2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was looking online to buy some fake anchovies (baitrix?). Could find any on amazon or anywhere else online. You guys have any suggestion? Do some of the tackle stores carry? Was Hoping to get some before Saturday to give it a try.
Do yourself a favour and don’t waste your money on this crap. We all spend more $$ on gas, insurance, gear, repairs, etc. than what this may save over a pack of real chovies. So, just use the real thing and have confidence in your presentation. Adding scent to a piece of rubber just adds to your cost, it’s still messy and not even as effective as the old and frozen piece of real meat. I’d fish an AP spoon or hoochie over the rubber shait at any given day.
Ok if you don’t want to buy fresh bait but make sure you’re not rigging your old bait with a dull hook (ehem!)

My 2cents for what it’s worth.

Do yourself a favour and don’t waste your money on this crap. We all spend more $$ on gas, insurance, gear, repairs, etc. than what this may save over a pack of real chovies. So, just use the real thing and have confidence in your presentation. Adding scent to a piece of rubber just adds to your cost, it’s still messy and not even as effective as the old and frozen piece of real meat. I’d fish an AP spoon or hoochie over the rubber shait at any given day.
Ok if you don’t want to buy fresh bait but make sure you’re not rigging your old bait with a dull hook (ehem!)

My 2cents for what it’s worth.
100% agreed.

Someone asked about Sand heads:

We fished Sand heads Monday, water starting to get pretty "wintery" with 2-3 foot waves all morning, bit bouncy, but settled out nice late afternoon. Fishing however was brutal - damn seals were just FIERCE, worse than ever experienced, ever! Same group of 4+ seals followed us like love-drunk teenagers after a free sex-crazed hooker. They ate anything and everything off the lines; any and almost all fish we caught, our herring, even the anchovies, tried going way out, followed us. Was no fun.
Not a lot of boats out Monday, to get their attention away from us. Needed to"spread their love". :) Boaters that were out Monday were good, steering away when we had fish on and such, was cool, much appreciated whomever you were- good piloting folks.

Had to muscle in what we did boat- bringing it in HOT , with 2+ seals chasing what we got to the boat on the way in - every time. Released one nice super-chrome wild coho ( was tempted but only for an instant - because had such a tough day with seals, but rules are rules) , lots of jacks, bunch bit in half by seals as well. Ended up day with only 2 keepers in the boat, and am buying this f'n kit, that one of you great folks recommended, already ordered it for next year: https://kodiakcanada.com/collection...record-pistol-bear-bangers-and-starter-blanks

Done with Sand heads for 2019, may see you on the rivers folks.
Not worth the effort at SH any more, this year I would say, but your call.

Smoked up first batch of this year's catch this week, no fishing this weekend, newly built convection smoker works great (images below).

Tight lines fellow fisher-folk!

f3ef8e5a47.jpg

ab3e76d682.jpg

Someone asked about Sand heads:

We fished Sand heads Monday, water starting to get pretty "wintery" with 2-3 foot waves all morning, bit bouncy, but settled out nice late afternoon. Fishing however was brutal - damn seals were just FIERCE, worse than ever experienced, ever! Same group of 4+ seals followed us like love-drunk teenagers after a free sex-crazed hooker. They ate anything and everything off the lines; any and almost all fish we caught, our herring, even the anchovies, tried going way out, followed us. Was no fun.
Not a lot of boats out Monday, to get their attention away from us. Needed to"spread their love". :) Boaters that were out Monday were good, steering away when we had fish on and such, was cool, much appreciated whomever you were- good piloting folks.

Had to muscle in what we did boat- bringing it in HOT , with 2+ seals chasing what we got to the boat on the way in - every time. Released one nice super-chrome wild coho ( was tempted but only for an instant - because had such a tough day with seals, but rules are rules) , lots of jacks, bunch bit in half by seals as well. Ended up day with only 2 keepers in the boat, and am buying this f'n kit, that one of you great folks recommended, already ordered it for next year: https://kodiakcanada.com/collection...record-pistol-bear-bangers-and-starter-blanks

Done with Sand heads for 2019, may see you on the rivers folks.
Not worth the effort at SH any more, this year I would say, but your call.

Smoked up first batch of this year's catch this week, no fishing this weekend, newly built convection smoker works great (images below).

Tight lines fellow fisher-folk!

f3ef8e5a47.jpg

ab3e76d682.jpg

Great report. Thanks for the input. That was my feeling as well. Going to do the cap thing tomorrow, pretty favourable weather and tide. Cheers

Just a question this morning , is there any kind of a run or fishery up the Indian Arm?, doesnt the Squamish river run out up there by the Wig wam inn? I know guys periodically fish the powerhouse just curious if anyone has had any success up there as its about 20 mins from my house. Thanks in advance.

Just a question this morning , is there any kind of a run or fishery up the Indian Arm?, doesnt the Squamish river run out up there by the Wig wam inn? I know guys periodically fish the powerhouse just curious if anyone has had any success up there as its about 20 mins from my house. Thanks in advance.
Yes, pinks run up there but I would think they are finished. Indian arm doesn't support fish life. Something wrong with the water feeding it. Otherwise would be like Howe Sound. Tons of jelly fish though.
See towards the end.

Lots of pinks up the Arm a few years ago, my son learned to fish off the wall for pinks with a buzzbomb off the wall just south of wigwam. That was probably 5 years ago and it was mid summer when it was boiling with pinks up there. We were all wtf are we hitting on the run down in August and it was pinks coming back out of the rivers. I haven't seen it like that since unfortunately.

Yes, pinks run up there but I would think they are finished. Indian arm doesn't support fish life. Something wrong with the water feeding it. Otherwise would be like Howe Sound. Tons of jelly fish though.
See towards the end.
Caught my first Steelhead in that exact spot ...head end ,40 years ago

There is a longing road from Squamish to the top of Indian Arm but not sure the rivers connect? My bet is no, but not sure.

In 2019 and 2107 the pink runs for Indian River at the head of Indian Arm have been muted. There are fish but not in any numbers and when they show up they dart up into the river. However 2015 was an epic year. I heard Fisheries did a count and estimated that 2 million pinks showed up. On top of that the drought that year corralled all the fish at the mouth of the river. I had the fortune of being up there a few times during this phenomena - sometimes pinks do not bite but even then it was difficult not to cast and snag a fish. On one occasion we were fishing from kayaks and my 8 year old son had a pink jump into the kayak with him and go crazy. Blood everywhere from the fish hitting its head. My son freaking out and me in a different kayak with a pink snagged by the tail on a light spinning reel. Total gong show.

I’ve also heard the odd chum will turn up in the Indian River. But no Chinook or Coho that I have seen or heard of.

There are RCAs up there so you have to be aware of that but unfortunately also lots of people ignorant of the regulations and some who know but do not care.

Beautiful spot.

Pinks run August in the odd number years. There is a Large no fishing RCA. I have successfully targeted them north end against the wall close to Wigwam Inn with fly and small buzz b. Very low numbers of Chinook.
The Indian River flows in but it is non retention.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back