2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Just ended our trip & it was damn fine!! Small anchovie was the most consistant. 40 - 44 ft Really ya don't have to get too technical to land a batch of beasts. Just show up and put in your time, you'll be rewarded. This next week will be great!! Aguilar ' the wall , back side of Fleming, all the usual places are holding springs. Not alot of coho but they are being taken. Good luck & be mindful of the boat beside ya!!!

We went 1 for 5 this morning off the wall, not our best conversion rate, on one we had half netted and I managed to gaff it and still lose it, that one was a bit sad. Landed a nice 18. The best was the late afternoon bite off Fleming, my boy (9) reeled in a 29 lber,. We got it on video, was quite the assortment of emotions super stoke to deep depression after learning 1 pound short of tyee, we had told him years ago when he reeled in his own tyee he’d get 300 bucks. Big life lessons today, that’s fish extreme highs and lows lol. We ran 6 inch chovies.
congrats on the tryee :)

Fished Thursday afternoon and Friday. Lost as many as we caught. We came home with our 2 man limit of mid-high teens chinook, and some bonus coho, rockcod, and lings. 5inch herring and anchovies, small spoons, produced. Couldn't get them to hit the hoochies. Best production was evening bite at Sanford, but we caught fish everywhere. Lost alot due to old gear as we had to leave the boat in PA for 2 years due to Covid.

We hit Barkley Sound for the first time from Saturday to Saturday. The first three nights were at McKay Bay Lodge in Bamfield, followed by two nights at Barkley Sound Lodge, then finishing up with three nights at a VRBO in Ucluelet. Quite an adventure exploring the beauty of Barkley Sound and the swells venturing offshore.

Inside we mostly found Springs and Coho between 30-60’ using a variation of spoons and anchovies at Pill, Robber, Kirby, Newcombe and Effingham. It wasn’t always fast and furious fishing but we generally found fish.

Aprox 15 miles offshore fishing was lights out in the swells. Springs and Coho were hitting almost anything that we tied on. Bait was often smashed on the surface before we could drop the riggers. The top producer was a Glow NauticalDisaster spoon dragged along the bottom.

WYA also produced well for us on Friday morning with 7 springs to the boat in less than two hours fishing. Again a little lumpy out there but when the rods are going off you tend to not notice the rough seas.

While staying at Barkley Sound Lodge we met @Derby who helped to put us onto fish when we moved over to Ucluelet. Great guy with a thorough knowledge of the local fishery.

No halibut for us on this trip but we found some fantastic bottom fishing for rock cod and Lings.

A great time exploring new waters and meeting new people. We can’t wait to go back for another adventure.

We hit Barkley Sound for the first time from Saturday to Saturday. The first three nights were at McKay Bay Lodge in Bamfield, followed by two nights at Barkley Sound Lodge, then finishing up with three nights at a VRBO in Ucluelet. Quite an adventure exploring the beauty of Barkley Sound and the swells venturing offshore.

Inside we mostly found Springs and Coho between 30-60’ using a variation of spoons and anchovies at Pill, Robber, Kirby, Newcombe and Effingham. It wasn’t always fast and furious fishing but we generally found fish.

Aprox 15 miles offshore fishing was lights out in the swells. Springs and Coho were hitting almost anything that we tied on. Bait was often smashed on the surface before we could drop the riggers. The top producer was a Glow NauticalDisaster spoon dragged along the bottom.

WYA also produced well for us on Friday morning with 7 springs to the boat in less than two hours fishing. Again a little lumpy out there but when the rods are going off you tend to not notice the rough seas.

While staying at Barkley Sound Lodge we met @Derby who helped to put us onto fish when we moved over to Ucluelet. Great guy with a thorough knowledge of the local fishery.

No halibut for us on this trip but we found some fantastic bottom fishing for rock cod and Lings.

A great time exploring new waters and meeting new people. We can’t wait to go back for another adventure.
Sounds like a great trip. Was the nautical disaster one of your custom spoons?

