2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to catch a couple halibut per year just salmon fishing but it’s been years and years since I’ve had a halibut hit the salmon gear.
When I first started fishing Ucluelet in the 80's they were considered a nuisance they were so common.

Spent 10:00 - 1:00 on the flats. A few other boats. Kind of slow. Two chinooks, both 5lbs. on spoons. Crabbing was disappointing.

Great fun day on the water off victoria with my kids and wife! dropped the prawn traps at 10am, let them soak while we toured the inner harbor and stopped at fisherman's wharf for coffee and snacks. pulled the traps around 1pm (scotsman was already getting pulled under despite the slow currents) and got our limit of nice size prawns.. saw a few guys fishing the waterfront but didnt see anything at the dock.

Attachments

• 20201121_141341.jpg
    20201121_141341.jpg
    284.5 KB · Views: 73
Hit the water at about 11:30, dropped the trap off in front of Saxe Point and headed out to start fishing.

Just got both rods in the water when i heard a thump thump, I look back and my son who was driving the boat thought it would be a good idea to run over a crab float in 130’ of water. I guess when you’re 25, you don’t see those orange things bobbing in the water! So yes, we managed to hook our downriggerr on the rope. Once we got the mess all untangled and ready to go, we started fishing again.

Fished in front of Brochie, breakwater and MacAulay in depths from 90-135’. Ended up with 3 keepers, 2 were about 6-7 lb and one was about 4.(single hook bleeder)

ended up with A few shakers and another 4 lber that was released. Packed up by 2:30

all were caught on the right side of the boat with the anchovy spoon, just off the bottom by about 5-10’

ended up with 7 crab, all males, 2 were keepers

Left 3 traps overnight off of oak bay and pulled them this morning (Monday). As my wife and I were pulling up our first trap we spotted another boat approaching one of other traps. We then watched the individuals on the boat start to pull up our gear. We cruised over to where they were and asked what they were doing pulling up our trap and the 2 older Asian men dropped the buoy and played stupid claiming they thought it was theirs. We left it at that and they cruised away while we pulled up the trap. With two pots pulled we looked for the third that was dropped in the same area and nothing. Circled the bay for 20 minutes and nothing, no sign of our buoy. I cruised back over to the same boat who we caught “accidentally” pulling up our gear to see if it was sitting in their boat and it was not. I couldn’t help but notice the traps they had on board were all equipped with empty containers as floats.. nothing similar to the big orange buoys we use.. We cruised around some more and did end up finding our missing trap just off the shore of cattle point.. no bait left and not a single crab inside.

The first two traps had approximately 10 crabs each, 3 keepers between the 2. Happy with our haul despite the funny business.

Perhaps the tide dragged our 3rd trap to the point and the crabs found a way out.. Either way, I thought I’d share. If you see a couple of older individuals in an older blue and white 16’ hourston-like boat cruising up on your pots, you may want to pay closer attention.
Cheers

Had several strikes out at Albert Head on Sunday, but managed to lose them all. I put the fish camera on the line to see what was going on down there. Nice to see so much activity.

Albert Head Halibut

How deep if you don’t mind me asking ?

Good to know there is at least some flounder around ( probably only cause they can’t get the big long line hooks in their yaps )

Hey Coastal, was the boat blue and white with the kicker wrapped in a green garbage bag?
They had a pretty full boat on Saturday. I was at cattle pt. when they were pulling out. Ultra friendly, waving and laughing. One of them came down and was trying to communicate something? I think they are visitors/guests from over seas, even during this covid thing. Didn't see any rods.

Amazing day on the water, got out late after a toddler tantrum but fortunately he was a stellar deck hand as usual. Dropped the traps and went looking for a deep missing crab trap from November 11th. 130 feetish off esquimalt lagoon, two white floats but one is a very faded orange float. Commercial string may have been laid over it but I figure he would have checked it by now but.... If anyone sees one out there, phone number on it. Would love to have it back, big commercial trap if you have a trap puller.

