2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

West Van. Took an hour to slog out to the lighthouse through 6 foot swells. Even tried a pass at the bell at the end of the day but couldn't fool any of them. Just massive bait balls and fish everywhere
Well, that sucks!

Well, that sucks!
I've had some amazing days lately. In fact the past few years I've upped my game substantially. But every year I still go through a few days of blanks. Sometimes I feel like it's payment to the fish gods. Gotta have bad days to appreciate the good ones.

The day was actually really special to me because I got to take out my 11 year old niece. She put on a happy face even though the conditions would have made a seasoned vet white knuckle it. I knew how to make her smile when things were tough.
IMG_66971.jpg20210822_125847.jpg

Last edited:
West Van. Took an hour to slog out to the lighthouse through 6 foot swells. Even tried a pass at the bell at the end of the day but couldn't fool any of them. Just massive bait balls and fish everywhere
hard to compete with the real thing. sometimes heaps of bait isn’t a good thing ( for us )

hard to compete with the real thing. sometimes heaps of bait isn’t a good thing ( for us )
I think when there is too much bait it can be tough to get a bite because the salmon have to many options. I noticed it a lot in the winter. Days there would be a ton of bait in the Harbour didn't necessarily produce fish.

Blame it on the huge tide swings during the day. It's pretty tough to get fish interested in a 13' to 15' swing.

Tides are going to be very favourable for fishing next weekend!

Last edited:
I've had some amazing days lately. In fact the past few years I've upped my game substantially. But every year I still go through a few days of blanks. Sometimes I feel like it's payment to the fish gods. Gotta have bad days to appreciate the good ones.

The day was actually really special to me because I got to take out my 11 year old niece. She put on a happy face even though the conditions would have made a seasoned vet white knuckle it. I knew how to make her smile when things were tough.
View attachment 69587View attachment 69588
RC I had one of your types of days yesterday. Slogged it from 6:30 till around 2:30. Had an 18lb ball just drop of my tuna cord at about 40' so no snags. Got a severe tangle with 4 lines trying to turn in the middle of that wind. Just too slow and couldn't cut the the turn. One small pink to show for my efforts. Tough day. What can you do. I thought about you and just chuckled. You're probably right though, gotta be some payback.
Got to meet Jim Sweet though. That was worth the day right there.

RC I had one of your types of days yesterday. Slogged it from 6:30 till around 2:30. Had an 18lb ball just drop of my tuna cord at about 40' so no snags. Got a severe tangle with 4 lines trying to turn in the middle of that wind. Just too slow and couldn't cut the the turn. One small pink to show for my efforts. Tough day. What can you do. I thought about you and just chuckled. You're probably right though, gotta be some payback.
Got to meet Jim Sweet though. That was worth the day right there.
Wait a minute here. @sweettjim went fishing and didn't post a report?! "How Deep Jim" didn't tell us how deep?! I'm appalled.

Unfortunately I’ve gotta go to Spain for 2 months and won’t be fishing every day like I usually do in Sept this year. I’m gonna miss it. Been waiting all year but family considerations and a phucked up COVID year has required me to change my plans. Looking forward to your daily reports from the South and North Arm gents. Slay em. I’m with ya virtually.

The time is coming boys. I have been set back by someone merging infront of me when they shouldnt have been. I was on a supersport and I had no choice but to lock the brakes. My bike instantly sent me up in the air and the back slammed down on the frame slider and handle bar slider. My hip got ripped up. swollen ankle and wrist. But i worked on the boat last week and on Wednesday going to get the engine fired up. New bearings, brakes and air compressor for the outboard.

4 downriggers with 4 wired mounts 10 gauge. All new electrical charging system with 2 awg power distribution in the cuddy. I have two independent power feeds with electric start isolation on all sensitive equipment. Thanks to the blue seas ACR. All downriggers run off house battey with bus bars and feeders.

Ill show you my work this week. its absolutely the best work possible and I hope to see you all out there on the 1st.

Back