Just got back from Bamfield. Best fishing I've had all year! We fished Sandford Saturday and Sunday in the early morning and it was on fire! Every boat had fish and we had multiple doubles! No big fish but perfect eaters at 16-19lbs. Hit pill today at around 11 am and landed/ released a couple more and missed a couple in a hour on the way home. Get out there while the gettings good. Anchovie at 45' in 50-65' of water was the ticket and a 3" spoon on the other side. Never changed gear once. Nice to spend the afternoons on the dock chilling. We even went for a walk and swim at Brady's which usually doest happen on guys trips.

Pretty good day after getting discarded net out of our prop, god what a mess, a nice 18 and a 12.

Attachments

• 95C46DE9-EFB2-40E5-B169-AB7E9DE9483C.jpeg
    95C46DE9-EFB2-40E5-B169-AB7E9DE9483C.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 123
  • 29475654-BB71-4ED7-A263-DFCAA7C791F8.jpeg
    29475654-BB71-4ED7-A263-DFCAA7C791F8.jpeg
    206.5 KB · Views: 120
Just got back from Bamfield. Best fishing I've had all year! We fished Sandford Saturday and Sunday in the early morning and it was on fire! Every boat had fish and we had multiple doubles! No big fish but perfect eaters at 16-19lbs. Hit pill today at around 11 am and landed/ released a couple more and missed a couple in a hour on the way home. Get out there while the gettings good. Anchovie at 45' in 50-65' of water was the ticket and a 3" spoon on the other side. Never changed gear once. Nice to spend the afternoons on the dock chilling. We even went for a walk and swim at Brady's which usually doest happen on guys trips.

Agreed....definitely some of the best fishing right now. I fished Cree, Assits, Danvers, Sanford over the last week and did well everywhere. Largest was a 22 lb at Cree.

Hey folks, I’m heading out with my dad to China creek and then Poett’s nook for the weekend. We are long time fisherman but have never got the opportunity to fish for halibut. This year more than anything we would love to catch one. The only thing is we just got our boat up and running so we are a little tentative about going offshore. I’m not super familiar with the bamfield area but I’m just wondering if it’s possible to get halibut amongst the broken group. Any suggestions would help us out a lot, thanks!

Couple shots of the boys biggie and pretty priceless video
Hey folks, I’m heading out with my dad to China creek and then Poett’s nook for the weekend. We are long time fisherman but have never got the opportunity to fish for halibut. This year more than anything we would love to catch one. The only thing is we just got our boat up and running so we are a little tentative about going offshore. I’m not super familiar with the bamfield area but I’m just wondering if it’s possible to get halibut amongst the broken group. Any suggestions would help us out a lot, thanks!
I’m no halibut expert but I know they can be caught just out from bamfield trolling bottom along Brady beach out towards Beal. I think this would be best chance if not going out off shore

Just as Chillispoons posted, I'm just back from Ukee, Barkley, Bamtown, it's on fire. (Can we say that in BC) All the spots produced steady action, most fun was my old go-to Wya. Once you have your chosen fish keep a spot open and try the stuff you would not normally run good time to test gear. I got schooled by buddies on lighthouse swimbaits for ling, I would never have fished something that looked like it was for catching fishermen BUT I had to stop in AB on the way home to purchase some. Even had a ling take one at the side of the boat!

Attachments

• IMG_0509.JPG
    IMG_0509.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 252
  • IMG_0547.JPG
    IMG_0547.JPG
    313.9 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    447.1 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_0533.JPG
    IMG_0533.JPG
    466.3 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_0480.JPG
    IMG_0480.JPG
    314 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_0492.JPG
    IMG_0492.JPG
    204.7 KB · Views: 266
Recently returned from a trip to Bamfield. My group limited on both Springs and Coho. The Springs were 12 to 26 pounds. Most of the Coho were 5 to 7 pounds. I was shocked when I landed a 20 pound 12 ounce Coho. I’d personally never seen on that large. We caught most of our fish on Glow White Hootchies and Irish cream skinny G’s. 40 to 50 feet seemed to be the most successful depth.
Good luck to all and tight lines!

