2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

Hi All
Moved the Grady up to Bamfield for the season this past weekend. Spent most of the weekend helping get the lodge all sorted out but did get a chance to get out on the water to drag a line and make sure the boat was fishing up to snuff.
Started out on Sunday doing a long tack from Kirby past Ohiat and then on to Sandford on the incoming tide. Had the gear at 45' and at 60'. Towed a glow white hootchie at 60' and an Irish Cream skinny g at 45' . Didn't see a bait ball or an arc until we reaches Sandford. We fished the south east corner of Sandford in a semi circle tack around an exposed reef. The bait was thick and we began to see arches. We had two hits very quickly on the skinny g and released a couple of 4 pounders. We switched the glow white hootch to a Bon Chovy skinny g . We ran our gear at 51' and 45'. Both sets of gear began to produce. Within 3 hours we limited out on springs for four of us. We kept 4 springs in the 6 - 8 lb range and 4 in the 13 - 15 pound range. It was pretty non stop action as long as you were overtop of the bait. Tangled with a couple of bigger fish that spit the hook and were likely to continue on their journey to the Columbia as all of our fish save one were hatchery clipped.
That was all of my boat time on the weekend save for the trip up from Port. I'm up again on the 25th for the weekend and then up for the season till Labour Day starting June 29.
Until then, Charleygirl is out...

Hi All
Moved the Grady up to Bamfield for the season this past weekend. Spent most of the weekend helping get the lodge all sorted out but did get a chance to get out on the water to drag a line and make sure the boat was fishing up to snuff.
Started out on Sunday doing a long tack from Kirby past Ohiat and then on to Sandford on the incoming tide. Had the gear at 45' and at 60'. Towed a glow white hootchie at 60' and an Irish Cream skinny g at 45' . Didn't see a bait ball or an arc until we reaches Sandford. We fished the south east corner of Sandford in a semi circle tack around an exposed reef. The bait was thick and we began to see arches. We had two hits very quickly on the skinny g and released a couple of 4 pounders. We switched the glow white hootch to a Bon Chovy skinny g . We ran our gear at 51' and 45'. Both sets of gear began to produce. Within 3 hours we limited out on springs for four of us. We kept 4 springs in the 6 - 8 lb range and 4 in the 13 - 15 pound range. It was pretty non stop action as long as you were overtop of the bait. Tangled with a couple of bigger fish that spit the hook and were likely to continue on their journey to the Columbia as all of our fish save one were hatchery clipped.
That was all of my boat time on the weekend save for the trip up from Port. I'm up again on the 25th for the weekend and then up for the season till Labour Day starting June 29.
Until then, Charleygirl is out...
nice report , enjoyed the read , i will not be to Bamtown till mid August , please continue the reports .

Waiting on my buddies kicker install, 3 days late so hope to do the run to Bamfield tomorrow, might be late tomorrow evening according to the service manager. Would be great to have some radio or cell buddies to hone in on the fish. Will be fishing out of “Party Time” a Whaler. Send me a pm. Tight lines
Any reports on fishing in Bamfield ?
Heading that way tomorrow for 4 days.

Amateur hour was in full effect Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Goal was China Creek to Moore the boat for my buddies family fishing trip later in the month but fit in fishing along the way. Friday New kicker motor, braket, rear station and radio all installed for 14k in Sidney, but no sea trial demo done since they were two days past the promised delivery date, more on that later. Buddy Pushed off the dock about 7pm, thanks to them staying late to “finish”, and the Wind prediction was accurate, snotty till oak bay then it dropped of so buddy decides to pin it to peder bay, only to experience a low engine oil light half way and still getting it after topping up, so running on 250hp. At Pedder we geared up in the dark with my fishing, safety and wet weather gear and began to do more maintenance and learning on the boat. My makita drill and 6 years of Lowrance knowledge got the Garmin dual screen dash apart and the depth sounder reconnect properly much better better than the “install” by a “mobile electrician” My 20 year previous 2 stroke memory was no match for the dealer who installed the 4 stroke kicker and was generous to FaceTime with us, hope we don’t get a $100 bill for 15 minutes as it took a YouTube confirmation at midnight to learn you need patience for the under cowling tank to bleed out air. Unfortunate the the dealer installed icom radio with AIS couldn’t seem to bipass the mmsi number screen that takes a couple days for government to give you so one necessary piece of off shore equipment down, two backup handhelds, with thanks to an awesome forum member on my belt as backup.

