2020 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those traps always seem to be there. I’ve tried there twice now all 3 traps empty the last time and 3 prawns the first time I tried. If anyone has any suggestions for where to prawn I’d really appreciate it. Father is out today by RC said it’s been non stop action and just released a 20 pounder 90’ down on a skinny g herring aid.
Not being a quitter, I tried there again yesterday. 2 traps, zero prawns, 4 hour soak. Now I’m quitting. Lol

Out yesterday, flat calm. Worked RC area. Dead. Headed to the hump. Dead. Back to RC, picked up a couple of decent springs around 2pm which were the only hits all day. Didn’t see much action in other boats but a great day to be on the water nonetheless.

Out yesterday, flat calm. Worked RC area. Dead. Headed to the hump. Dead. Back to RC, picked up a couple of decent springs around 2pm which were the only hits all day. Didn’t see much action in other boats but a great day to be on the water nonetheless.
I'm not a fan of Prawning South Bowen either. It's a monkey see monkey do thing I think.
Also I'm assuming this lack of success fishing that area for everyone is not finding fish it's more than likely a short bite window. Just gotta wait for that switch to turn on with the right presentation down.

You’re exactly right. 3 days ago same routine, same setup, and into 20 fish in 4 hours with 2 hours being crazy hot.

fishing the hump I just watch my sounder for fish or bait and just do circles change direction here and there you will get the fish passing thru sometimes it hot right away sometimes takes a bit just need to cover water when u hit a fish circle back as there could be more

Have found a much better grade of fish out at the hump this year, rather than go dick around with all the 4 - 6 lbers off RC , lots of fish in the mid to high teens . There is big herring out there, put away all the garbage Gibbs delta spoons , we troll at like 2.7 - 3 kts and troll naked 5 - 6 inch spoons and 5 inch plugs above dummies . SE corner always produces

Have found a much better grade of fish out at the hump this year, rather than go dick around with all the 4 - 6 lbers off RC , lots of fish in the mid to high teens . There is big herring out there, put away all the garbage Gibbs delta spoons , we troll at like 2.7 - 3 kts and troll naked 5 - 6 inch spoons and 5 inch plugs above dummies . SE corner always produces
That’s awesome how deep u find the best out there for the big boys?

Buddy was out on his boat yesterday. My boat is out of commission due to trailer work for next 1.5 weeks so he was nice enough to give me play by play updates while he was on the water so I could live vicariously through him while stuck on dry land. Hooked up on a nice looking fish that appeared to be 12-15lbs past QA. After the release, he turned back and almost in the identical spot got another nice 10-12 pounder. Rods were quiet after that with the exception of a few unders. 140 and 160 on the riggers in 500ft of water.

Adanac, when you troll naked, what length leader would you use?

I just use the same leaders that I run off the flashers but you can clip to whatever length you like. I usually run one as tight as 10 feet back but sometimes as much as 30'. I also run kone zones when I'm doing this. Kone Zone - 4 feet up a short clip to a naked herring or large spoon - 30 feet up a plug 30' back.

For spoons I run an average 6 foot leader , about 10 ‘ - 15’ behind the dummie.

for plugs I run them 30 - 40 feet back out the clip, I was always taught to fish them on the mainline no swivel.

make sure you have your clip at least 4’ above your dummy off the ball and be careful not to drop too fast as this can cause tangles

Guys. Remind me. When last year was retention allowed? Was it July 1? Was it 1 Chinook then 2 later in the summer?

My trailer needs maintenance work which has kept me off the waters for the past week. Seems like the recent reports are indicating some good activity around the Hump and South Bowen. Glad folks are able to get out and enjoy the fishing and nice weather. For those of you who have been recently out, if you have to estimate, what percent of the legal sized springs are hatchery marked fish?

We were south of Bowen this past Saturday and Monday. Caught and released 14 chinook, 11 hatchery, 1 keeper, 5 just under and the rest weren't much to write home about. Was fun to be out.

I'm heading out this Thursday morning, fuel up and putt my way to the hump for a slow cruise to the Coast. All this talk above about naked this, leader that reminds me how much I forget over the winter lol. Anyway it's been a long six weeks of intense work and I'm super stoked for this short trip over night.

Seems it might be a bit sloppy on the run downhill Friday if the 30 knot SE kicks in so if I have to stay up there another night or 2, zero complaints.

Anyone else heading out Thursday? My buddies were out SE corner off Bowen last night from 5 pm to 7 got into 6 nice angry feeders. All spoons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back