Attachments

• 09FD5970-2C52-4778-AA73-12A7392F0C81.jpeg
    09FD5970-2C52-4778-AA73-12A7392F0C81.jpeg
    635.6 KB · Views: 254
  • DA1CE7ED-ACD6-4B38-B37A-FE42C64758F8.jpeg
    DA1CE7ED-ACD6-4B38-B37A-FE42C64758F8.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 253
  • FCF9F3AA-2937-4A04-A1DA-8E4F951DA3E1.jpeg
    FCF9F3AA-2937-4A04-A1DA-8E4F951DA3E1.jpeg
    632.4 KB · Views: 256
Just as Chillispoons posted, I'm just back from Ukee, Barkley, Bamtown, it's on fire. (Can we say that in BC) All the spots produced steady action, most fun was my old go-to Wya. Once you have your chosen fish keep a spot open and try the stuff you would not normally run good time to test gear. I got schooled by buddies on lighthouse swimbaits for ling, I would never have fished something that looked like it was for catching fishermen BUT I had to stop in AB on the way home to purchase some. Even had a ling take one at the side of the boat!
White Russian swimbait destroys.

Just back from a week at Bamfield. Fishing got better through the week. Released many fish each day and still got many nice fish. Got twin sister 28’s one morning. Everyone limited out but you had to put in your time till it turned on. Mainly white hootchies and anchovy’s. Anchoveys are sold out everywhere so hope you bought ahead. Fished Fleming, Harbour, Swale and Wall. Went to 5 mile no Hali’s but limited out very quickly at 10 Mile.

Fished Tuesday-Thursday got our 8 chinook between the 2 of us and 3 coho. Spent a lot of time on the water as we found the bite would come on quick and not last long so kept working the usual spots. Poured rain on Thursday. Just a heads up if you are travelling out separately. I ran the boat back to port and partner drove out with the cooler and camping gear. DFO were at the ramp and I was given a stern talking to from the officer. You must transport your own fish with your licence. I thought we could sign a paper with my licence number and drivers licence but that reg changed. We had a good talk and was reminded again about the consequences and I went on my way. Ramp was a complete gong show

Went off shore Saturday to rats nose. We had our limit on coho in about a hour, we caught our limit on sable fish out there to. Between the coho and sable fish we couldn't get the lines down to the bottom for springs or Hali. So we picked up and moved. We caught 3 Hali's 77-79 and a 90 cm but no springs outside. It's seems a little slow inside , there is quite a few fish coming in to the cleaning table at the nook.

Last edited:
Out to the sound on saturday, started at Pill point and right away after dropping the gear got 3 springs. Lost one to a sea lion and landed the other 2, both around 10 pounds. The bite died off so we headed up towards diplock and didn't find much except some juveniles and a lot of weeds. So we picked up and ran to fleming, started getting action and headed towards Sanford island and satellite passage. Got into a huge bite on coho and springs fishing a reef. Ended up landing 10 springs, kept 4 and 2 nice coho. No bananas skinny g, anchovies, and AO12 (or OA12 can't remember) glow hootchie did the damage. 70 feet at the deepest.

Recently returned from a trip to Bamfield. My group limited on both Springs and Coho. The Springs were 12 to 26 pounds. Most of the Coho were 5 to 7 pounds. I was shocked when I landed a 20 pound 12 ounce Coho. I’d personally never seen on that large. We caught most of our fish on Glow White Hootchies and Irish cream skinny G’s. 40 to 50 feet seemed to be the most successful depth.
Good luck to all and tight lines!
That's a monster of a coho! What was the fight like? Jump much? I remember catching a 10lb coho that ran like a rocket on top of the water. So much different than the springs. What a great trip! Congratulations.

Back