2021 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

Is there a Powell River Report? Just got to Beach Gardens for a couple days.
Couple of weeks ago we were up at Hernando / Savary.

Sat, Jul 24 at midday we fished the contours between NW tip of Savary and Hernando, between the buoys of crab traps out in 300' to the SE and the shoal. Got fish in 180' on spoons / hootchies. Limit of 2 in about an hour.

Mon, Jul 26 in the morning we fished the SE side of Twin Islands. Started at the rock face and trolled N. Lots of fish at 225' and had a limit of 2 nice 8-10lbs fish in 45 minutes.

Wed, Jul 28 we fished the SE side of Twin Islands again and the big migratory fish seemed to have moved on (or we didn't find them). We did find some small fish further N towards Cortes in 160 - 200', mostly suspended (so riggers at 55' and 95'). Lots of smaller fish around then too. This was family fishing so I was just getting folks into fish and then letting them bring them in.

Saw a few boats at Iron Mines and at the mouth of Lund as we traveled past and even a couple of nets out.

Fished the inlet today thought it would be better then PH. After a late start we caught one undersidze at 9 mile and no luck bottom fishing. On the tack home had two good thumper bites right at tuwanek but had no luck stickin em. Beauty evening it turned out to be

Does Black Point have a different name? Can’t find it in the charts.

Fished outta ph today. Wind was a little sloppy as we exited the harbour (10am). Went up the channel and flat calm. Bait every where, middle of the channel ro tight up at the rocks, and a few flopping fish. But no bites. Couldn’t believe I didnt get a smash. Bait was boiling, stacked like cordwood. Was trying a few different rigs but couldnt stick anything. Had one maybe grab, but all the lines were doing was vibrating through the bait balls. My old hummingbird didnt show any marks but I knew they’re around. Probably dozen fish flopping and most likely pinks or cohos. Classic frustrating fishing but was only at it 3-4hrs? Fished 20’-60’ on one sode and 70’- 130’ on the other. Tried a few of my classic tacks in the channel and nada, wind picked up in the channel ap we zipped home and the outer didnt look to bad at all. Kinda wish i fought it and fished bjerre but those bait balls are hard to leave. Classic tough but again beautiful day out there. Hope to be back and keep figuring it out.

Wimped out Saturday, wind, some strange wet coming from above not salty, so owed Wife a stab at it tonight, pushed off 4:20 from secret cove. Epsom, regular contours, big bait balls bites right off the first set. Courtesy releases and "lost it" just to get the flow going. Then the unicorn a just under 80cm reset then a "looks good' chin to the swim grid "has to be over 26" yup was (Close stays in the chuck) Happy wife now processing as I type. 165 on the twine, ground reading 135-45 other side130 running above ground on the other, large herring teaser head. Good times

Attachments

• IMG_0399.JPG
    IMG_0399.JPG
    351.8 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Wimped out Saturday, wind, some strange wet coming from above not salty, so owed Wife a stab at it tonight, pushed off 4:20 from secret cove. Epsom, regular contours, big bait balls bites right off the first set. Courtesy releases and "lost it" just to get the flow going. Then the unicorn a just under 80cm reset then a "looks good' chin to the swim grid "has to be over 26" yup was (Close stays in the chuck) Happy wife now processing as I type. 165 on the twine, ground reading 135-45 other side130 running above ground on the other, large herring teaser head. Good times
4:20 push off is fishy way to start the evening, great report.

I may have to come back up this weekend….. fish the outside and help my old man reset the swivel seat I busted in the chop, and replace the classic “fly overboard when top pops open emergency scotty handle that holds the counter in place” part… :p.

The need to redeem is real. Drive a man crazy

Sounds like a great outing. The unicorn just under is a beautiful fish.

I cant say any truth but its the perfect bbq fish,ime just between a feeder to breeder. Sometimes those reds look like cohos, but the whites are smoker or canned bound.

A question for all the locals......how bad and how often can agamemmon channel blow up throughout the year? Or does it stay relatively calm once your out of the straight.

A question for all the locals......how bad and how often can agamemmon channel blow up throughout the year? Or does it stay relatively calm once your out of the straight.
In my experience the wind and tides can push through pretty good making it impossible to jig. I’ve never seen it uncomfortably lumpy but there are few stretches of water that don’t get that way from time to time.

