2021 Secret Cove, Pender Harbour and Texada Reports

I hope others have been doing better than me. It’s been very sad out there this week. I’m about ready to pack it in.

It has been pretty quiet for us too, I've been mooching off others until our boat is ready. Last Thursday night it was a pair of very nice 14 lb springs off byng evening tide. Back the next morning and humpies, coho but only undersize nooks.

Next day on Saturday it was epsom with zero tugs, then Anderson Bay which gave up a very nice ling but that's it. Headed back to Byng to RC and just on the last turn at dusk, bam finally a nice spring. Buddy gave no quarter and brought it to the boat, I put it in the net and we'll positioned on the grid to get the hook out of him before the bonk. Hook is out and all of a sudden he's sliding off the grid and blurb gone...buddys pos net had an 8" hole in it that we hadn't seen and I definitely netted the other 2 with it so I guess we got lucky. His grid is huge on the back of a 26 kingfisher...Anyway good times and lots to smile about.

I've had it go cold one before around the mid straits later July, and this year's no different it seems. Fish are coming though, don't give up!!

Lot's of pinks out here if anyone's trying to do that. Coho killer is working, as boring as it is.

Lot's of pinks out here if anyone's trying to do that. Coho killer is working, as boring as it is.
Want to take the nephews and niece out, where are the pinks?

I hope others have been doing better than me. It’s been very sad out there this week. I’m about ready to pack it in.

We fished Epsom the mornings of Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday this week.

Monday, tried the troll on the W side around contours. Nothing doing at any depth. Lots of boats out and very few (any?) nets getting any action. Tried some trolling and jigging too and no action, though I did hear a humpback (quiet with the motors off) in the distance and saw it surface to the W.

Tuesday, tried some jigging on the E side of Epsom. Lots of wind so ended up drifting quite a bit. Had to use to motor to keep somewhat vertical but still the full pull was 2 sea cucumbers and a flounder after 2 hours. So tried a troll up the E side in shallower – 60-70' with the rods set at 45' and 63'. Just about to pack it in after a pass when down goes the rod top rod. Popped right off, peeling line right away. Trolling into the wind, bouncing in the waves I made up ground and (after 3 failed solo fisherman attempts) netted a beauty 80cm spring.

So Wednesday my son came with me and we got into the chinooks again in shallow on the E side of Epsom. A limit of 2 in 45 minutes. We threw another legal back because we felt luck was on our side. In 60-70' again, riggers at 45' and 63', fishing Gibbs green / silver spoon on the top rod and a chartreuse hoochie on the bottom rod. Both pulled fish and the bite was on an hour each side of slack tide.

Attachments

• 1628196169656.jpeg
    1628196169656.jpeg
    368.9 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_4040.jpg
    IMG_4040.jpg
    407 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
It has been pretty quiet for us too, I've been mooching off others until our boat is ready. Last Thursday night it was a pair of very nice 14 lb springs off byng evening tide. Back the next morning and humpies, coho but only undersize nooks.

Next day on Saturday it was epsom with zero tugs, then Anderson Bay which gave up a very nice ling but that's it. Headed back to Byng to RC and just on the last turn at dusk, bam finally a nice spring. Buddy gave no quarter and brought it to the boat, I put it in the net and we'll positioned on the grid to get the hook out of him before the bonk. Hook is out and all of a sudden he's sliding off the grid and blurb gone...buddys pos net had an 8" hole in it that we hadn't seen and I definitely netted the other 2 with it so I guess we got lucky. His grid is huge on the back of a 26 kingfisher...Anyway good times and lots to smile about.

I've had it go cold one before around the mid straits later July, and this year's no different it seems. Fish are coming though, don't give up!!
Nooooooo. Heartbreaking to have it slide off the grid. I've had that happen a couple times as I sometimes just grab the leader and yank the fish into the cockpit and slam the door shut.

Went to Upwood this morning. Really lumpy and ugly. Had waves breaking over the bow and I'm in a 27' Ranger Tug.

The bite was on when I first arrived. A spring and two pinks to the boat in 15 minutes. Kept a big pink. The spring came so fast I didn't want to keep it. It put up a good fight but I was looking for bigger.

Went up the west side of Texada as it wasn't so rough. Some bites and a half dozen undersized ling.

Still lumpy so I headed for Anderson. Just out of the bay heading up the east side and got a nice 10lb spring.

Black Lightning as always was the winner.

Attachments

• PXL_20210805_195816074.jpg
    PXL_20210805_195816074.jpg
    527.4 KB · Views: 78
Went to Upwood this morning. Really lumpy and ugly. Had waves breaking over the bow and I'm in a 27' Ranger Tug.

The bite was on when I first arrived. A spring and two pinks to the boat in 15 minutes. Kept a big pink. The spring came so fast I didn't want to keep it. It put up a good fight but I was looking for bigger.

Went up the west side of Texada as it wasn't so rough. Some bites and a half dozen undersized ling.

Still lumpy so I headed for Anderson. Just out of the bay heading up the east side and got a nice 10lb spring.

Black Lightning as always was the winner.

Anderson Bay is an unreal place to pick up fish, tight in the bay when they hit, it is on! Great work, save some for me, there's a chance I will be back in the water tomorrow afternoon!!!

headed up to ph for a saturday fish with the buddies. Gonna stick our nose out, hopefully not gonna fight the SE but see how it goes. May be pushed off the “outside” in my boat but will be puttin some lines down if the seas allow it

Is there a Powell River Report? Just got to Beach Gardens for a couple days.

Today was an amazing day of Not catching anything.

After 45 minutes of getting to Upwood and an hour of trolling I hooked into a nice salmon. Likely 14 or 15 lbs. It was putting up quite a fight until the fight abruptly stopped. It was like the fish put the brakes on but there was still line peeling off the reel.

Then 50 m back the sea lion head popped up with my fish in it’s mouth. It took several more minutes to retrieve my gear …. Albeit without the salmon.

Damn sea lion followed the boat around for another 20 minutes.

Off to Anderson right up against the wall. Hooked a small kelp greenling and left it on the line. 5 minutes later I pull it and a 12 lb Ling up. Couldn’t get the net out as another lure was stuck in the netting. By the time I grabbed the gaff he shook and was gone.

Back to salmon on the east side of Texada. Reel starts singing and the rod is pinned to the holder. Finally free the rod and the fight is on. Now the boat is heading for the rocks so I have to back into the cabin while playing the fish. Turn the wheel and get back to the cockpit. More runs and now I’m tuckered out. I get the fish to the boat - it’s huge. Too big to keep - maybe 18-20 lbs but I don’t get a chance to lay a tape on it. I’m getting the net, keeping the tip up but he does a head shake and is gone. They probably heard me screaming in Nanaimo.

An exciting day but home fishless.

They’ll be sniffing around Black Point any time now. This rain might help.
Thanks. Going to try and get out for an evening fish if this wind knocks down. I'll let you know how it goes.

Back