2019 Sidney Reports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nothing of importance biting at Coal yesterday. I didn’t have enough time or gas to get to Pender.

Marked TONS of bait though and landed a double header of 4 pound jacks

Last edited:
Yes. I caught three coho at south pender from 7am to 2pm yesterday. However, all of them were wild, no keeper. Sad:(
I tried it out today. Used anchovies and tried a coho killer with no luck. Fished around the bay and outskirts of the no go zone. Didnt spot much. I was out crusing around and was marking a ton of fish at saltspring. I know there is a no chinook retention over there. What about coho. Theres gotta be some hanging around over there

I tried it out today. Used anchovies and tried a coho killer with no luck. Fished around the bay and outskirts of the no go zone. Didnt spot much. I was out crusing around and was marking a ton of fish at saltspring. I know there is a no chinook retention over there. What about coho. Theres gotta be some hanging around over there
My understanding is that hatchery coho is open, while the wild is closed for all the area 18. check link http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s18-eng.html#18_3904

Took the boat out for a post repair shakedown cruise and it was so nice I decided to wash some lures. Tried Coal and the Powder wharf but no sign of life at either. Didn’t mark much bait in either place as well.

I went out fishing today. Pulled my prawn traps and then wanted to try out my new rod and reels. Went over to Pender Bluff since it was open starting today. Caught two shakers that's about it. I wonder if there are any fish out there?

I went out fishing today. Pulled my prawn traps and then wanted to try out my new rod and reels. Went over to Pender Bluff since it was open starting today. Caught two shakers that's about it. I wonder if there are any fish out there?
Likely not. That’s why we’re getting the openings.

If this weather keeps up, I’ll fire it up next week and see what I can dig up

So I fished south saltspring across from the ferries today. Caught a couple 10 inchers. One of them managed to pop the clip and got me excited. There were some really nice bait balls around there with some fish feeding on it. Was running spoons but I might try some anchovies next time. I feel like if a fish is going to eat they'll strike that first. That's just me trying to think like a hungry fish. Got a good haul of prawns this weekend though!

Also, if anyone knows a spot I could have a decent shot at hooking into a halibut. Ive never caught one yet and have tried a few times. Using salmon belly on a glow hoochie with a circle hook attached to a spreader bar.
Pm me if you would like to help me with a spot. I wont give it away! Tips appreciated!

Also, if anyone knows a spot I could have a decent shot at hooking into a halibut. Ive never caught one yet and have tried a few times. Using salmon belly on a glow hoochie with a circle hook attached to a spreader bar.
Pm me if you would like to help me with a spot. I wont give it away! Tips appreciated!

when it comes to halibut, there is really no secret spot.
Just look where the guides are in March.
Sidney halibut fishing has been very slow, to dead for the last two years.
the East side of zero rock in about 200' plus of water always WAS a good producer.
South of Kelp Reef, same depth
The drop off east side of Cordova Bay 220' all the way almost to Chatham.
South End of Middle Bank
South of Discovery again on the drop off all the way to Constance.
Both ends and south side of Constance
Border Bank (Coyote Bank)
the Mud Hole and area straight out from Pedder Bay perhaps in 300'
and east of the Race.
That pretty much covers it all except for Sooke and West of where it has been better.
If you see a guide boat, no need to fish right on his tail!!!! . You will have found the general area
And as far as secret spots...I don't know where they are.
Gravel, pinnacles, sand, mud bottoms..they have all worked for me from time to time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back