Did a bunch more maintenance that night and then as we were leaving and running and even out at Swiftsure in some of the snottiest weather ever and I’ve commercial fished. Lesson learned the hard way do maintenance before hand! Not with a grinder at 30mph and 2 stroke oil top ups on the swim grid in seas big enough to keep the guides away.

Did 7-10 passes with one other boat at Swiftsure with 1 Ling cod to show for it. It wasn’t worth the painful experience so we kept heading for Bamfield stopping on a couple pinnacles with no luck. Since I love fishing Keeha we stopped but it was thick either kelp and seaweed so barely got the balls wet.

Did a wide pass around cape beal and headed in for fuel. Had a hot report of Vernon Bay, so I went for a cat nap and we had lines down for the night bite. No other boats and not knowing the depth or tack, we saw boats at Pill and got one small guy in the boat.

That night it must have kicked up hard as all the commercial guys joined us at the dock while we slept. Decided not to follow the guides due to the weather, headed back to Vernon and then Pill. Lost a good one at the boat as the line hit the the kicker. Got one bigger one, and one small one for the bbq. Had to put it together, and got a nice hand burn jumping for a rod but nothing better than fresh spring salmon off the bbq.

Got the salmon on bait 65-85. Trailer hook was key.

My deck hand rate is going up! That was a rough one but one for the adventure books.

Amateur hour was in full effect Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Goal was China Creek to Moore the boat for my buddies family fishing trip later in the month but fit in fishing along the way. Friday New kicker motor, braket, rear station and radio all installed for 14k in Sidney, but no sea trial demo done since they were two days past the promised delivery date, more on that later. Buddy Pushed off the dock about 7pm, thanks to them staying late to “finish”, and the Wind prediction was accurate, snotty till oak bay then it dropped of so buddy decides to pin it to peder bay, only to experience a low engine oil light half way and still getting it after topping up, so running on 250hp. At Pedder we geared up in the dark with my fishing, safety and wet weather gear and began to do more maintenance and learning on the boat. My makita drill and 6 years of Lowrance knowledge got the Garmin dual screen dash apart and the depth sounder reconnect properly much better better than the “install” by a “mobile electrician” My 20 year previous 2 stroke memory was no match for the dealer who installed the 4 stroke kicker and was generous to FaceTime with us, hope we don’t get a $100 bill for 15 minutes as it took a YouTube confirmation at midnight to learn you need patience for the under cowling tank to bleed out air. Unfortunate the the dealer installed icom radio with AIS couldn’t seem to bipass the mmsi number screen that takes a couple days for government to give you so one necessary piece of off shore equipment down, two backup handhelds, with thanks to an awesome forum member on my belt as backup.

Did a bunch more maintenance that night and then as we were leaving and running and even out at Swiftsure in some of the snottiest weather ever and I’ve commercial fished. Lesson learned the hard way do maintenance before hand! Not with a grinder at 30mph and 2 stroke oil top ups on the swim grid in seas big enough to keep the guides away.

Did 7-10 passes with one other boat at Swiftsure with 1 Ling cod to show for it. It wasn’t worth the painful experience so we kept heading for Bamfield stopping on a couple pinnacles with no luck. Since I love fishing Keeha we stopped but it was thick either kelp and seaweed so barely got the balls wet.

Did a wide pass around cape beal and headed in for fuel. Had a hot report of Vernon Bay, so I went for a cat nap and we had lines down for the night bite. No other boats and not knowing the depth or tack, we saw boats at Pill and got one small guy in the boat.

That night it must have kicked up hard as all the commercial guys joined us at the dock while we slept. Decided not to follow the guides due to the weather, headed back to Vernon and then Pill. Lost a good one at the boat as the line hit the the kicker. Got one bigger one, and one small one for the bbq. Had to put it together, and got a nice hand burn jumping for a rod but nothing better than fresh spring salmon off the bbq.

My deck hand rate is going up! That was a rough one but one for the adventure books.
That’s an adventure! Wow…

Wow! :eek:

You may have exceeded me in the fishing passion department with that odyssey!
Although I do have some offshore adventures in mind, my recently retired status will have me choosing my days. I don’t plan to repeat my guided adventures of the last twenty years that required going offshore on the days we were there, not the days that we should have gone.
As a great guide said to me and my 16 year old son at the time, those are ‘don’t tell mom’ stories.

