2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fellow Fisher people get your kids out fishing this holiday season some of the best winter fishing I have seen in alot of years. They aren't big but lots of 3 to 5 lovers with a few 8 to 12 mixed in, but you should get 15 or 20 fish in a 4 hour trip
Keep in mind these 3 to 5 pounders will be 10 to 18 pounders this summer.
The mortality rate on releasing these springs is significant.

Fellow Fisher people get your kids out fishing this holiday season some of the best winter fishing I have seen in alot of years. They aren't big but lots of 3 to 5 lovers with a few 8 to 12 mixed in, but you should get 15 or 20 fish in a 4 hour trip

Myself and a few seasoned buddies have found it scratchy at best...
12-16 " (2-3 lb) fish seem to predominate.
Would sure like to see more in the 8-12 lb range.
So few fishing now I would highly doubt much mortality impact.

Oak bay master. Any info on when and where to fish the area? Im from duncan, have a 14ft mirro craft tin boat. Will it be enuf boat? Any info is much appreciated
I think you should wait until spring or summer with your boat, this time of year the weather changes quick

If you release these fish properly, the mortality rate will be very minimal. Give the fish their best chance by not netting them, don't man handle them for pictures hold the line and get them back inn the water quickly

Sorry Scott should have said the waterfront is where we have been fishing. Your right not many 8 to 12 lbs fish

I have to agree, I was out to Constance just before it snowed and it was pretty steady action on 2-3lb fish, with one that was about 6lb. I think you can have great days with a fair bit of action if you find a school of feeders. Finding fish over 10lbs is going to be a stretch.

Oak bay master. Any info on when and where to fish the area? Im from duncan, have a 14ft mirro craft tin boat. Will it be enuf boat? Any info is much appreciated
I go out in a 12' mirrocraft but really watch the forecasts. For Victoria waterfront go to Bigwavedave and check the live cam for Dallas rd., Harling point and Willows beach. If the wind forecasts are 0's and 5's with maybe the occasional 10 it's probably ok. Just be careful.

Yes, they will be and for most of the late Spring up to August 1 you won’t even be allowed to fish for them.

I go out in a 12' mirrocraft but really watch the forecasts. For Victoria waterfront go to Bigwavedave and check the live cam for Dallas rd., Harling point and Willows beach. If the wind forecasts are 0's and 5's with maybe the occasional 10 it's probably ok. Just be careful.
I always check the official marine forecast by Environment Canada: Haro Strait and Juan De Fuca East Entrance if only for the "insurance value" should I get in trouble and find myself being rescued. My guess is that if there is any weather involved someone is going to ask "Did you check the Marine Weather Forecast?", BWD and Windy and even the City forecasts don't count.

I always check the official marine forecast by Environment Canada: Haro Strait and Juan De Fuca East Entrance if only for the "insurance value" should I get in trouble and find myself being rescued. My guess is that if there is any weather involved someone is going to ask "Did you check the Marine Weather Forecast?", BWD and Windy and even the City forecasts don't count.
Windy is also a good site and often more accurate than BWD.

Pretty tough to beat a web cams for present real time conditions for specific locations for little boat guys who have no intention of heading out to the banks. I might fish OB tomorrow. Thanks for the cool Windy app.

Pretty tough to beat a web cams for present real time conditions for specific locations for little boat guys who have no intention of heading out to the banks. I might fish OB tomorrow. Thanks for the cool Windy app.
We fish in a 14 ft lund, oak bay, waterfront, constance bank on a good weather day.

I might fish oak bay tomorrow about one pm like you said 5 knots from the north should be comfortable l fished the gap on the 23rd only one strike 28 inches just under ten already smoked

Attachments

• 590C408D-8ABD-47E7-B37D-BB9AD33A84D9.jpeg
    590C408D-8ABD-47E7-B37D-BB9AD33A84D9.jpeg
    221.8 KB · Views: 37
Whoa. Hold the phones, here. At the risk of a derail, Cataline, could you please post up some pics and the story of the boat in your Avatar, in the appropriate section? Maybe the boats/towing rigs section. She looks like a modified bartender or something like that. I’d love to know a bit more about her. Thanks in advance.

Whoa. Hold the phones, here. At the risk of a derail, Cataline, could you please post up some pics and the story of the boat in your Avatar, in the appropriate section? Maybe the boats/towing rigs section. She looks like a modified bartender or something like that. I’d love to know a bit more about her. Thanks in advance.
Don’t worry, it’s impossible to derail winter spring fishing reports. They are already being constantly derailed so you’re just derailing another derail at this point.
sorry for the derail.

I fish out of a 14ft Lund also and prefer fishing the waterfront in the winter. Feels a bit safer. Tends to be more eyes around and the launches are protected from the wind should the wind pick up unexpectedly.

Last edited:
I fish out of a 14ft Lund also and prefer fishing the waterfront in the winter. Feels a bit safer. Tends to me more eyes around and the launches are protected from the wind should the wind pick up unexpectedly.
I am going to Langford lake again with the tinnie, yesterday was awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back