Jigged a little at the green can and then the yellow can, no nibbles but not great technique but grandma and son were having fun. Got some bugs but way too many females. Released a ton and only one took a while to figure out which way was down.

Rumours off one Hali at the dock but he was carrying a light cooler, guy said he had a couple hatch.....nice to see @Old Goat 's footage. Would almost go again but family day tomorrow. Enjoy this weather!

Saturday was a beautiful day to be outside and on the water. Almost too nice and still. After untangling my downrigger I fished the flats for a couple of hours. Nothing except a rockfish for me and a derelict mess of a crab trap on which I lost my downrigger ball and dummy flasher. I recovered the float and about three different slimy ropes and what was left of the unweighted trap. Aaargh!

Did one troll past of "The Gap" with the remaining rod and got one smaller spring on which let go beside the boat.

Left 3 traps overnight off of oak bay and pulled them this morning (Monday). As my wife and I were pulling up our first trap we spotted another boat approaching one of other traps. We then watched the individuals on the boat start to pull up our gear. We cruised over to where they were and asked what they were doing pulling up our trap and the 2 older Asian men dropped the buoy and played stupid claiming they thought it was theirs. We left it at that and they cruised away while we pulled up the trap. With two pots pulled we looked for the third that was dropped in the same area and nothing. Circled the bay for 20 minutes and nothing, no sign of our buoy. I cruised back over to the same boat who we caught “accidentally” pulling up our gear to see if it was sitting in their boat and it was not. I couldn’t help but notice the traps they had on board were all equipped with empty containers as floats.. nothing similar to the big orange buoys we use.. We cruised around some more and did end up finding our missing trap just off the shore of cattle point.. no bait left and not a single crab inside.

The first two traps had approximately 10 crabs each, 3 keepers between the 2. Happy with our haul despite the funny business.

Perhaps the tide dragged our 3rd trap to the point and the crabs found a way out.. Either way, I thought I’d share. If you see a couple of older individuals in an older blue and white 16’ hourston-like boat cruising up on your pots, you may want to pay closer attention.
Cheers
They were launching at Cattle point at dusk tonight unfortunately I didn’t have time to go to Willows and see what they were doing

Full moon plunder...
Got out Sat on the pick at Constance Bank surrounded by the sounds of nature.
Whales ,Birds Jets, old war planes & Freighters But I miss the Coho Ferry. Sun was keepin us warm and the rods were busy & 2 ish it’s the ilusive 40 lb halibut. Others were some big dogfish,ratfish, a monster skate & a bit of a tan. Had a great day Tks buds.

Attachments

• 95559BFD-77CA-4A40-A04C-BD6ED6545E90.jpeg
    95559BFD-77CA-4A40-A04C-BD6ED6545E90.jpeg
    163.6 KB · Views: 160
  • C09C8FB5-E37F-4450-A0A7-7B1CA25731E0.png
    C09C8FB5-E37F-4450-A0A7-7B1CA25731E0.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 154
Saturday was a near perfect day on the water. Fished Constance and the Mudhole. There wasn't much going on at Constance, but there was lots of activity at the Mudhole.

I put the camera on to see what was there.

Mudhole at 290 ft.

Apologies for the really jerky video...bottom bouncing and video recording don't mix well. It's a bit tough to see, but there are halibut, flounder, rats and lots of crabs there at 290 ft. Everyone feasted on the salmon belly, but unfortunately, only the rat fish stayed on the hooks.

Saturday was a near perfect day on the water. Fished Constance and the Mudhole. There wasn't much going on at Constance, but there was lots of activity at the Mudhole.

I put the camera on to see what was there.

Mudhole at 290 ft.

Apologies for the really jerky video...bottom bouncing and video recording don't mix well. It's a bit tough to see, but there are halibut, flounder, rats and lots of crabs there at 290 ft. Everyone feasted on the salmon belly, but unfortunately, only the rat fish stayed on the hooks.
i’m from CR but man after watching that video me thinks you boys should be grabbing your prawn ropes and sending down you crab traps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back