2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
1F7828F2-176A-42F6-919A-3A12DC13AD5B.jpeg It was blowing a little bit out there today.

Went out to try to find the hatchery coho. Dropped the lines for a quick troll between Fisheries and Pt Atkinson and nothing happened; moved and dropped the lines for a quick troll out at the Hump and nothing happened; finally, moved and dropped the lines at Roger Curtis and trolled very quickly with the wind towards Worlcombe and had 5 fish hit quickly ... two that I didn’t see, one spring and, thankfully, two beautiful, bright red hatchery coho. The top row in the picture is the +/- 5.5 inch bait out of one fish and the bottom row is out of the second fish ... little wonder the coho grow as fast as they do at this time of year. The fish hit spoons at 75 ft and 85 ft and a third line at 65 ft with a hootchie wasn’t touched.

Half dozen coho off Roger Curtis during tonight's slack tide. Right off the lighthouse.
One was hatchery. in 100-350' of water. 45' on the downrigger was the best depth. Not all that deep given trolling at 4 mph. Lots of action on other boats out there too.
How big ?

Ended the day with three nice plump hatchery fish. Had about 20 to the boat many being springs, a couple clipped springs and wild coho. Was down at 75 and 85ft with herring aids (4.0 and 3.5) for the majority but then switched to skinny G's and up to 40 and 51 and we had about 8 coho to the boat in 15 minutes just off RC. The 3 keepers came in at 51ft on a Bon Chovy Skinny G.

Well what a morning at HITW. Watching the fire spread,avoiding the planes picking up water in the sound and watching the rods. Did end up with 5 hits (2nd a screemer) all at 50 on a dummy flasher and naked hootchie green spackle above.

Pretty much same as last week for me. Stayed at Roger Curtis though today. Plenty of hits again. Mostly handshakes. One 22-23" spring to the boat on a naked spoon and two coho one of which was a hatch. Same stomach contents as last week and as Teja posted. They are plump fish for sure.

Well what a morning at HITW. Watching the fire spread,avoiding the planes picking up water in the sound and watching the rods. Did end up with 5 hits (2nd a screemer) all at 50 on a dummy flasher and naked hootchie green spackle above.

Naked hootchie??? I have tried lots of things but never that. The ocean is full of learning events. Lots of hungry fish and very little fishing pressure. If you like the release part of catching chances are your lure will be the first and probably only one the fish sees. In the pre Trudeau era I wonder what fish would think as they are following a lure and see others zipping along the other way....fish spoiled for choices get indecisive.

Was at the bell/mile markers on Saturday morning for what I thought would be a relaxing leisurely and uneventful trolling session. Released a low teens and one that was surely 20lbs in the first half hour of fishing. Anchovies at 50' in tight to shore. Couldn't do it anymore. My fish bonker was screaming out in agony of inaction. Back to the dock and cracked open a beer at 9:30 AM to calm the nerves.

Can't wait to vote in October. Where do I volunteer to get these clowns out of Ottawa?

How do you fish a naked hootchie? It doesn't create much action does it? Kinda just torpedos through the water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back