Headed out from Nanaimo this am for Ukee. Stopped at pill around 11 and hit a bunch small fish. My little guy reeled in a 55 cm spring that I could not convince him to let go so into the cooler it went. After that we headed to harbour entrance and picked up a decent one right on the bottom at 111' on a white hoochie. Couple more small ones and we headed to Ukee to chill on the deck. Had to get my father's day gift a little early!

Attachments

• IMG_4590.jpg
    IMG_4590.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_4602.jpg
    IMG_4602.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 277
  • 20210618_160226.jpg
    20210618_160226.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 286
Just got home from a couple nice days in Bamfield. Showed up at Pill just before lunch and picked up 3 springs right away and then It died off. Tried offshore for hali last night but had no luck. This am fished Kirby from 9-11:30 and boated 4 or so, kept 2 of the nicer ones. I was running a white glow hootchie on one side and a 4 inch spoon on the other.

Just back from 4 days in Barkley Sound, limited out on Springs biggest was a Hatch 27# , couple of of 20’s and couple of mid teens.From Austin to Pill and many points in between , covered a lot of water but it paid off .Didn’t get out for Hali but the groups that did were doing well.Back again next week so I’m hoping for another great few days.

Got back late last night from our fathers day weekend. Fishing was alright for us. We caught fish at all the locations we stopped at. Pill, harbour entrance, Austin and red can. We deffintly didn't fish hard as we were leaving the dock around 8am and spending time hanging out. That said we brought home more then enough to share with the neighborhood. Ended up getting my anchor stuck after spending the afternoon at the beach... All fish seemed to be deep like 110-160 feet on the riggers right on the bottom. Maybe it was just the times of day we were fishing. An assortment of spoons and hoochies were working. Here's a couple shots from father's day. Back at it in the sound for 4 nights over Canada day for a guys trip, Can't wait

Attachments

• IMG_4693.jpg
    IMG_4693.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 323
  • IMG_4690.jpg
    IMG_4690.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 317
  • IMG_4709.jpg
    IMG_4709.jpg
    110.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 20210620_205040.jpg
    20210620_205040.jpg
    208.4 KB · Views: 320
Got back late last night from our fathers day weekend. Fishing was alright for us. We caught fish at all the locations we stopped at. Pill, harbour entrance, Austin and red can. We deffintly didn't fish hard as we were leaving the dock around 8am and spending time hanging out. That said we brought home more then enough to share with the neighborhood. Ended up getting my anchor stuck after spending the afternoon at the beach... All fish seemed to be deep like 110-160 feet on the riggers right on the bottom. Maybe it was just the times of day we were fishing. An assortment of spoons and hoochies were working. Here's a couple shots from father's day. Back at it in the sound for 4 nights over Canada day for a guys trip, Can't wait
Those Hourston's are fishy!

Those Hourston's are fishy!

And they can take a beating as I had the unfortunate pleasure of experiencing last weekend. We had to come home 20+ nautical miles directly into a Head wind that was blowing 25-30 knots and gusting up to 38knots according to a app i use, add on to that the flood was heading in the opposite direction... It was deffintly sporty and she only came away with a few minor issues like a missing horn that got ripped off by a greeny over the bow and a crack on the dash. Not sure what happened there but the door into the cuddy had the hardware ripped right out of the door. I think it was my death grip on the steering wheel combined with the pressure from my feet on the foot rest. Also there was a bag of gear under the bed and another guy holding on to the dash as well. I think all these things and launching off a wave that sent everything flying all contributed! The funny thing is that about 30 seconds before that my buddy said I cant believe all the stuff hasn't moved off the counter!

I'll probably be suffering from PTSD from that trip for years to come.

Went out for the fathers day weekend, fished a total of approx 4 hrs, mixed in with work on a new dock and fun with the grandson and daughter. Fishing was steady, lots of shakers around a lb and several 2-3 lbers. Kept some nice fish. Great weather!!

Attachments

• 20210619_084210.jpg
    20210619_084210.jpg
    333 KB · Views: 212
  • 20210619_200955.jpg
    20210619_200955.jpg
    351 KB · Views: 196
Back