2021 Port Hardy Reports

So 3 of us towed up to Hardy from Telegraph yesterday and fished Sutyl and above for the day. Had decent weather, bit of a swell and good fishing salmon, Ling and halibut all on the troll in basically the same place. Was very disappointed in one particular guide outfit that had 3 boats there that made it very obvious they thought they owned the whole place. Mostly wanting the inside tack going both directions past the rock
Working together to make sure they pushed the personal boats out of the way. It was my buddies boat and he didn't want to push the situation. I get trying to do your best to get clients fish because I ran the lodge in the Charlotte's for 10 years but hey, it's a big ocean.

I’m looking to come up from comox with my wife this weekend. How’s the fog this time of year? Thick in the mornings but burns off? Thanks in advance.
pretty much. watch nahwitti on the ebb. the feed is ridiculously small. they are stuffed with baitfish about inch and a half long. green hootchies were working well for us up there.

Chinooks opening up in QC Strait tomorrow. Not a lot of fish showing up around here yet, but hopefully the Johnstone Strait runs show up soon.

Any reports lately? Bait size etc… any halibut been trolled up?
Fished port Hardy this past weekend with my sons. Came home with 10 springs between 12 - 22 lbs and 4 halibut (2 around 30 and 2 around 22). All caught trolling white hoochies. Fished with Fish Harder Charters - Brendan - good guide.

Heading up to PH this weekend to fish with Serengeti for 3 days. How's the fishing been up there?

serengeti goes where the fish are im sure you will get full limits of everything. they even like to tac in very tight circles to keep you on the fish.

We talked to big Jim from Castle Point charters yesterday and he said it was slow for Chinooks lately. The creel census girl said the same thing.
Good numbers of Cohos though

We talked to big Jim from Castle Point charters yesterday and he said it was slow for Chinooks lately. The creel census girl said the same thing.
Good numbers of Cohos though
We fished up top Sutil and above for three days and caught nothing but small 10-12lbs, slow very slow action!
We pulled out and trailed to winter harbour and was on the fish right away, hammered 4 springs in 1.5hrs all in the 20’s. Bottom fishing was good as well.

We fished up top Sutil and above for three days and caught nothing but small 10-12lbs, slow very slow action!
We pulled out and trailed to winter harbour and was on the fish right away, hammered 4 springs in 1.5hrs all in the 20’s. Bottom fishing was good as well.
Sounds like you made the right move! :)

That’s the beauty about Hardy, there is all of the Queen Charlotte strait to fish and if that not working out then a 20 minute trailer ride to Coal Harbour and then off to Winter Harbour.

A lot of the times there are fish right in bay. Been like then August when I was there last few times. Not into the Sutil thing myself just a big meat run, and not into it. Daphne or Duvall both produce some good fish if stick and stay.

Last edited:
And there’s always the lowly Gordon Islands. I remember asking a guide once about the Gordons and he rolled his eyes as if to say...are you kidding? Why would you waste your time there?

Because I’m a contrarian by nature, after I heard the scoop on the Gordons I knew I’d have to go fish them. I went around the corner from God’s Pocket one night and hooked two 20’s in two drops... meanwhile, from the type of behavior I keep reading about that goes down at Sutil, I’d rather take my chances in quieter spots like Daphne and the Gordons

And there’s always the lowly Gordon Islands. I remember asking a guide once about the Gordons and he rolled his eyes as if to say...are you kidding? Why would you waste your time there?

Because I’m a contrarian by nature, after I heard the scoop on the Gordons I knew I’d have to go fish them. I went around the corner from God’s Pocket one night and hooked two 20’s in two drops... meanwhile, from the type of behavior I keep reading about that goes down at Sutil, I’d rather take my chances in quieter spots like Daphne and the Gordons
I love fishing those places as well, but with this stupid slot limit of 80cm we fished there the second morning and released 10 springs all way over 80cm. The action was awesome but I don’t like playing that game, if I get a bleeder I want to take it not throw it away!

wha
what day were you at winter harbour

Back