2020 Victoria and Oak Bay Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like fishing spoons but I definitely find catch they catch more shakers than anything else. Hootchies will catch less shakers and most of the time when you have the size/colour/rig right they do as well or better on the target fish. The only downside is you can't take off the flasher which is nice to do sometimes with the spoons.

I fish these same areas for winter fish. I find the good size winter fish to really target the larger spoons when the herring are around. Sometimes this can mean less action but, I find the reward worth it. Like others mentioned, I move or switch to larger spoons from smaller lures if I am getting wee tiddlers. I find squirts with 1/2 the strands ripped off to work best when the fish are hitting small sand lance though.

Weather looks good and tides ok, trying for a quick triple header attempt today. Will stop and drift at 11 for our members who served and those no longer with us.
Scratchy, 1 big momma doggy and 1 regular big dog fish. In the old days I would have stuck and staid, to make it pay but we were drifting so tried a few other spots on the boarder with no other nibbles. No where close to the limits in the traps down deep with Tuna head and spine, 6 D and 1 R.

Got out about 12:00 after the Remembrance Day Ceremony. Tried the Gap and got a 11 lb Spring right off the bat. Gave it an hour and then went over to the flats and got another about 4 lbs. Both clipped fish on 4" No Banana's" spoon. Both were well off the bottom on my non downrigger rod. No other salmon action.

One crab trap gone. I suspect some kelp dragged the float under since it was well waited. Check on the weekend. The other had exactly four legal Dungeness Crabs in it.

Should of tried for Hali's.;)

Got out about 12:00 after the Remembrance Day Ceremony. Tried the Gap and got a 11 lb Spring right off the bat. Gave it an hour and then went over to the flats and got another about 4 lbs. Both clipped fish on 4" No Banana's" spoon. Both were well off the bottom on my non downrigger rod. No other salmon action.

One crab trap gone. I suspect some kelp dragged the float under since it was well waited. Check on the weekend. The other had exactly four legal Dungeness Crabs in it.

Should of tried for Hali's.;)

I would be happy with a 11lb spring this time of year and with the luck I have had for Hali, I would say it’s barely worth the try

Wondering if all the wiley winter-fishing veterans could weigh in on something. In the past, I haven't generally fished past October. Been out a couple of times lately and I could NOT keep the little shakers off my lines. Have fished Albert Head, Constance, Trial, Clover, Brotchie, and just in front of Esq Launch and both times, nothing but tiny guys. Last time I was checking lines every 20 minutes and almost EVERY time there was a tiny one on. Most smaller than my junk which is not overly impressive. I pretty much exclusively use spoons (Peetz, AP, Left Coast). Any tips to avoid snagging the little guys? This problem is fairly annoying and although I take care releasing even the littlest guy, I feel like they are not going to survive if I am trolling them around for 10 or 15 minutes. Bigger spoons? Plugs? Muskie Lures? Any small pieces of advice are much appreciated and thanks for all the great reports, really enjoy all the info - thanks...

I have not tried to rig a spoon like this myself as I do not troll much but I think it has potential to dodge the little guys without having to use a huge spoon. I don't think a circle hook is required but it probably also helps keep small fish from getting hooked. Basically the fish has to swallow the entire spoon to get to the hook.
Screenshot_20201112-225308_Chrome.jpg

I have not tried to rig a spoon like this myself as I do not troll much but I think it has potential to dodge the little guys without having to use a huge spoon. I don't think a circle hook is required but it probably also helps keep small fish from getting hooked. Basically the fish has to swallow the entire spoon to get to the hook.
View attachment 58705
One problem I see is it doesn't match our bait fish very well. Ie herring anchovy needle fish and squid.
Never hurts to try though

Here's my experience for the little Chinooks. I find if I use spoons with just a single hook, barbless, not many get mangled and are released nicely unharmed. Although effective as a lure, small dart hootchies work well too, but I don't run tandem hook setups, single hook on a swivel only. tandem hook setups often result in messy releases and lost eyes for the fish when they go berserk beside the boat with the stinger hook flopping around.

This time of year, you have to weed through quite a few the little ones to get a decent keeper. It's part of the deal.

AP spoons or Coho Killers with glow both work great, rake it along the bottom. The AP spoons are far more durable and worth the extra money as they will last you years. Drop the gear until it touches bottom, pull it up 5 to 10 feet and you will get your fill of feeder chinooks. Cover lots of ground until you find them, then work the spot.

One problem I see is it doesn't match our bait fish very well. Ie herring anchovy needle fish and squid.
Never hurts to try though
Yes probably not the best lure. I was using that pic more as a style of rigging. Replace the crankbait with a spoon or hootchie. The goal is to prevent little fish from getting hooked while nipping at the tail end.

I wonder if the apparent reduced number of halibut around the South Island is part of a cycle or if they can’t take the increased pressure. Sport fishing for halibut has really ramped up the last decade especially in our area.

Slow growing fish + lots of pressure...

Used to catch a couple halibut per year just salmon fishing but it’s been years and years since I’ve had a halibut hit the salmon gear.

I wonder if the apparent reduced number of halibut around the South Island is part of a cycle or if they can’t take the increased pressure. Sport fishing for halibut has really ramped up the last decade especially in our area.

Slow growing fish + lots of pressure...

Used to catch a couple halibut per year just salmon fishing but it’s been years and years since I’ve had a halibut hit the salmon gear.
We have a commercial fishery with I don't know how many hooks in the water usually in March and April and it is not uncommon to see 30 or more guys on the hook from Discovery to the Race.
Gota believe the fishing pressure is mostly to blame.

Recovered my "lost" crab trap Saturday morning. The float must have been pulled down by debris on 11th but was right where I left it three days later. Nothing but a bit of seaweed in it. I was worried that it would keep fishing but fortunately crabs can eventually get out. Non weighted doors probably blow open during the heavy tides.

Had the rods onboard but decided it was wise to head back to the ramp. A special thanks to the special Mercedes driver that figured he could park his suv on the concrete beach.

Been 5 years since I've caught hallie's trolling for salmon.
Used to get 5 or 6 every season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back