2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Forecast looks like it might be hairy but I’m thinking the chuck? What are other people thinking? I’m already excited.

I'm definitely heading north Thursday. I haven't seen a marine forecast that far out but I'm anticipating pointing the bow down for a wet 18 knot run to the Coast. If I can get away earlier I will definitely take the long way up and over the Hump. This is all predicated on the regs staying in an "as is" state, at least the fishing part anyway. Hope you're all able to get out there for sure.

Ok looked at it's going to blow SE which is fine for the run but sucks for fishing pretty much everywhere until salmon rock or tunstall. Im lame and dont usually fish off west van until the cap fishery. Lots of time for that to shift all good. I even respooled my reels and serviced them too...game on.

Last edited:
Well I got a late start and had a gong show of a day. Dropped the bolt that connects the downrigger to the base while rigging up. Went swimming to look for it. Couldn't find it. Went to Gibsons for fuel and to get the bolt. Bolt was sold out at both the fuel dock and the marina chandlery. Dropped an anchovy and a small plug and trolled around Gower Point and across the mouth of Shoal Channel. It was choppy and windy with wind over tide. No action. Headed towards Cape Roger Curtis and still nothing. Eventually went to Fisherman's Cove. No bolt at the fuel dock but at least they had ice cream. Finally found the bolt at the Thunderbird chandlery. Got pizza at RVYC Jericho and went swimming...the water is like a bath tub...so warm! Great day on the water, but no salmon on the BBQ tonight

Well I got a late start and had a gong show of a day. Dropped the bolt that connects the downrigger to the base while rigging up. Went swimming to look for it. Couldn't find it. Went to Gibsons for fuel and to get the bolt. Bolt was sold out at both the fuel dock and the marina chandlery. Dropped an anchovy and a small plug and trolled around Gower Point and across the mouth of Shoal Channel. It was choppy and windy with wind over tide. No action. Headed towards Cape Roger Curtis and still nothing. Eventually went to Fisherman's Cove. No bolt at the fuel dock but at least they had ice cream. Finally found the bolt at the Thunderbird chandlery. Got pizza at RVYC Jericho and went swimming...the water is like a bath tub...so warm! Great day on the water, but no salmon on the BBQ tonight

That's a huge day bit after the fact but kits beach is closed right now heads up.

That's a huge day bit after the fact but kits beach is closed right now heads up.
I swam right next door at the dog beach tonight and will again tomorrow AM and probably tomorrow night-the dogs keep the Geese away.

Not seeing much for Salmon closer to the beach but it should start any day you'd be surprised how shallow they come at times.

I'm definitely heading north Thursday. I haven't seen a marine forecast that far out but I'm anticipating pointing the bow down for a wet 18 knot run to the Coast. If I can get away earlier I will definitely take the long way up and over the Hump. This is all predicated on the regs staying in an "as is" state, at least the fishing part anyway. Hope you're all able to get out there for sure.

Ok looked at it's going to blow SE which is fine for the run but sucks for fishing pretty much everywhere until salmon rock or tunstall. Im lame and dont usually fish off west van until the cap fishery. Lots of time for that to shift all good. I even respooled my reels and serviced them too...game on.
Hmmm. So you would still go hump and more north this time of year vs Sandheads (Weather aside)? Thanks for your comments, still getting my feet wet on this local fishery and the guidance really helps!!

I swam right next door at the dog beach tonight and will again tomorrow AM and probably tomorrow night-the dogs keep the Geese away.

Not seeing much for Salmon closer to the beach but it should start any day you'd be surprised how shallow they come at times.

I have fished across the way off the Tea House but not until into August I think? That's cool I didnt know they would come that far into the harbor.

I have fished across the way off the Tea House but not until into August I think? That's cool I didnt know they would come that far into the harbor.
We've seen coho jumping at the mouth of False Creek many times.

Hmmm. So you would still go hump and more north this time of year vs Sandheads (Weather aside)? Thanks for your comments, still getting my feet wet on this local fishery and the guidance really helps!!
I don't think I start hitting up Sandheads until late August. But it'll usually go Hump, QA, Bell, T10 and then Sandheads for me as the summer goes on. Then back to the Crap.

I don't think I start hitting up Sandheads until late August. But it'll usually go Hump, QA, Bell, T10 and then Sandheads for me as the summer goes on. Then back to the Crap.
Thanks. That makes sense. My complex is I want a big red spring (like everyone else). I’ve managed to do well with sockeye last year (which you would hope based on the abundance) and I got a couple big white springs (27 was biggest) at Sandheads. I thought maybe I was just late on getting there for the reds but sounds like I have that wrong. This is why I am on this feed! Looking forward to giving back once I get this dialed in. :).

May largest red ever was about 15lbs so there is a large hole in my ego.

Thanks. That makes sense. My complex is I want a big red spring (like everyone else). I’ve managed to do well with sockeye last year (which you would hope based on the abundance) and I got a couple big white springs (27 was biggest) at Sandheads. I thought maybe I was just late on getting there for the reds but sounds like I have that wrong. This is why I am on this feed! Looking forward to giving back once I get this dialed in. :).
You're just getting dialed in and you got a 27 around here? That's pretty good I'd say. My biggest as well which was at the bell.

You're just getting dialed in and you got a 27 around here? That's pretty good I'd say. My biggest as well which was at the bell.
With my two boys too so it was epic! Perhaps I am being a bit “greedy” but I have been fishing all my 37 years and I feel like I am just now figuring out how to fish. . Thanks again guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back