Hello,
I have a quick questions for those fishing at Epson. Love tat we can get live bait and Mooch but I'm not having any luck. Lots of hits but not many hook ups. The live herring are on the smaller size so I was wondering what size hooks are you using? I have a feeling my double single rigs might be a bit too big.

Hello,
I have a quick questions for those fishing at Epson. Love tat we can get live bait and Mooch but I'm not having any luck. Lots of hits but not many hook ups. The live herring are on the smaller size so I was wondering what size hooks are you using? I have a feeling my double single rigs might be a bit too big.
I was taught that you need to let them eat the bait. Wait a while as they mouth and swallow. Try to set the hook too quick and they will spit. Re hook size, I would get the pre rigged setups from buccaneer marina!

Back in the day, we called mooching “slack line fishing”, like the reply above, we would wait till the line went slack, thought being the fish had taken the bait and was swimming around, once the line was slack for a few seconds we would hook, generally worked well

In my experience the wind and tides can push through pretty good making it impossible to jig. I’ve never seen it uncomfortably lumpy but there are few stretches of water that don’t get that way from time to time.
Was thinking more along the lines of the water access only lots and houses up the channel. Wonder if they ever have issues with weather getting to their cabins.

Back in the day, we called mooching “slack line fishing”, like the reply above, we would wait till the line went slack, thought being the fish had taken the bait and was swimming around, once the line was slack for a few seconds we would hook, generally worked well
Thanks, will be a bit more patient before picking up the rod.

Epsom.... buddies say hey why not book out... push off around 3:30? As mentioned prior 4:20 can raise suspicion... believe me not my crew they think 4:20 would be a good time to have a early morning pee. So... Epsom canyons/contours 3 under for practice then it came on! Only fish that are about to leave the slot need to apply! Check the pics how did we get 2 at this size and not go over! 165 on the twine in 145 feet one side higher on the other by 15feet, Large herring in teasers. Both buddies scored and I called the trip! Home, process and have some laughs. Good times.

Attachments

• IMG_0412.JPG
    IMG_0412.JPG
    381.1 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_0424.JPG
    IMG_0424.JPG
    234.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
Epsom.... buddies say hey why not book out... push off around 3:30? As mentioned prior 4:20 can raise suspicion... believe me not my crew they think 4:20 would be a good time to have a early morning pee. So... Epsom canyons/contours 3 under for practice then it came on! Only fish that are about to leave the slot need to apply! Check the pics how did we get 2 at this size and not go over! 165 on the twine in 145 feet one side higher on the other by 15feet, Large herring in teasers. Both buddies scored and I called the trip! Home, process and have some laughs. Good times.

Great work, was it sporty up there or did texada provide the coverage from the nw winds?

I dropped into roberts creek on my way up and set gear but surprise the yamaha kicker wasn't firing the telltale water so I headed into the marina, cleared the blockage and will have a look tomorrow if it's not too nasty. Cheers

Thanks, will be a bit more patient before picking up the rod.
Once the rod slacks Reel in slow at first until the tip drops and the fish realizes it’s hooked takes a few to get the hang of it but a good day on the liveys beats trolling anyday! Epsom holds some nice lings too if your not getting fish up higher drop down the bottom slowly the lingcod love live herring.

Great work, was it sporty up there or did texada provide the coverage from the nw winds?

I dropped into roberts creek on my way up and set gear but surprise the yamaha kicker wasn't firing the telltale water so I headed into the marina, cleared the blockage and will have a look tomorrow if it's not too nasty. Cheers
Sorry about your kicker, Texada did it's thing by the time it got to Epsom we had rollers but flat low rollers well spaced out, completely fishable, must have had a lot of captains stay off since it was maybe 5 boats total right at Epsom. Hope you made it up, hard to give a real-time updates from my house we are well into Halfmoon Bay so looks flat most of the time. Good luck.

Sorry about your kicker, Texada did it's thing by the time it got to Epsom we had rollers but flat low rollers well spaced out, completely fishable, must have had a lot of captains stay off since it was maybe 5 boats total right at Epsom. Hope you made it up, hard to give a real-time updates from my house we are well into Halfmoon Bay so looks flat most of the time. Good luck.

Thanks, kicker resolved easily and I poked around byng on my way back to town. Heading back up tomorrow morning, see how it goes. Keep the reports coming!

Back