2021 Port Hardy Reports

interesting - what colours? The usual greens, blues, purples? Pics? Cheers :)
DJ used to work for NavCan. his lure making was a hobby. he showed me the color that works for springs; it’s a purple base with a pearly swirl to it. i’ll post when i find it

Anybody heard any news from the North Island (area 111) Fishermans Bay-Cape Sutil? Should be turning on soon for springs if it hasn't already.

Reports have been of a pretty slim pickings for June... hopefully the fish are just a little late this year. So far pretty slow though at all the usuals spots.
Was up there on Saturday. Was pretty slow when I was up there. Do not know what it was like earlier in the day . Didn’t head up until the afternoon because of the wind. Got one little 8 lbs chinook had 1 more fish on. Only saw one other net out when we were up there

Seems like a slower start this year? Was up third week of June last year and it was lights out. Heading up next Sunday-Thursday. Hopefully have some reports to post back.

Friend was guiding up there last week. Fairly slow and not much for size on chinooks. Decent bottom fishing though.

Seems like a slower start this year? Was up third week of June last year and it was lights out. Heading up next Sunday-Thursday. Hopefully have some reports to post back.
I recall last year that it turned on 3rd week of June. I was out July 10th as it was gale force S/E and a sheltered place to fish-had pretty decent fishing and managed to scrape up a couple halibut.

Just got back, spent friday to Monday there. Spent most of our time east of Hardy Bay and down south near airport and Taylor bank. Bottom fishing was good and got onto a couple decent halibut, 1 @ 123 and 1 at 85. Both same morning. Trolled a bit around Duval and got into a couple nice fish, all released in one piece. Access was a bit tough as she was pretty windy with exception to Sunday and Monday until about 230. Never made it up to Sutil but talking to some of the guides its been slow but turned on by Monday. Noticed alot more chinook at the docks and a few nice footballs. Hopefully winds calm down a bit going forward.

We fished last Friday, Saturday and Sunday for Hali and lingcod, didn’t even try for salmon this trip. For 3 boats we ended up with 7 Hali, 5 lings and numerous rock fish. Saturday was wet but Friday and Sunday were decent days.

Just finished day 4 of fishing. Certainly a little slow for this time of year, but there’s a couple fish slowly starting to show and we found everything we were looking for.

Any news from the top end of the island?( Cape Sutil to Cape Scott area). Was thinking about heading out that way in the morning.
Fished Nootka last weekend and was not impressed. My 7” plugs weren’t performing at all and the spoons were putting SFA in the boat as well. Didn’t go outside as one of my guests was prone to sea sickness. To break up the two days we were there we tried a little crabbin’ at Burdwood Bay. Got a few crab but have had larger ones on my nut sack. Thought about going deeper inside to set a couple prawn traps but by that time everyone was getting a little agitated. We went out to Wash Rock and tried some mooching with herring but no luck either. I tried a white hoochie rig as a buddy informed me to do and dragged it for a couple hours- SFA on that too. I’m going to try using a flasher in front of the hoochie next time as I see the odd person using them here.
Anyway, hoping to hear some favorable reports from the north island and possibly turn our luck around!

Any news from the top end of the island?( Cape Sutil to Cape Scott area). Was thinking about heading out that way in the morning.
Fished Nootka last weekend and was not impressed. My 7” plugs weren’t performing at all and the spoons were putting SFA in the boat as well. Didn’t go outside as one of my guests was prone to sea sickness. To break up the two days we were there we tried a little crabbin’ at Burdwood Bay. Got a few crab but have had larger ones on my nut sack. Thought about going deeper inside to set a couple prawn traps but by that time everyone was getting a little agitated. We went out to Wash Rock and tried some mooching with herring but no luck either. I tried a white hoochie rig as a buddy informed me to do and dragged it for a couple hours- SFA on that too. I’m going to try using a flasher in front of the hoochie next time as I see the odd person using them here.
Anyway, hoping to hear some favorable reports from the north island and possibly turn our luck around!
leave the plugs and the sick person at the dock. plugs work offshore and in deeper water. you’re not gonna catch much on a hootchie without a flasher either. :) the flasher imparts the action on the hootchie

drag small spoons at and around wash and you’ll get fish.

your avatar is amazing btw

Last edited:
Slow when I was up there. I’ve seen lots of good fishing up there, but nothing impressive so far this year. Heard Tofino is the place to be.

lol you ain’t gonna catch **** on a hoochie with no flasher , day 1 stuff. hoochie has 0 action , you need the rolling blade to snap it around

Thanks for the handy information- I have caught fish dragging my hoochies w/no flasher but will start dragging flashers as the norm now. I wonder if I put a flasher in front of my 7" plugs will improve my luck? Big bait equals big fish I was told so I think it should work.

Any fishing with plugs I have done is without a flasher as the plug creates it’s own action. Also I make sure it’s at least 15 pulls behind the downrigger clip.

Nephews just got back from Hardy. Spent 3 days I believe with Dave and his crew from Serengeti. No shortage of nice fish. Group of 6 came home with their limit of Chinook and nothing under 20#. Average weight of 25 with the biggest fish 28. Had to travel a ways to get into open fishing but the boys said it was worth it. Nephew has been at it for years and ran his own boat for quite a number of years but they have been doing the charter thing the last 8 or 9 years. He’s been all up and down the coast from Alaska to Victoria, they fished Winter Harbour a few times, guided and their own boat. Last year did the Rivers Inlet thing. He said this is one of the best trips in his life. For outfitter experience and quality and abundance of quality fish. Couldn’t say enough good things about Dave and his crew. Not scared to burn the gas to get the boys out there and into the fish, did what it took to make the trip successful for them.
Well done Dave, if you still peak in here now and again.

Nephews just got back from Hardy. Spent 3 days I believe with Dave and his crew from Serengeti. No shortage of nice fish. Group of 6 came home with their limit of Chinook and nothing under 20#. Average weight of 25 with the biggest fish 28. Had to travel a ways to get into open fishing but the boys said it was worth it. Nephew has been at it for years and ran his own boat for quite a number of years but they have been doing the charter thing the last 8 or 9 years. He’s been all up and down the coast from Alaska to Victoria, they fished Winter Harbour a few times, guided and their own boat. Last year did the Rivers Inlet thing. He said this is one of the best trips in his life. For outfitter experience and quality and abundance of quality fish. Couldn’t say enough good things about Dave and his crew. Not scared to burn the gas to get the boys out there and into the fish, did what it took to make the trip successful for them.
Well done Dave, if you still peak in here now and again.
Thanks for the report. I will be there 8-10 Aug. Should be really good by then.

Back