2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem is with fishing livies the traditional way with two trebles on a long leader is the hooks are tiny and salmon tend to inhale the bait so there is a very high mortality rate...Would be nice to figure out a way to rig a single through the snout and have the leader not tangle and the swimmer stay on the hook....

The problem is with fishing livies the traditional way with two trebles on a long leader is the hooks are tiny and salmon tend to inhale the bait so there is a very high mortality rate...Would be nice to figure out a way to rig a single through the snout and have the leader not tangle and the swimmer stay on the hook....
Back in the day, we used to rake firecrackers near Denman and Hornby Islands and just rig them with a small single through the upper lip. Worked OK.

I tried it and got all doggies instantly. Big buggers too.

How big were the herring you were getting?

If you skin the dogfish shortly after catching it no need to soak in milk. Lots of youtube videos how to skin them. Leave the skin on for a few hours then you would have to soak. Just do not eat them often and stick to the smaller ones - they are old and high in mercury as a result. The big ones are probably as old or older than you. They are good for fish and chips.

How big were the herring you were getting?

If you skin the dogfish shortly after catching it no need to soak in milk. Lots of youtube videos how to skin them. Leave the skin on for a few hours then you would have to soak. Just do not eat them often and stick to the smaller ones - they are old and high in mercury as a result. The big ones are probably as old or older than you. They are good for fish and chips.
Ugh I just can't do it. I've tossed literally hundreds of those buggers. The Herring ranged from 4" to almost 10" monsters.

with all the rain and wind we had, anyone fished today? looks like the Cap came up and now sitting at around 2 M so some fish will be able to go up. Had nothing but slow days in the last couple of weeks, hope fishing will be better tomorrow.

Question on area 28-9: todays Pacific Angler Fishing Report is stating that 28-9 has no upper size limit on chinook. Is this correct ? I have gone forth and back in the regs, but can't figure it out. A mail to dfo came back with the anser to look it up in the SFG....very helpful ! Please clarify...thanks.

We hammered the slot limit discussion for the cap fishery and agreed the slot limit is in place there too. Thanks to @CBsqrd for his input.

Even still, I spent a few hours on Wednesday off the cap and then spent the cash on fuel I should have spent in the first place. I'm just not a fan of that area and there's action not that far away. Be back out Sunday at first light...see how it goes.

Question on area 28-9: todays Pacific Angler Fishing Report is stating that 28-9 has no upper size limit on chinook. Is this correct ? I have gone forth and back in the regs, but can't figure it out. A mail to dfo came back with the anser to look it up in the SFG....very helpful ! Please clarify...thanks.
Its in the restrictions section area 28, 80cm max

Memories, catching baby perch at the dock with my dad at coal harbour and fishing off the seawall and under the Lions Gate bridge for rock fish
memories

I believe the "no upper limit" kicks in on September 1st.. Until then it's 62-80

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back