2019 Vancouver-Howe Sound-Sechelt Reports Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Commercial Crabbers fish out that deep. Maybe they're doing test sets? Is that legal?

Commercial Crabbers fish out that deep. Maybe they're doing test sets? Is that legal?
Nah, I watched with binoculars for a bit. They were using prawn traps (or maybe as CD said above, shrimp traps). It didn't look like they were catching much. The lines had two traps at a time on them.

Nah, I watched with binoculars for a bit. They were using prawn traps (or maybe as CD said above, shrimp traps). It didn't look like they were catching much. The lines had two traps at a time on them.
Ya they were going for the shrimp if they were in that area. That whole sandy/muddy area has a lot of shrimp. Same to the south towards the Fraser mouths and out to few hundred feet depth. Lot's of sand/mud=shrimp. To the north up the sound and west in the rocky areas=Prawns. I've caught a lot of Pinky shrimp in those areas but don't target them any more cause my family like the bigger ones that are easier to peel and have more meat on them. You'll find more Humpbacks, Coonstripes, and Sidestripes in areas where mud mixes with rocks like where Prawns are more prevalent but the small Pinks like the real sandy/muddy areas but mostly sand.

Whales watching boats following some whales headed straight for Pam Rocks (where the seals hangout) if anyone is out in Howe Sound right now

Epic Day at Thrasher today...
Fished 800am - 200pm
Water Depth 150-600
Rigger Depth 100-125
Spoons 3.5” and 6”
Couldn’t tell you how many I landed!
Was suppose to be three of us...ended up just being me solo...
Started off with nothing but shakers for the first hour...couldn’t get two rods down for thirty mins...was frustrating as I was fighting winds and was really annoyed with the small guys...come 930am i started bringing in some size and it stayed pretty consistent with 8lbs + for the majority of the day...biggest probably being near 13lbs...best fight of the day went to an under 8lber that I’m guessing got into the prop wash along with the current and took out 100yards and was a 5+ Min fight lol :)
Took one of our memebers advice (couple pages back, can’t recal their handle) and fished for over a third of the day with only a 6” spoon on one side with no flasher...boy was that fun...started losing lots of fish toward the end and didn’t realize why until I got back to the dock and rinsed my gear...the hook got mangled by one of the bigger fish and was almost no longer a hook...lesson learnt...pay more attention to gear after a good fight :)
If I haven’t mentioned it before...I’m running much faster than most boats out there...I’m well over 45 degrees on the rigger lines...literally caught 2 fish right beside the same boat on two different occasions and I could see him shrugging to me as to why I’m hooking up and he isn’t...
Will definitely be out next weekend pending winds.
Cheers and tight lines till then...

Last edited:
Damn ...got out by 1 and could only find fish straight out in deeper water....
Nothing to the boat..single flashers
And hoochies

Epic Day at Thrasher today...
Fished 800am - 200pm
Water Depth 150-600
Rigger Depth 100-125
Spoons 3.5” and 6”
Couldn’t tell you how many I landed!
Was suppose to be three of us...ended up just being me solo...
Started off with nothing but shakers for the first hour...couldn’t get two rods down for thirty mins...was frustrating as I was fighting winds and was really annoyed with the small guys...come 930am i started bringing in some size and it stayed pretty consistent with 8lbs + for the majority of the day...biggest probably being near 13lbs...best fight of the day went to an under 8lber that I’m guessing got into the prop wash along with the current and took out 100yards and was a 5+ Min fight lol :)
Took one of our memebers advice (couple pages back, can’t recal their handle) and fished for over a third of the day with only a 6” spoon on one side with no flasher...boy was that fun...started losing lots of fish toward the end and didn’t realize why until I got back to the dock and rinsed my gear...the hook got mangled by one of the bigger fish and was almost no longer a hook...lesson learnt...pay more attention to gear after a good fight :)
If I haven’t mentioned it before...I’m running much faster than most boats out there...I’m well over 45 degrees on the rigger lines...literally caught 2 fish right beside the same boat on two different occasions and I could see him shrugging to me as to why I’m hooking up and he isn’t...
Will definitely be out next weekend pending winds.
Cheers and tight lines till then...
What weight of downriggers balls are you using?

Thrasher today 930-130...
Water 150 - 550
Riggers 105-130
Spoons
Beautiful day out there as many of you know :)
Was rather productive and from what I saw, I wasn’t the only one with success, saw many a boat hooking up.
Had my neice with me and helped her to reel in 3 beauties...smaller was around 10lbs and she brought in 2 twins in the teens; size has definitely gotten bigger...
Think we ended the day with 10 fish caught with 7 making it to the boat :)
On the way back we got to see some orcas to cap off a great day.
Happy Father’s Day to all and I’ll be out tomorrow from 1100-700; winds dying down around 11 they show...
Cheers and Tight Lines

Thrasher today 930-130...
Water 150 - 550
Riggers 105-130
Spoons
Beautiful day out there as many of you know :)
Was rather productive and from what I saw, I wasn’t the only one with success, saw many a boat hooking up.
Had my neice with me and helped her to reel in 3 beauties...smaller was around 10lbs and she brought in 2 twins in the teens; size has definitely gotten bigger...
Think we ended the day with 10 fish caught with 7 making it to the boat :)
On the way back we got to see some orcas to cap off a great day.
Happy Father’s Day to all and I’ll be out tomorrow from 1100-700; winds dying down around 11 they show...
Cheers and Tight Lines

Any coho ?

Any coho ?
Woke up early this morning or more like I woke up at the usual work day time. Had the lines down at Thrasher by 7am and immediately started hitting springs. Needed a change of pace so pulled up the lines ay 830am to catch a ling cod for the much better half and then moved to Grande to see what was going on there and immediately started hitting fish again including one that was mid twenties. Then went further out to the 600 to 1100 foot contours to try to find the coho and found absolutely nothing. Called it a day at 11am without any coho.

Other than the coho, which was a bust, it was an awesome morning and the fish had such great color.955C447D-E4AA-4A14-8EAB-209461CAEBA8.jpeg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back