2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

best bite i’ve had anywhere in recent memory off epsom, lost count and many in this grade. live herring / jigs / even flat lining( no weight) live herring on my 8wt. what a blast
Good to hear success story like yours. I will be heading to Desolation Sound July 18. Will stop by Epsom and try my luck with trolling. Hopefully, the fish will still be around and I will be able to catch and keep my fish by then.

Good to hear success story like yours. I will be heading to Desolation Sound July 18. Will stop by Epsom and try my luck with trolling. Hopefully, the fish will still be around and I will be able to catch and keep my fish by then.
Drop the lines at Gower Point and fish your way there! Lot's of fish around there at that time.

Tried our luck at the Gabriola reefs for bottom fish... Skunked. Decided to tour out deep for coho and caught about a dozen small grade (3-5lbs) Chinook all gaff released in water. 0 keeper crabs in two traps at Spanish banks. All in all 10/10 day on the water!

When is the best time of the year to go recreationally prawning? Besides regulation closures, is there any time in the year that it's not worth it to put the traps out? I'm unfamiliar with the prawn life cycle, thanks.

When is the best time of the year to go recreationally prawning? Besides regulation closures, is there any time in the year that it's not worth it to put the traps out? I'm unfamiliar with the prawn life cycle, thanks.
From when the commies open u til 3-4 months after they close so basically not worth it IMO between roughly June - October but then it depends on the area.

Since west of Gower will open soon ... would love to pose a question to the group. I tried that area mid July last year, and found pretty much no chinooks there at that time ... which i guess explains why DFO are letting us fish there starting Thursday.

This makes me wonder about how the sunshine coast has lots of chinooks in July but then it really drops off around mid-august. Where do those chinooks go? Don't they have to come through the area west of Gower on their way to the fraser or cap rivers? If thats the case, how come there are so few chinooks to be had west of Gower from mid-July on?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

Since west of Gower will open soon ... would love to pose a question to the group. I tried that area mid July last year, and found pretty much no chinooks there at that time ... which i guess explains why DFO are letting us fish there starting Thursday.

This makes me wonder about how the sunshine coast has lots of chinooks in July but then it really drops off around mid-august. Where do those chinooks go? Don't they have to come through the area west of Gower on their way to the fraser or cap rivers? If thats the case, how come there are so few chinooks to be had west of Gower from mid-July on?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated
did u try further out from gower up from the line where u cankeep a spring

Fished south Bowen for a couple hours. No coho for me. A few boats out there but spread out looking for fish. 2 undersize hatchery chinook released. Then tried for an hour at west van. This ebb tide that fits into my free time for fishing is just not doing it for me. Gonna keep trying!!!

Back