2019 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
We generally try to stay mid July thru mid August however this year we had to come out a little earlier. We make a couple trips back home to drop off our possession limits so we can continue to fish and restock on supplies. We generally have a new group of family and or friends join us each week however this year we only had a single group join us. My wife, daughter and myself have caught our annually limits on Kings and Halibut and have a nice supply of Coho for the smoker as well as Ling Cod so are heading back home early.

We did our part for the local economy, final totals (USD), see you next year.

Fuel: $9,753.27

Moorage: $1050.00

Meals and cocktails: $1,523.00

Tackle / Bait / Ice: $748.73

Long Beach produced these last night, 3.5 inch nickel / green Coyote spoons 60 inches behind hot spot Green Stryper flashers between 67 and 77 feet deep. +

View attachment 46431

I’m sure the local economy will be sad to see you leave, that’s a hefty fuel bill for sure.

Went out for just an hour last night with a couple of visitors who'd never caught a Salmon. Was in front of Little Beach just before high tide. I took Islander30's advice and used Skinny G - herring aid lures. Big and small size worked. Released 2 nice size wild coho, a couple of shakers and kept a 10lbs Red Spring. Spring had a belly full of small anchovies and no squid.

Last edited:
Went out for just an hour last night with a couple of visitors who'd never caught a Salmon. Was in front of Little Beach just before high tide. I took Islander30's advice and used Skinny G - Anchovy Teaser lures. Big and small size worked. Released 2 nice size wild coho, a couple of shakers and kept a 10lbs Red Spring. Spring had a belly full of small anchovies and no squid.

I was using these....havn't tried the herring aid - anchovy teaser heads, if that's what you were using ?
Skinny-G-Herring-Aid.jpg

Any reports since the huge dump of rain we just had? Wondering if I should head out for an evening bite or wait till morning.

We fished ukee Monday thru Wednesday. Mostly at big bank. A few springers over the slot and a few under. Got into a coho bite, but the wilds to hatchery made for a lot of releasing. We found some willing Hali on the bounce and left a day early with the monsoon coming in yesterday.

Went out to Big Beach this morning in the thick fog and picked up 4 Springs (18lbs, 14lbs, 2 small keepers) and released a few shakers. Started getting bites on the Skinny G - Herring Aid, but then switched to anchovies which we got the bigger fish on. Surprisingly no coho at all. We were in about 150 to 160 ft of water and 90 to 120 ft on the downriggers.

Went out to Big Beach this morning in the thick fog and picked up 4 Springs (18lbs, 14lbs, 2 small keepers) and released a few shakers. Started getting bites on the Skinny G - Herring Aid, but then switched to anchovies which we got the bigger fish on. Surprisingly no coho at all. We were in about 150 to 160 ft of water and 90 to 120 ft on the downriggers.

Thanks for the report ! Interesting... Ive always been a hardcore anchovie user but found the Skinny G - Herring aid outfished my anchovies last year. Thinking maybe I better bring a package of anchovies when I'm back up next week though, after reading your report.....one thing I found with the Skinny G is they need a really long leader so the flasher isn't impeding their action....especially if trolling a little faster.

Last edited:
Tried for rats nose this morning but one of the ladies started turning green half way there so we spent the day at Austin and Cree. Too bad as it was an easy run offshore at 0530. It was a slow day inshore for us we picked up 2 wild coho and 1 nice 15 or 16# spring. Everything came on a skinny g herring aid at 45-65'. We actually got one ho right behind the boat while dropping gear and we had a few others take a run at gear at the side of the boat it would have been a great day to run a surface line in the prop wash. I had a bit of an inexperienced crew with me so we kept things simple.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back