2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Man that sucks. Feel bad for all involved. Amazing how many people cruise around on the water without a life jacket. You barely know the horse collar ones are there.

Man that sucks. Feel bad for all involved. Amazing how many people cruise around on the water without a life jacket. You barely know the horse collar ones are there.
Without knowing any details, I find it hard to believe that in an area like pill pt in August on a Sunday that this happened. This goes to show how quickly it goes all bad even in an area that I would assume had lots of boats in close quarters. Makes one think

Without knowing any details, I find it hard to believe that in an area like pill pt in August on a Sunday that this happened. This goes to show how quickly it goes all bad even in an area that I would assume had lots of boats in close quarters. Makes one think
Seem to be this macho thing about not wearing a PFD, with the new inflatable ones , they are light and not that bad to wear. I wear mine all the time, I know for fact probably 75% of people don’t, that water is cold even in the summer months, I am a good swimmer and know for a fact that even 500ft to shore with tides and current swells and all that involve if I hit the water that PFD is going to help a lot

It was Monday. A buddy was fishing there at the time and there were only a few boats. I found that hard to believe for August. It definitely makes a case for fishing around a lot of other boats though.

It was Monday. A buddy was fishing there at the time and there were only a few boats. I found that hard to believe for August. It definitely makes a case for fishing around a lot of other boats though.
In the fog boat around or not you are **** out of luck, rely on yourself not other to get out, believe me lots won’t pull gear to help others, how do I know don’t ask

In the fog boat around or not you are **** out of luck, rely on yourself not other to get out, believe me lots won’t pull gear to help others, how do I know don’t ask
I'm going to guess that in an overboard situation in bamfield or in any dangerous area most the guys on this forum would pull there gear and help. I often solo fish and I rarely wear the jacket. I think if I fell well trolling at 5 km/h I'd never catch the boat. There should be a kill switch that shuts the boat off when you fall in. It could work the same and an inflatable life jacket.

I'm going to guess that in an overboard situation in bamfield or in any dangerous area most the guys on this forum would pull there gear and help. I often solo fish and I rarely wear the jacket. I think if I fell well trolling at 5 km/h I'd never catch the boat. There should be a kill switch that shuts the boat off when you fall in. It could work the same and an inflatable life jacket.
Lol there is a kill switch,just too awkward to have tied up to you, both my main and kicker have kill switch but never tie the lanyard to myself, I do fish solo 80% of the time, life jacket will buy me a bit of time, not 100% but better then not having one.

Mt buddy and I thought the same thing a couple of years ago and wanted to start manufacturing them, but then we found a company that already makes a remote kill switch. https://buy.fellmarine.com/ and https://www.1stmate.net/content/firstMate/us/en/home.html They were really expensive at the time, but now they are quite affordable.

Last edited:
We were fishing Swale when the mayday relay came in from the Coastguard. Weather was pretty lumpy and we were hiding from the wind, but ran down to Pill to help out with the search. Good number of boat turned up pretty quick. We were only able to help for a couple of hours and it was a rough run, but the right thing to do.

Saturday was slow for us, but heated up on Sunday and Monday and we got our 12 springs between 10 and 23 lbs, most were 14–16; one 7 lb coho and a nice ling. Coho killer got a few, most on anchovies; 30-55 ft on the riggers.

Back out Fri-Mon with the kids (6,8,11) and a very reluctant wife… Hoping for calm seas and to get the kids into some fish!

Last edited:
Mt buddy and I thought the same thing a couple of years ago and wanted to start manufacturing them, but then we found a company that already makes a remote kill switch. https://buy.fellmarine.com/ and https://www.1stmate.net/content/firstMate/us/en/home.html They were really expensive at the time, but now they are quite affordable.
I use one, wireless kill switch, when fishing solo. . .good piece of mind. I'll catch that damn boat when I fall out when trolling!
fb

Did not know they made wireless ones, will have to check those out
Mine is an Autotether kill switch. I hard wired the dash unit so don't have to rely on batteries. The bluetooth wireless lanyard is small and fits in a pocket, I use a lithium battery and it lasts long time. Occasionally when I'm in it, bending over the rail or stooping to deal with a fish, I inadvertently push the lanyard button in my pocket and the motors shut down, which is inconvenient and alarming, but doesn't happen often enough to outweigh the safety upside for me.

Sorry for the thread drift. I'm not even sure if this would have helped this poor guy or his family. Sad situation regardless, hate to hear this,
fb

Mine is an Autotether kill switch. I hard wired the dash unit so don't have to rely on batteries. The bluetooth wireless lanyard is small and fits in a pocket, I use a lithium battery and it lasts long time. Occasionally when I'm in it, bending over the rail or stooping to deal with a fish, I inadvertently push the lanyard button in my pocket and the motors shut down, which is inconvenient and alarming, but doesn't happen often enough to outweigh the safety upside for me.

Sorry for the thread drift. I'm not even sure if this would have helped this poor guy or his family. Sad situation regardless, hate to hear this,
fb

Looking to possibly get out tomorrow any reports on what areas are productive last couple days. What are people using to predict wind in the sound? Looks real windy off shore wondering how the sound will be affected

Looking to possibly get out tomorrow any reports on what areas are productive last couple days. What are people using to predict wind in the sound? Looks real windy off shore wondering how the sound will be affected
see a couple guide reports on facebook, fishing has been really good close to Bamfield and down around Assiits island.

I just came back from Bamfield. We had our best luck at Tzartus Island in Holford Bay, I believe the locals call it the Meat Hole, 6" 602 plug was the best producer, followed by another white one, (I forget the number, it has a pink stripe) after we lost the 602 on an unexpected pinical. White hoochie and green flasher and Anchovies all produced. Morning bite at 45 feet. We also had success at Pill pt at 65 feet using the same gear. The biggest fish was 23 lbs, the smallest, which we didn't weigh had to be at least 12. Full limits of springs for three guys and some nice Coho boost the poundage.

We went 1 for 5 this morning off the wall, not our best conversion rate, on one we had half netted and I managed to gaff it and still lose it, that one was a bit sad. Landed a nice 18. The best was the late afternoon bite off Fleming, my boy (9) reeled in a 29 lber,. We got it on video, was quite the assortment of emotions super stoke to deep depression after learning 1 pound short of tyee, we had told him years ago when he reeled in his own tyee he’d get 300 bucks. Big life lessons today, that’s fish extreme highs and lows lol. We ran 6 inch chovies.

Back