2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fished morning tide at HITW, not much going on. Only boat here, Water is beautiful though. Anyone else out? Going to poke out to bell or Bowen shortly I think

Edit: handful of under size / barely legal sized and one beautiful high teens from RC/tunstall to end the day. Blue flasher/blood bones hootchie was the preferred combo today

Last edited:
Fished CRC this afternoon and only hooked one under at low slack. Then moved to PA on the way back and fished the west van shore line to Ambleside. Not a sniff.

Mirrors my day on Saturday. Up and down with everyone else off Bowen then headed out to the hump around 11 am It was a handful 2' chop single handing so I headed off to east and west of the pink apartments. Only saw one underside spring all day off the hump and didn't see anyone else into anything either.

On Friday we ran to thrasher. Hit gabriola reefs at low slack for lings and had a few that didnt stick. My buddy was a bit off so we went and trolled the bluffs north towards nanaimo Then things picked up spring after spring mostly under then missed a beauty and had 2 wild coho Back out to the 600' band's and more action for springs In all of this we are the only boat there at all. Bring on next Monday.

Last edited:
Out today at Pt A to just beyond Fisheries. Actually went around the corner to Grebe Islets as well. After coming around the corner at Pt A traveling east the white hootchie goes off the rigger at 45'. Sweet I'm thinking, finally a Coho. And away it went. quickly realized, Spring. Thought it might be in the 20-25lb class. Wind and chop at its worst plus currents converging. Three lines out heading towards the rocks and my six yr old asleep in the co pilot chair. What a gong show for 7 min. What a scrap though. A little shocked to see it was probably just under about 15. I'd wager 12 -14lbs. A good luck beside the boat, twist of the gaff and away it went. Moved to RC at about noon but nothing happening and not much on the sounder. That was it for this weekend.
Where did all those Coho go??

Got into 4 coho yesterday afternoon just after low slack, including one that hit it right in the clip. All 4 were wild. Fishing died off about an hour after low slack. Scratched up a couple smaller Chinook and 2 better fish that my father-in-law lost before they got close to the boat. I think the rain has sucked some of the Coho and even Chinook up the rivers.

I would give the cap a whirl off west van to see if there are some coho smelling fresh water. There are about 200 in the hatchery right now. I also saw some guys into it off lighthouse yesterday on my run back. Btw I was using pink and pink / white hoochies behind green uv flashers 90 to 160 and up to 45 on the third rod running a spoon.

There was about 10 guys fishing from shore at the mouth of the cap today when I was walking the rental dog at ambleside. None of them had taken or seen anything wither as of 1130 am.

I will be back out with the meat at 1201 am on the 15th...brought all my gear home to service my reels and rerigged my downrigger setups.

Game on

Tucked into the bay just east. Marking a ton but nada. I'm going to keep going to cap for the high
See you out there, I'm in an Arima w/ blue canvas top. Let you know if there's any action on my end

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back