2019 Ucluelet Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah was good this morning. Limited out in less than an hour with a double header to boot. Was working everywhere inside. We'll see what happens tomorrow. Apparently Orcas just swept through from little beach going North. Doh!

Last edited:
Here is the last morning video report from our last day.

Chinook Salmon Fishing Ucluelet British Columbia with Anchovies along the Lighthouse and Little Beach Shoreline. It was our last morning out fishing and we only had a few hours before check out. So we got out earlier than the previous days and stayed nice and close to the harbor. Only ten minutes from the dock we were at our starting point. Very few people were fishing this area since the weather had been so flat calm most people were heading to more distant locations leaving the lighthouse vacant. This was perfect for us and the Chinook were definitely on this morning. We saw a couple boats hook up right as we were getting our lines down. It wasn't long before we were also hooked up on a nice Chinook. Then we saw a boat hook up on a double header right beside us. A few minutes later after changing bait it was our turn for a double header. We finished the morning off with one more spring that came off with a little flip of his jaw beside the boat. Sorry for a few blurry sections. I think I have to teach my dad how to focus a camera next time we are out. What an excellent way to end a trip. A few hours later after packing up we went out with the girls and the bite had totally turned off. Not even a sniff in the same area. Oh well that is fishing and our coolers were full and packed up. I will have more videos from the trip coming. Just have to get around to editing. We had amazing weather, calm seas!!! Get out there, the Chinook fishing this year is unreal!!!

Great video Fishdoc, love the underwater stuff....I have had hits I've suspected the fish hit the flasher but sure cool to see it actually happen... as well I've had fish run into my line and even downrigger line when fishing the inlet on years when they are thick in there ! It's a strange thing to see the downriggers bounce like you've hit bottom but you know it's no where near bottom !

Last edited:
Reactions: NAD
Great video Fishdoc, love the underwater stuff....I have had hits I've suspected the fish hit the flasher but sure cool to sit it actually happen... as well I've had fish run into my line and even downrigger line when fishing the inlet on years when they are thick in there ! It's a strange thing to see the downriggers bounce like you've hit bottom but you know it's no where near bottom !

Very interesting! Yeah crazy to actually see it on camera. Like why would a fish hit a flasher, maybe theyre just aggresive and trying to chase other salmon off their area. I have had fish run into the line before too, that is a crazy feeling when they are between you and the flasher.

Was at Wya again at first light. Lots of boats and everyone getting hook ups. We lost 6 good fish after some great fights. Opposite from yesterday with no lost fish and limited out in an hour. Same gear etc. Guess we just had less luck today. At least we got one 18# in the boat before running out of bait and bite turned off.

We were using anchovies in teaser heads about 15 to 20ft back from the clip. No flasher on the lines. Dumby flasher on the ball. 60 to 70 ft down in 80 to 90 fow.

Last trip starts Thursday am. Keep the reports coming, please. I'll try to reciprocate. I'm thinking a day in Barkley, one offshore, and one Ukee to Flo. Not my call though.

Here is the last morning video report from our last day.

Chinook Salmon Fishing Ucluelet British Columbia with Anchovies along the Lighthouse and Little Beach Shoreline. It was our last morning out fishing and we only had a few hours before check out. So we got out earlier than the previous days and stayed nice and close to the harbor. Only ten minutes from the dock we were at our starting point. Very few people were fishing this area since the weather had been so flat calm most people were heading to more distant locations leaving the lighthouse vacant. This was perfect for us and the Chinook were definitely on this morning. We saw a couple boats hook up right as we were getting our lines down. It wasn't long before we were also hooked up on a nice Chinook. Then we saw a boat hook up on a double header right beside us. A few minutes later after changing bait it was our turn for a double header. We finished the morning off with one more spring that came off with a little flip of his jaw beside the boat. Sorry for a few blurry sections. I think I have to teach my dad how to focus a camera next time we are out. What an excellent way to end a trip. A few hours later after packing up we went out with the girls and the bite had totally turned off. Not even a sniff in the same area. Oh well that is fishing and our coolers were full and packed up. I will have more videos from the trip coming. Just have to get around to editing. We had amazing weather, calm seas!!! Get out there, the Chinook fishing this year is unreal!!!

