handle the chop even if it’s an hour of no fun.

Hi Squire. If I were you I would delay until you have 2-3 feet tide. The inlet doesn’t usually kick up until 11-12 AM. Usually. If the FN are netting the river that day, it can be a circus at the ramp and in the river.

I know the topic has been beat to death on this forum but I’m looking for advice regarding launching at Clutesi and boating out to Bamfield. My conundrum is that the tides are terrible on July 15th when we are planning to head out. We are planning to fish part of the day prior to checking in at Mills Landing in the afternoon.
Because the tide is about a foot at 7 am and minus a foot at 8:40 am, am I better off launching a bit later and dealing with the rougher water in the inlet? Is it even advisable to try launching on such a low tide? Or should I **** the bed and leave in the dark to trailer from Chemainus? I’m running a Campion 682 so the boat can probably handle the chop even if it’s an hour of no fun.

My buddy has a 682 and runs the inlet all the time and never worry about namint bay, your boat can handle it, questin is can you ??? Lol, it’s a 15min run across, clear sailing after the bay

Thanks for the replies gents. I have made the run from Nanaimo Harbour up to Powell River a couple of times fighting stiff NW winds with waves big enough to dip the bow a few times and it’s exhausting. I’m hoping Alberni Inlet is tamer than that.

Thanks for the replies gents. I have made the run from Nanaimo Harbour up to Powell River a couple of times fighting stiff NW winds with waves big enough to dip the bow a few times and it’s exhausting. I’m hoping Alberni Inlet is tamer than that.

Yes it is tamer than that. Just wind chop. Usually 1-2’ wind waves. Sometimes 3’. Occasionally 4’. Today it’s calm.
Hint: When you get to 10 mile point, run up the east shoreline past all the cabins. It cuts off at least 2 miles of the bumpy stuff.

Way tamer. It's not bad. You got a big boat also.

Just really watch out for logs. Personally if I were you I would take off earlier. Launch early, and it will be flatter. When its washing mcahine you can't see the logs.

leave at first light.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back