2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you ever had any luck with the hali in sidney?
We hit our yearly limit off Darcy two years ago. Have put about 60 hours on the pic at the same spot since then. Nothing yet.....
We’ve been burning out to constance and filling the freezer there.

Damn sad to hear the poor reports it’s been a few years since I’ve tried that way but almost always caught something.

It makes me wonder if the reason Hali numbers seem so low is because of a massive population of dogfish eating all the food down there

Same thing out in haro. Anchored up for hali and it was dog after dog. Constant double headers... on each side of the boat.

Pain in the butt using tandem hooks when the dogfish fight over the bait and you have to haul them up two at a time. They were even hitting the unbaited rubbers.

Tried trolling for coho way out there but nothing.

Stopped on the way in and scratched up a nice spring. Didn’t come home with much though, considering I put in a full shift.

Same thing out in haro. Anchored up for hali and it was dog after dog. Constant double headers... on each side of the boat.

Pain in the butt using tandem hooks when the dogfish fight over the bait and you have to haul them up two at a time. They were even hitting the unbaited rubbers.

Tried trolling for coho way out there but nothing.

Stopped on the way in and scratched up a nice spring. Didn’t come home with much though, considering I put in a full shift.
Have you tried circle hooks? I found I cut my dogfish hookups in half using 10@‘s and smaller bait size

Interesting fishing report from Island Outfitters:

Sidney

This past week in Sidney, the salmon fishing has been GOOD for anglers both trolling and jigging. There has been a lot of smaller fish in Sidney lately but there has also been reports of the odd mature spring around. Fishing in 60'-100' of water has been productive for those fishing in Sidney.
Suggested spoons are Coho Killers, Gibbs Skinny G and Wee G spoons and AP Tackleworks Sandlance spoons. Suggested colours are Cop Car and Trap Shack. Anchovies and Tiny Strip were also good in Glow or UV Purple teaser heads.

Wondering whether it is reliable? Sidney outperformed Oak Bay in past week? lol...;);)

Was out yesterday and we picked up two around 7-8lbs and lost one 10-12lbs. Powder wharf. One of the fish was a mature male still bright, could of passed as a winter spring.

Spent an hour at Fairfax on Sunday, lots of bait but no hits. Have heard coho are showing up south of the pender bluff closure

Do we have some bait shops in Sidney to sale frozen anchovy? I searched online, and no lucky. Thank you very much:)

Yep, I get nice ones from home hardware. If you join Sidney anglers association you get 10% off store wide.
The freezer is up front by the tills

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back