2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Awesome day around south Bowen. Fished 10-3 with steady action till 12:30 then really picked up around 2 when we hit a school of pinks. Caught 12 fish including coho (4 wild) 6 pinks and 4 Chinook (all unders). Big male pinks in the morning at 100ft on chovies ! Pink hootchies from 60-90 ft.for smaller females in the afternoon. Very enjoyable day

Made the trip over to entrance today. Started outside silva bay and trolled to entrance. A lot more action by silva bay. But still all undersize. Got to entrance and guys are fishing deep. I only had my 15s and wasn't getting any action. So we went back to where we started and the action picked up. But nothing. Maybe 7 Chinook today between 30 and 55 cm. I'm going to try again this week and try anchovies.

Made the trip over to entrance today. Started outside silva bay and trolled to entrance. A lot more action by silva bay. But still all undersize. Got to entrance and guys are fishing deep. I only had my 15s and wasn't getting any action. So we went back to where we started and the action picked up. But nothing. Maybe 7 Chinook today between 30 and 55 cm. I'm going to try again this week and try anchovies.
On that side no need for anchovies. In my experience at least. 20lb ball. Deep and as fast as you dare to go. Skinny Gs or hootchies. My preference is the Skinny G. The sounder will tell you the depth. But usually 100’ plus. Too many troll way to slow. These salmon are not geriatrics.

Went to Gower today to scout the place out. Got some Chinooks but all undersized, with the largest being approx 55 cm. Hooked them all at 50 ft on rigger in about 80 feet of water. Didnt get any hookups deep. Also some cohos thrown in that were legal but not big enough to be worth cleaning.

So basically, sont go to Gower unless you need a fix nearby

Identified my gf as a chum. Don’t trust it. Heading out tomorrow to cross the pond. Will report back!
Well... dragged my old man and bro across for a fish after a late start. Was a bit sloppy for a bit but mellowed out as the day went on. Managed to find our 3 in the slot but had to sift through some unders and overs. Hoochies DEEP DEEP around Entrance. Ride home was a lot better. Where there was bait, there was fish.

Attachments

• AEFF92FF-D9B1-4120-87F9-C1AB4300C53C.jpeg
    AEFF92FF-D9B1-4120-87F9-C1AB4300C53C.jpeg
    260.8 KB · Views: 171
Well... dragged my old man and bro across for a fish after a late start. Was a bit sloppy for a bit but mellowed out as the day went on. Managed to find our 3 in the slot but had to sift through some unders and overs. Hoochies DEEP DEEP around Entrance. Ride home was a lot better. Where there was bait, there was fish.
Yeah I saw you there

On that side no need for anchovies. In my experience at least. 20lb ball. Deep and as fast as you dare to go. Skinny Gs or hootchies. My preference is the Skinny G. The sounder will tell you the depth. But usually 100’ plus. Too many troll way to slow. These salmon are not geriatrics.
I saw a few boats bouncing bottom at 240ft deep. Last year I did that at entrance but I had my reel with braided line and a top shot. With 18s. Yesterday I had the 15s with a broken plastic clip that wouldn't close. Spent most the day at 140 with tons of blow back. So closer to 100ft. The shakers are small. I spent last night selecting new gear for next week that the shakers won't shake. Definitely bringing the 18s.

I saw a few boats bouncing bottom at 240ft deep. Last year I did that at entrance but I had my reel with braided line and a top shot. With 18s. Yesterday I had the 15s with a broken plastic clip that wouldn't close. Spent most the day at 140 with tons of blow back. So closer to 100ft. The shakers are small. I spent last night selecting new gear for next week that the shakers won't shake. Definitely bringing the 18s.

Fwiw it’s hootchies and plugs only for me this time of year over there. Deep and fast troll. Not my favorite style but puts them in. Splatter backs chartreuse and blue were good this morning. 197/207

For emergency fixes on the fly for clips that aren't working, cracked, weak tension etc I like to carry magic thread and spider thread with me to wrap around the end of the clip to tighten the tension if needed. I do this as well if fishing very deep with the riggers where more drag is put on the clip tension. You can also use elastic bands in a pinch too if you have to. Just helps in a pinch if your out of new clips or good clips and have to use what you have at the time cause fishin is good.

Fwiw it’s hootchies and plugs only for me this time of year over there. Deep and fast troll. Not my favorite style but puts them in. Splatter backs chartreuse and blue were good this morning. 197/207
What is a fast troll? Close to 3 knots? Thanks!

Start there and keep speeding up until you think you're going to rip your gear off. To the point that your gear is damn near straight back. Then slow down a bit.

If there was an award for loosing the most fish I would of won it today. Lots of coho and pinks locally.
Try a slower speed? They were just missing at a fast speed yesterday. Everytime we turns which slowed the rigger downward we'd get a hit and stuck.

Boxed a couple good eaters this morning (done in an hour) ... a 7 and 9# just off Grande in about 200 ft water with riggers at 150 and 130 dragging Bon Chovy flashers and Irish cream spoons both sides. Damn boat issues getting the better of us though. Third time out that we've had to go back into Ladysmith on the kicker. Enough with trying to resolve the engine issue ourselves. Time to take it to the pros but I'm guessing they're all pretty swamped right now.

Fished West Van yesterday between Atkinson and Fisheries. Late start, dropped lines in at 10;30. It was quite active for us up till we pulled the gear at 3:00 pm. Boxed three hatch coho, got a nice 5 lb pink, and released a beauty 15 lb spring. A few others lost, and a number of hits that didn’t stick. Most action between 50 anew 65 ft on white and white/green hootchies.

Back