2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
North of thraser in the deep....500 fow at 120 on the cable...was testing a couple of new hoochies with morsel sized chunk of herring meat attached to the hook. Nothing else was working as it was a bit slow today at least for me. But the new black and white hoochie with a chunk of herring did the trick. Nice 71cm spring. Other than that it was quiet for me and will not likely do another run over there this year.

Question guys...come sept 1st at sandheads or NA... If you are running 4 rods and just got to the fishing grounds..do you set up all 4 rods with bait or do you go 2 bait and 2 artificial....etc... Some reports from last year showed good success with artificial in Aug and sept but curious as to what your typical go to set up is for sept at those locations.

North of thraser in the deep....500 fow at 120 on the cable...was testing a couple of new hoochies with morsel sized chunk of herring meat attached to the hook. Nothing else was working as it was a bit slow today at least for me. But the new black and white hoochie with a chunk of herring did the trick. Nice 71cm spring. Other than that it was quiet for me and will not likely do another run over there this year.

Question guys...come sept 1st at sandheads or NA... If you are running 4 rods and just got to the fishing grounds..do you set up all 4 rods with bait or do you go 2 bait and 2 artificial....etc... Some reports from last year showed good success with artificial in Aug and sept but curious as to what your typical go to set up is for sept at those locations.
When the fish are there is no reason to run four rods in my opinion. Typically if I run four I run bait on the two shallow rods, makes for a lot less work checking bait.

Bait did the trick last year , but even when we had our Springs , we'd put out small pink hoochies for Pinks , and we still caught Springs .

Green label and red label herring at sand heads or nothing for me

Bait all the way! I'm hoping last year is the new normal but I wouldn't count on it. Most likely you will have to work for them a bit. Medium herring and chovies.

Massive wild Coho last night at 6:30pm West Van shoreline - anchovy at 85ft. Thought it was a Spring for sure based upon size until I went in for the measure at 33 inches and saw the tail. Released in good condition, awesome to see a Coho of that size.

By the way, where is "fisheries"

Massive wild Coho last night at 6:30pm West Van shoreline - anchovy at 85ft. Thought it was a Spring for sure based upon size until I went in for the measure at 33 inches and saw the tail. Released in good condition, awesome to see a Coho of that size.

Nice work. The Fisheries area is out towards Caulfield Cove west along the shore from Ambleside a mile or so.

Productive morning in Active yesterday. Big guy hit like a bus and started peeling long line right away. Kept the 2nd rod down as my girlfriend was navigating boats and the heavy tide rip on the wheel when 15 minutes into the fight the second rod went off and we were doubled up. Playing the fish steering from the back and fighting to get the net out (yes CandR net) doubled up there was haywire to say the least. Once we finally got the big one to the boat i had the net ready in one hand and went for it.. And he tailwalked right outta there... Was very lucky to get another go and didn`t miss again. Grabbed the leader on the gf`s fish, she did a great job the fish was beat, and over the side. 79cm perfect. No bleed or beat on the big one and it was released cleanly and was happy to boot right off. What an incredible experience. No measurement or weight on it as we got it back in as soon as possible but it was much much larger than any weighed 25lber I`ve ever caught so I`m calling it a tyee in my own head and there wasn`t really a doubt seeing it in person. What a rush!

Thanks Gator for the update!

Is that area good for Chinook? Or is this just a government throwing the dog a token bone? Isn't that a high traffic shipping lane?
They chase us off those shipping lanes so imagine the congestion for that small area. Its a token offering considering commercial has opened up based on countsin some areas. So why not open it correctly for all. Just my rant.

Can’t seem to see your pics.were u trolling in the inside of Active or motor mooching old school style?

Productive morning in Active yesterday. Big guy hit like a bus and started peeling long line right away. Kept the 2nd rod down as my girlfriend was navigating boats and the heavy tide rip on the wheel when 15 minutes into the fight the second rod went off and we were doubled up. Playing the fish steering from the back and fighting to get the net out (yes CandR net) doubled up there was haywire to say the least. Once we finally got the big one to the boat i had the net ready in one hand and went for it.. And he tailwalked right outta there... Was very lucky to get another go and didn`t miss again. Grabbed the leader on the gf`s fish, she did a great job the fish was beat, and over the side. 79cm perfect. No bleed or beat on the big one and it was released cleanly and was happy to boot right off. What an incredible experience. No measurement or weight on it as we got it back in as soon as possible but it was much much larger than any weighed 25lber I`ve ever caught so I`m calling it a tyee in my own head and there wasn`t really a doubt seeing it in person. What a rush!

It hasn't been Government property for decades. sold to private. West Van Labs. there is a wharf and pilings. guides did net pen raised/tranfered chinooks smolts there.

September is the tail end of the red Chinook run and when the white nooks start to show in numbers. It’s also time to fill the freezer before the big rains start - thank you DFO! I don’t think that I want to experience anything new this year when fishing the river mouth. So, I’m gonna stick with my cured meat and shiny teaser heads this year.
BTW, have been fishing the north straight the last couple of days and it’s been consistently slow with a lot of undersized fish on chovies and rubber. I’m yet to see a school of socks in the area. 2016 we fished this area in mid August and we could see them on the surface and sonar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back