2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Not much but there's reception on the rez but I don't think there is any at the campground
From what I heard. TELUS put in a tower near bamfield . There’s better service in bamfield now. My TELUS phone works at the nook now. Where it never did before unless you were on the water

From what I heard. TELUS put in a tower near bamfield . There’s better service in bamfield now. My TELUS phone works at the nook now. Where it never did before unless you were on the water
Was there a few weeks ago and Rogers has much better reception than Telus or Bell. I had good reception in most locations including 12 miles off shore.
Like Fishing? Says kind of disappointing as work was able to get a hold of me.

My buddy and I was there last week. Monday to Thursday. Very slow on big springs inside thanks to the red tide. Lots of shakers tho. We only landed one spring at just under 20#. Snapped another big one off and lost a 10ish at the side of the boat. Offshore guys were doing well but water too rough for us.

A word of caution for the inlet users that may have already been mentioned here. We were in a group of 4 boats that all pulled out one after the other so we were all parked close securing the boats and hitting the can. There was this skittish looking guy checking in all the boats. He looked to be wanting to grab and run rather than look and admire. So be sure to secure your gear or keep a body at the boat until ready to leave.

cheers

Last edited:
Pretty slow on the inside around the nook. Went out this am for a couple of hours, one fish on , bit my leader above the anchovy and it was gone. Had 1 other hit.

Was recently fishing at Bamfield
near Kirby point:
1) first day mostly good size hatchery Cohos,
2) secord day only Chinooks, mostly undersizes, but lost one huge Chinook near the boat after fighting with it 10 mins
3) third day only Chinooks but bigger than the prev. day, retainable size. Also tried some rubber bait jigging 5 km east, got few good Rockfishes, and few undersized Lingcods.

Lot's of fish seen on the Fishfinder from the early morning till about 9am. Got most of the action at this time as well.

All limits were respected, undersized fish was safely released.

All Cohos and Chinooks got hooked on the anchovies. Cohos: 30-35 feet deep, Chinooks 80-100 feet.

Was wondering why there are soooo many small Chinooks, aren't they supposed to go young and feed somewhere far in the open/deep ocean, grow big there and come back to in-shore most for spawning? Or those Chinooks are kinda local, don't go offshore and always stay in the Banfield area all its life feeding and growing there?

When Chinook will be coming to ChinaCreek - is mostly big Chinooks come to that area or it is same as at Bamfield all small ones will head up to ChinaCreek too?

Last edited:
I believe many on both sides of the island are experiencing higher than normal volume for shakers and small chinooks in area's they are not normally this time of year however to my understanding this is not a bad thing and actually a good sign, however in our area such as bamfield they would be following food and foraging in these areas, closer to the peak of the RCH run it will only be mature down the inlet and so on the closer you get to Port Alberni and the Somass river.

Forecast is showing 133,000 expected to be returning, depending on rain and weather will dictate how good of a year fishing will be, last year we had a huge return (just shy of 100k) but it wasn't lights out for the rec fleet.

Also hoping the roundtable agree's on a better timing for large commercial openings around the labor day long weekend this year, really awful the last couple of years allowing gill netters to setup shop the same week the derby is or days prior.

Was out there Sunday. All regular spots around Bamfield produced for us equally well, but a little slow. We were jumping around a lot. Running Anchovies at 50’. Was seeing a lot of fish following the lines on the sonar and not committing so wondering if it was the roll or speed or maybe should have had something different down there with the chovies. We ended the day with some mid teeners and one 20ish. was a great day. Some nice coho around this year as well!

I was wondering if there is a huge algae bloom again in Barkley Sound. Last year is was horrible and I feel it definitely affected the fishing. The water was brown colour. Any feedback appreciated.

got offshore yesterday and managed one small hali, we were anchored but didnt fish to long as some of the crew members were feeling a bit green lol, switched to lingcod and managed 4 nice ones 9-12lbs and a few under. finished the day trolling bamfield wall and got into a 14lbs and a few shakers. didnt see any coho for our boat.

Just got back from a few days in the sound. Sunday afternoon we fished swale for a couple hours. Lost one low teen near the boat and sent a 60ish cm spring back to swim another day. Lots of shakers there as well.

Monday we went up to ukee and got out to the red can before we turned around as it was a little lumpy for my two little guys. Came back in and fished Beg island for a couple hours and got 3 low teen Chinook and a few shakers. Hit swale again in the afternoon but nothing again.

Tuesday we went to great bear and things looked promising as we found a school of good sized coho feeding on the surface at the kelp bed. Did one pass and landed one and lost one at the boat and then the killer whales showed up... packed up and headed out to south bank. Started setting gear and my oldest boy turned green(9 years old on his birthday) and was ready to blow chunks so we turned around and headed back in. Spent the afternoon on a reef catching a pile of different fish and releasing most of them exept a few black bass. We even hooked a salmon that we lost at the side of the boat. My little guy hooked it on his little Spiderman rod! What a blast. I think Its awsome watching them catch all the fish on light gear in nice calm water.

All fish were caught on anchovies and hoochies.

2 more sleeps then it’s off to Barkley Sound. Three nights at McKay Bay, then two at Barkley Sound Lodge, then finishing up with three nights at a VRBO rental house in Ucluelet.
We can’t wait to try Barkley Sound for the first time.
Besta luck bro, first for me this year and I know this is where my ashes will be scattered

Well I finally got my butt out of bed early and went out fishing . first fish was a 18 lb off Danvers. Second fish , a nice wild coho. And the third. Fish was a 19 lb spring. A good morning. Our son and two granddaughters got to the nook in the afternoon in time for the afternoon fish. One small spring and that was it. It was friging hot out so we shut the boat off and we all jumped out of the boat and went for a swim.

Besta luck bro, first for me this year and I know this is where my ashes will be scattered
We're back again this weekend. i put my dad's ashes in the sound earlier this year. He was only 59 and had never been but I felt like it was the right place for him. I hope my kids will put me there with him. Just remember how short this life can be and take advantage of all you can while you can.

We're back again this weekend. i put my dad's ashes in the sound earlier this year. He was only 59 and had never been but I felt like it was the right place for him. I hope my kids will put me there with him. Just remember how short this life can be and take advantage of all you can while you can.
We lost my brother in Nahmint bay 43 years ago. The family will all rest there.

Back