2019 Fraser Chinook Management Actions UPDATED!!

Option B obvioulsy looks more appealing from an anglers perspective, but with a 1 fish/day limit I worry people will be literally throwing back a lot of perfectly good fish to find "a keeper" :mad::mad:

Bottomfish will take a shitkicking if option A is chosen, and even during the 1/day restriction last year I noticed more guests wanted to target them.

Is commercial fishing even a profitable thing these days? Seems like a zero-sum game aside from the slaughter of course.

I think the rec limits for salmon are too generous. The fact that each licence holder can kill 30 chinooks a year is crazy!
"But Im the only fisherman in my family and my children refuse to eat anything but salmon!"
If somehow 30 chinooks wouldnt feed a normal family for atleast a year, you could always take them with you, let them experience something new and unique to our area, and if theyre not old enough to come fishing then theyre probably not eating that much salmon to begin with.

Everybody has to make concessions if we are serious about the preservation of these fish!

I agree with everything you say, including the concessions. But I think we need to take a much broader perspective and approach to this problem. See my post just a few before yours.

Option B obvioulsy looks more appealing from an anglers perspective, but with a 1 fish/day limit I worry people will be literally throwing back a lot of perfectly good fish to find "a keeper" :mad::mad:

Bottomfish will take a shitkicking if option A is chosen, and even during the 1/day restriction last year I noticed more guests wanted to target them.

Is commercial fishing even a profitable thing these days? Seems like a zero-sum game aside from the slaughter of course.

I think the rec limits for salmon are too generous. The fact that each licence holder can kill 30 chinooks a year is crazy!
"But Im the only fisherman in my family and my children refuse to eat anything but salmon!"
If somehow 30 chinooks wouldnt feed a normal family for atleast a year, you could always take them with you, let them experience something new and unique to our area, and if theyre not old enough to come fishing then theyre probably not eating that much salmon to begin with.

Everybody has to make concessions if we are serious about the preservation of these fish!

The annual limit has to get below 6 fish to start to make a difference. Think this was discussed in 2017

Why?? So we can fill more nets? There is a giant pink elephant in the room.

Option A limits the nets option b is same regulations for fsc as 2018.

It’s the giant elephant for sure but Supreme Court mandated.

Now another question should be is how many chinook got caught in commercial sockeye nets and how did that effect returns.

Believe there is a bubble Graph of various Chinook runs and where each is intercepted by each fishery. Should post that. Some pretty big circles for fn fisheries.

Guess u should tell a judge that maybe that’s what it’s comming too for us

Let’s be clear, the other groups have also received this package and been asked for their opinions.

So, unless you get involved enough to write with your thoughts then they will not matter.

Guaranteed that the Greens are all over this and want to close the fishery

Believe there is a bubble Graph of various Chinook runs and where each is intercepted by each fishery. Should post that. Some pretty big circles for fn fisheries.

And that's just the few they count. Any one who actually believes that captures even a fraction of the actual fish taken or left to rot also believes in mermaids.

This is a difficult time for sure and we want people to be able to offer opinions and ideas. And, while venting can be cathartic, remember to keep it within the boundaries of the respect and etiquette expected here. Court decisions and rights have been established so reopening those conversations here will do little but cause a complete derail of the subject matter and inevitably lead to a politically charged finger pointing mess. No matter how we all got here, the truth is the resource is in trouble and if the politicos can't find a solution, maybe we can find ways to improve the situation by helping to create a bigger pie instead of trying to divide the last piece of what pie is left, until it is all gone. My 2 bits.

Brian

Unbelievable, if they go with option A pretty much every guide business on the island that rely's on chinook fishing in the spring and early summer will go out of business. well done dfo, managed to zero

Unbelievable, if they go with option A pretty much every guide business on the island that rely's on chinook fishing in the spring and early summer will go out of business. well done dfo, managed to zero

As I said in a previous post, look at how many salmon make it to the spawning beds. Over 80%. It is not DFO that is responsible for the disappearance of the Chinook. A lot more is going on and DFO is not responsible for it. We are.

As I said in a previous post, look at how many salmon make it to the spawning beds. Over 80%. It is not DFO that is responsible for the disappearance of the Chinook. A lot more is going on and DFO is not responsible for it. We are.

Certainly the easy thing to do is just say its all DFO, and I agree there is a lot of issues the Chinook are facing. DFO are stuck between a rock and a hard place as well, the courts have mandated certain rights for Native fisheries, while DFO has attempted to keep recreational and to certain extent commercial fisheries open, it has tied their hands as far as restricting FN fisheries. DFO is government, and government is us, and DFO mismangement for a long time is one of the issues the fish face, but not the only one to be sure.

The option A looks like a nuclear option. as Unreel says it would kill guiding and lodge operations from the North end of Vancouver island on down as the "highway" with its large numbers of Columbia fish would no longer be open. I wonder if it is proposed to give a sigh of relief when option B is implemented, and mitigate any outcry over the closures and increased restrictions on the south coast?

Last edited:
Certainly the easy thing to do is just say its all DFO, and I agree there is a lot of issues the Chinook are facing. DFO are stuck between a rock and a hard place as well, the courts have mandated certain rights for Native fisheries, while DFO has attempted to keep recreational and to certain extent commercial fisheries open, it has tied their hands as far as restricting FN fisheries. DFO is government, and government is us, and DFO mismangement for a long time is one of the issues the fish face, but not the only one to be sure.

The option A looks like a nuclear option. as Unreel says it would kill guiding and lodge operations from the North end of Vancouver island on down as the "highway" with its large numbers of Columbia fish would no longer be open. I wonder if it is proposed to give a sigh of relief when option B is implemented, and mitigate any outcry over the closures and increased restrictions on the south coast?

Option A will have quite a bit of support, ENGO”s will want it, many First Nations will want it as it’s close to zone zero management. Upper Fraser sports fishermen and some lower Fraser sports fishermen will support it. Also I think a lot of commercial fishermen will support it as many supported the SRKW closures.

I think we will end up with something close to Option B but we should not assume me will end up with it.

The easiest way to generate more
Pie the fastest is to kill seals and whales, whales are off the table. So that leaves seals.

All the other options, hatchery output and habitat enhancement is long term.

That all being said, I think the returns this year for chinook will be better then DFO thinks if their is no sockeye or pink fishery. Fraser chinook took a **** kicking in 2010 and 2014 and again in 2018. Netted from port Hardy to Adams river.

Last edited:
I'm sick at heart that it has finally come to this!! I don't see the calls for more hatcheries and net pens to feed the whales and provide the required fish for first nations! Just cut ,cut,cut of rec and commercial fisheries. This is not going to do it! We are probably only a few years away from nothing left to cut!! What then?? I know that some people don't like hatcheries but nobody seems willing to clean up the toxic soup the whales and salmon live in in the Salish sea. They aren't willing to stop growth along the Fraser and clean that up and perhaps lower water temps. Maybe the Feds should put their money where their mouth is and fund some hatcheries and net pens and do somet5hing positive for a change!

We all know this......there's a lot of human and environmental pressure on marine resources at this time. Its time to stay positive and work cooperatively and respectively with all fishery sectors if we want to stick handle our way out of this mess. Its time to look at "Everything" we are doing and be willing to compromise. We need governments and all the fishery sectors to work together to save the resource and improve it. No more finger pointing. Otherwise our grandchildren will not enjoy what we have today. Crunch time and time to get it right.

Back