2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm planning on fishing Thrasher in the next week but have never fished that area before. I'd like to try some lingcod jigging and salmon trolling. Does anyone have any tips on things to expect when fishing there?

I don't expect anyone to give out their secret spot but any tips such as what to expect in terms of current and tides would be much appreciated.

Thanks
You don't need to know a spot. When you get there you'll see other boats. Just be a sheep until you get some exploring time in. You're either fishing tight to the reef or way out deep. You can fish either side of the light, South side in a blowing NW and vise versa. North West of Silva Bay just outside of the entrance is Grande? Something like that, essentially the bluffs that are visible from way out. Again you can fish in tight or out in 1000'. Even further West Northwest is Entrance Island, another "spot". You can literally catch salmon anywhere this time of year. Expect lots of current the tighter you are to the reef, like lots lots. Fish 5 miles SOG with it and .5 miles against, use your line angle not speed essentially. If you don't get into any fish just keep fishing South towards Porlier, you'll run into them eventually. And last but not least there are no lings there. Just don't bother. They're all gone. Poof.

Last edited:
At RC right now. A bit of chop but totally fishable. Few other boats fishing as well. Haven’t seen any nets out so far.

Moved to the hump before noon and fished for a bit. Released a wild coho on a skinny G in 55’ on the rigger. Too rough and moved to PA. Calm and quiet like a lake now. Small spring to the boat by the fisheries. No sign of coho.

Didn't end up going today. Have a better crew for tomorrow. Did anyone get into fish today? Was thinking about crossing to thrasher but I've never targeted Coho there. Are they around?

Roger Curtis had springs and Cohos here and there all over this morn. Deep water shallow water, deep lines shallow lines, spoons and hootchies. No real bite or hot spot, just kinda fish here fish there. Went 9 for 10, bonked two nice cohos, let two decent springs go.

Fun morning :)

Roger Curtis had springs and Cohos here and there all over this morn. Deep water shallow water, deep lines shallow lines, spoons and hootchies. No real bite or hot spot, just kinda fish here fish there. Went 9 for 10, bonked two nice cohos, let two decent springs go.

Fun morning :)
Well that sounds better than "all is quiet". :). I'll see you guys out there. Feel free to come take a nap on the couch.

Heading to Gibson’s and Vancouver on a family boat trip tomorrow... any spots anybody would recommend? I seem to keep seeing that Bowen Island can be good on this thread.

5 springs into the morning but can’t find the coho. Released an extremely spunky high teener ...wish it was August 1st!

End up grinding it out and found fish around the hump. Hooked 4, landed 3. 1 spring, 1 wild coho, 1 hatch coho. Glow spoons and white hootchie 45-80’ on the riggers. Fished about 4 hours total.

good to hear others fared better in the am.

Been out for few hours lazily following tide lines from South Bowen to the hump looking for a bbq fish. Couple wilds farmed a couple others. Crazy part has been the springs. 37/57 flasher hootchies going 3 knots has made for some epic angry takes.
Not a hatch in sight for me.
Beauty day out though.

Ran over from Nanaimo to Bowen on Friday night and noticed something large and dead in the water. Turned the boat around to have another look and it turned out to be a dead sturgeon. It was about 5-6' long. Can't say I've ever seen that before.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back