Do you have a new boat, doesn't look like the one your were sockeye fishing in lats year?

Ran into a guy at the doc last night who went out to Big Bank on Sunday mid day with a crew of 4. They easily limited out on Chinook, coho and Hali. He said it was non stop action out there. The average Chinook looked to be smaller than the fish inshore, but sounds like it wasn't much work to get them.

Last edited:
Ran into a guy at the doc last night who went out to Big Bank on Sunday mid day with a crew of 4. They easily limited out on Chinook, coho and Hali. He said it was non stop action out there. The average Chinook looked to be smaller than the fish inshore, but sounds like it wasn't much work to get them.
Thanks, yes a hali or two for the 3 of us would be the goal of heading out. Swell will be smaller Friday than Thur looks like.

For the Hali he was trolling large hoochies on the bottom. One was white and the other was kind of brown with gold.

Do you have a new boat, doesn't look like the one your were sockeye fishing in lats year?
No, same boat I had before but didnt run it last year because the Mercury Optimax I bought it with in 2016 Optifailed a few to many times. So didnt use it last year. Saved my pennies and bouth a new 150 4 stroke and it is an amazing upgrade. So much more power out of the hole.

So last year the big boat sat and my little 16 footer backup boat got a lot of use out there. It feels a little neglected this year.

Just finished three full days. Overall lots of fish most places. Mainly fished Wya and it was really hot once it turns on. Most fish anchovy big glow hoochy. Spend hours inn saturday at SWCorner for nothing. Went out to Big Bank Sun and limitednof everything g. Had to battle through a pile of cohos to get our springs. Most on anchovy and herring aid wee g. Jigged for halibut at Big bank and limited out quickly.

Chubbing. Trying to squeeze all the tackle I haul around on my boat into a suitable container for fishing on someone else's boat. Lots of the players are going to suffer damaged self-esteem while waiting for next year in the garage.

just back from a few days at Ukee. Made it to the Rats, on sun, pancake flat calm and sunny, easily got our hali limit, tossed in 4 decent springs all scraping bottom, . A salmon shark hit our spoon going out and game on...snagged his tail, over 4ft long.....got spoon back.....Was not trying for coho. Discovered massive patch half way back of feeding birds with Harvey the humpback, stopped picked up 3 hatch coho…
munday, the orcas rolled thru and WYA went cold , went back to lighthouse bank, got a couple of halis and 2 springs, tues tried WYA agin for afternoon tide change,
bit came on and multiple boats all had decent fish on in waves for several hours. ….. worn out but elated..... springs seem to come in waves now along waterfront... Saw fish caught from lighthouse all the way up to way..
caught fish on white squids, and chovies 34 ft...

Last edited:
Hey sea dog 19. I too was out at rats nose on Sunday. We had a hard time getting our springs as too many cohoe hitting. For the halibut were you trolling or jigging. If trolling how deep in the downriggers? Thanks

Anyone been out lately? Was gonna head out this afternoon before the swell picks up. Wondering if the Chinook are still thick by Little Beach.

we dragged the cannon balls along the bottom looking for hali's and got halis and springs trolling. down to bottom and back up 2ft.
We did this today at Big Bank. Got the halis, but only two good chinooks. Quite a few small chinooks and only a few wild coho, no clipped. The pros were mostly just doing halis there and then leaving for Wya.

The pros were mostly just doing halis there and then leaving for Wya.

Is Wya still producing ? I'm back up middle of next week, trying to decide if I fish Wya/Little beach or over to Swale/Harbour Entrance areas, maybe Pill...from reports it seems it has slowed down inside ?

Last edited:
Is Wya still producing ? I'm back up middle of next week, trying to decide if I fish Wya/Little beach or over to Swale/Harbour entrance areas or maybe Pill...from reports it seems off and on over there ?

Appreciate any reports when you get there mid week. We will be there next weekend. Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back