2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to try heading out off the waterfront this weekend taking my brother in law out for his first time weather permitting don’t have high hopes but will report back, give the motors a good run anyway lol

Out off the waterfront 10-3 today for a mid day madness, marking lots of bait and fish just couldn’t get them to bite so made for a slow day of fishing. 4 keeper crabs outa 2 traps both full Of just unders. Sun was in & out and no rain or winds so nice relaxing day.

We picked up one after we saw you. We were about halfway over to Albert Head, 110 ft of water and got it right on the bottom. (About 6lbs). Unfortunately just before we got the fish I left a ball on the bottom. I was yacking with my buddy instead of paying attention to the screen. :(:(. Should know better by now.

10 days and no reports?!

Anyone else have luck for coho? Definitely a bit late...
Our AP lure did well for us for Coho as well but out in Sooke in early October.
My cost per fish is staggering at present, but ultimately not what it’s about.
Throw crab traps over to average down your costs...I think I'm under $100 per fish thanks to crabs being $25+ in stores....but then again it's boat math I'm using!

Eyeing up Sunday for Halibut.

Fished 730am-2pm most of the day on Constance bank and a few tacks along the water front for the hell of it no luck with Halibut, few shakers and 1 good hit that was gone by the time I got the rod out, overall beauty day can’t complain

had to take advantage of the sun and warm today for one last kick at the can before winterizing the boat. Trolled from Fleming to Albert Head and back not expecting much action but got two keeper feeder springs and a dinner plate sized flounder and a crab trap stuffed full of which 7 seven keepers. Maybe wont put the boat away just yet but doubt any more beauty days like today left.

Got out to Constance looking for Hali yesterday. Nothing, not even a nibble. Probably 10 or more boats all anchored up out there in the fog. I did have a visit from one very curious and brave sea lion though that was going from boat to boat.

We were anchored near Race yesterday and only dogfish on the menu. No other boats around us. We had lots of crab in two pots. Picked the biggest and tossed at least another 8 legals. Only a couple of females and both were loaded with eggs/seed. Still soft shells. When do they harden up?

Out yesterday afternoon and had 5 shakers and one just undersized salmon to the side of the boat. Beautiful day and incredible sunset. That and 3 nice crabs made up for the lack of keepers!

I think I'm done for the season now,but you guys should make the run out to Constance on a flat,slow current day at tide change.Last week myself and others I know caught some 7-11 pound springs jigging mid water on the bank.The Shimano butterfly jigs worked for me,it seems like their feeding on herring more than needle fish now.

Wondering if all the wiley winter-fishing veterans could weigh in on something. In the past, I haven't generally fished past October. Been out a couple of times lately and I could NOT keep the little shakers off my lines. Have fished Albert Head, Constance, Trial, Clover, Brotchie, and just in front of Esq Launch and both times, nothing but tiny guys. Last time I was checking lines every 20 minutes and almost EVERY time there was a tiny one on. Most smaller than my junk which is not overly impressive. I pretty much exclusively use spoons (Peetz, AP, Left Coast). Any tips to avoid snagging the little guys? This problem is fairly annoying and although I take care releasing even the littlest guy, I feel like they are not going to survive if I am trolling them around for 10 or 15 minutes. Bigger spoons? Plugs? Muskie Lures? Any small pieces of advice are much appreciated and thanks for all the great reports, really enjoy all the info - thanks...

Wondering if all the wiley winter-fishing veterans could weigh in on something. In the past, I haven't generally fished past October. Been out a couple of times lately and I could NOT keep the little shakers off my lines. Have fished Albert Head, Constance, Trial, Clover, Brotchie, and just in front of Esq Launch and both times, nothing but tiny guys. Last time I was checking lines every 20 minutes and almost EVERY time there was a tiny one on. Most smaller than my junk which is not overly impressive. I pretty much exclusively use spoons (Peetz, AP, Left Coast). Any tips to avoid snagging the little guys? This problem is fairly annoying and although I take care releasing even the littlest guy, I feel like they are not going to survive if I am trolling them around for 10 or 15 minutes. Bigger spoons? Plugs? Muskie Lures? Any small pieces of advice are much appreciated and thanks for all the great reports, really enjoy all the info - thanks...
Try moving to a different area. You won’t catch fish dragging around shakers anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back