2021 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Seen more than a couple undersize salmon being boxed at cap today. They looked like trout but never went back in the water. I don’t know if this is a trend but people with bigger boats seem to have a harder time following the rules.

also got a chinook that looked like a keeper but after quadruple checking, it was 61cm. Broke my heart but it was revived alongside the boat. Took a bit longer than usual because I was so shocked that I kept measuring it, but it swam off happy in the end.

Seen more than a couple undersize salmon being boxed at cap today. They looked like trout but never went back in the water. I don’t know if this is a trend but people with bigger boats seem to have a harder time following the rules.

also got a chinook that looked like a keeper but after quadruple checking, it was 61cm. Broke my heart but it was revived alongside the boat. Took a bit longer than usual because I was so shocked that I kept measuring it, but it swam off happy in the end.
Did you report that boat? There’s probably more dfo boats out than normal so maybe they would actually check

Probably coho

Ok I'll bite...as the fish sure AF aren't, for me anyway. I was at the SH by 630 which was a cool rip out in the dark from the north shore. Worked around all aspects with only a sweet pink until 11, no one else I saw had any action. Picked em up and went to t10 until 1, seemed fisher but only 2 feeders, spent the last 2 hours off the NA. I saw one net come out off t10 but they missed it at the boat.

So the stink continues...super nice day out too.

When to a place today that shall remain nameless….where we saw some small ones netted. When it turned in to a mosh pit we took a page out of RC’s play book and went way away from the pack, just west of a large pink building. No one around at all, 110’ of water and 65’ on rigger when we had a good scrap with this little 12 lb hatchery marble. The stomach had this large ? fish in it. Going to bring out two different sized bait next time.

Attachments

• FB99E40E-F5AF-41BB-BAA1-9AAEA7E07993.jpeg
    FB99E40E-F5AF-41BB-BAA1-9AAEA7E07993.jpeg
    330.1 KB · Views: 241
  • B75A1A1C-CBC9-4620-8D52-52687045D8A6.jpeg
    B75A1A1C-CBC9-4620-8D52-52687045D8A6.jpeg
    355 KB · Views: 227
When to a place today that shall remain nameless….where we saw some small ones netted. When it turned in to a mosh pit we took a page out of RC’s play book and went way away from the pack, just west of a large pink building. No one around at all, 110’ of water and 65’ on rigger when we had a good scrap with this little 12 lb hatchery marble. The stomach had this large ? fish in it. Going to bring out two different sized bait next time.
Beauty chromer! Nice fish.

whitespotted greenling .

on that note two of our 5 chinook sunday were caught at the north arm and were plugged with large 5 inch sand lance??? Never seen this locally

Sorry... Not a troller.. just a newby.. I was reading the regulations. And it says it's closed for salmon for 29-9 and 10? Isn't this area the sandheads?

Am I reading this wrong?.. please give me some insight..

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Thanks in advance

Last edited:
whitespotted greenling .

on that note two of our 5 chinook sunday were caught at the north arm and were plugged with large 5 inch sand lance??? Never seen this locally

were there reproductive organs fully developed?

or do you mean the bait type

Ok I'll bite...as the fish sure AF aren't, for me anyway. I was at the SH by 630 which was a cool rip out in the dark from the north shore. Worked around all aspects with only a sweet pink until 11, no one else I saw had any action. Picked em up and went to t10 until 1, seemed fisher but only 2 feeders, spent the last 2 hours off the NA. I saw one net come out off t10 but they missed it at the boat.

So the stink continues...super nice day out too.
Hello ab, I rolled up at SH just before 7:00, I think there were 4-5 boats when I landed, obviously you were one. Six hours later I exited, stage left,
with nada, saw one fish landed ahead of me, maybe 8-10 lbs., and a few pinks here and there, but rolling whole herring keeps the pinks off, got my share earlier. I agree with sir-vivor, rain pushes the fish at the mouth in, and orcas generate an immediate urge to head for the spawning grounds, or bugger off into the deep somewhere for a couple days. I didn't think it was possible to hate the Liberals more, but I'm working on it....:mad:

Sorry... Not a troller.. just a newby.. I was reading the regulations. And it says it's closed for salmon for 29-9 and 10? Isn't this area the sandheads?

Am I reading this wrong?.. please give me some insight..

Just want to make sure I'm doing this right. Thanks in advance
That is the inshore area around sandheads. You run the risk of grounding your boat if you fish those areas. Have a look at the map. The fish able water is open.

Back