2021 Bamfield and Barkley Sound Reports

My life goal is to be able to own a boat that can take me to Bamfield from Vancouver. I think 30 feet is minimum. Right now Nanaimo is aggressive some days in 20 feet.
I've done the trip in a 22 ft Grady and now in a 23.5 ft Grady. Pick your weather days for sure, but typically in the summer it's a safe and gorgeous ride. 8-9 hours from Vancouver, 5 - 6 hrs from Victoria. I have a friend who routinely goes up in his 23.5 ft Grady from Sooke usually averaging about 4 hours.

I've done the trip in a 22 ft Grady and now in a 23.5 ft Grady. Pick your weather days for sure, but typically in the summer it's a safe and gorgeous ride. 8-9 hours from Vancouver, 5 - 6 hrs from Victoria. I have a friend who routinely goes up in his 23.5 ft Grady from Sooke usually averaging about 4 hours.
If they lock down next year, with my new 200hp, on my 21ft Striper you can bet I'm gonna look at hooking up with someone to run from Richmond to Bamf and maybe stay and fish at a few places along the way , no race just enjoying, really don't think it would be that tough if ya planned on 10 days or so lol (just need to plan the fuel ups and carry some extra, just in case !)

We are trying again for the 11th, Oak Bay to Bamfield with a stop at swiftsure. Our stop last time at race rocks for fog, limited us out for Hali so we headed back into the sun, jigged for ling cod and were home for lunch.

Last edited:
We are trying again for the 11th, Oak Bay to Bamfield with a stop at swiftsure. Our stop last time at race rocks for fog, limited us out for Hali so we headed back into the sun, jigged for ling cod and were home for lunch.
11th of June?

Ran out the canal on Tuesday. Got out a bit late and arrived at Pill around 9 am. Might have been 4 boats there. Smoking hot temperature and flat calm water. Caught one and lost one. After about an hour we decided to head to Swale. Instant reward with a whale surfacing beside our boat as we set the gear. Two minutes later a nice Spring about 15 lbs. Largest of the day. Liimited out with our 6 fish.

Checked by CG. They checked another boat first but we knew we were going to get the same treatment as there were only 3 boats there.

As they approached I pulled the downrigger up letting the rod continue fishing so they could come alongside. First statement was you've been to this rodeo before haven't your? Yup. Checked licenses and hook on one side. Looked at our fish. We had a nice BBQ sized fish that he measured. 51 cm, no issue.

Skinny G and anchovy for the most part. Deepest was 99, shallowest was 55.

Awesome day trip.

Here's a little quick recap of week there are weekend in battlefield. Took my H vac buddy up who I've known since elementary school. He last fished of a puker boat 15 years ago. Had Never trolled before. Started Friday at ohuat and had a fish on pretty quick but lost it as buddy gave it some slack and hook was spit. Not a lot of bait so trolled to Sanford and immediately found bait and fish. Managed to get 3 cookie cutter hatchery springs in the 8-10lb range. Missed a few and lost a couple. Saturday had to fix water heater and repair pull cord in skiff so headed out at 11 to ohuat. It was blowing 30 so uncomfortable fishing. My cabin partner came out with us and we managed 1 but only stayed an hour as he started turning green. Sunday we were out early and headed to whittlestone. Nothing they're but a jack that a deal tried to steal 5ft behind boat. Picked up headed to back side of Kirby. Lots of weeds so trolled down to Sanford and hit another fish. Monday had a few hours before packing up and heading home so headed straight to Sanford where I realized I'd ducked up a downrigger repair so just fished 1 rod at 70ft with my goto setup and a bite came on. Hooked 7 springs and 2 undersized lines before 9 which was pick up and go time. Just as i was about to call it rod goes off again and rods bent over but no line peeling. I kill the kicker and its just buddy and the fish. Then I look over the side and it's the elusive Hali on the troll. After a bit of panic grabbed the gas and hurled him into boat. After a lot of high fiving and cheering we headed on with our 90 cm 20lb hali. Needless to say I think my buddy is hooked. Was talking about buying a boat until I told him about covid tax. Every single fish i hooked this weekend was at 70 ft with my white hootchy. Hali was stuffed with octopus. Springs had 4 inch bait in stomachs. Capt20210604_095428.jpg. Mo

IMG_1731.jpg

Last edited:
Back