The reason I ask, is that I believe that the slot is over, my hubby, thinks DFO should send a notice. Please set us straight, thanks!

The general rule of thumb is as Spring Velocity posted, however, I have experienced great Spring fishing at both Muir and Sheringham on the flood.
Sometimes the weed along the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Rock at Otter is so bad it is almost unfishable if there are a lot of boats.
You never know where you will find Springs...best to look for the bait!
One thing I would say, if you are looking for Springs,is do not just troll from Secretary to Sheringham.
Pickup and run if you are leaving Secretary, stop at Otter and ok to fish from Otter to Muir and on to Sheringham.
Don't pass up O'Brien Pt. up to the Trap Shack Reef and East.
If you want Pinks now thru the end of August, you can go pretty well anywhere on any tide off Sooke!
For what it's worth, that's what I have learned from over 40 years of fishing these waters and yes Spring Fishing is nowhere close to what it used to be, but you can still get some nice fish!
Thx for your post, Fogged In. I am thinking that maybe it is the time of year that makes a difference too. Certainly Muir is packed with boats in August, even on a flood, but yesterday it was so deserted I can only assume because it was mid-July folks knew there would be no springs there. Certainly weren't for us!
Yes, never done the Secretary to Sheringham thing but have come back Sheringham to Otter. Sheringham and Muir have been far better to us than Otter in the past; but that is just us I suppose!

As stated above some areas fish better most of the time on certain tides or portions of certain tides. However, I will fish a spot on either tide if I can have it to myself or close to it. And the statement about doing a long troll for springs is true to a point. Start with a search or longer troll of an area, like Otter Point for an example....to find the fish. If you don't hit any then watch for others that do...then pound that spot until you get into them too. On the weekend the fish were in specific spots and once I had action I stayed on that spot and made multiple passes over it....having no other boats around made it much easier. I was almost just doing circles to go back and forth over where the fish were laying. For some it may be boring to just go back and forth over a tiny area...but that is how you get from 1 fish a trip to 4-5-6 or more.
Interesting Profisher. I agree about looking for a spot with few boats. I do not like Otter for that reason. On Monday we saw one of the four boats at Sheringham catch two off the lighthouse. Not big; maybe 10 and 8lbs. We too circled that spot like you describe doing, but nothing happened so we must have had the wrong depth or something. So we went back to trolling west of the light and back but to no avail. This was partly because all of our limited success in the past has been west of the light. Only ever caught one spring right at the light.
Pounding one spot is great if you know that is the spot And you do know! As yet, we do not.......:)

Hey all. Been away for a bit, back with a new ride and looking forward to sharing what info i can.
Solid early AM today off Beachy Head! First fish at first light out front of Aldridge and then it went off at the Head just after sunrise for a good 45 min. Lots of nets out and a few boats heading in with limits by 6 AM. 41, 49 and 59 ft anchovy was the trick for me today. 15 to 18 lb springs, no monsters but great action for a while there...
Is it my imagination or are the pinks bigger than usual? I had a couple that seemed pretty big compared to previous years.

Englishman...The spot you pound is the spot you hit a fish. It is not always the same spot as fish do swim. One day they may be holding to the west of the light where the ebb's back eddy fans out and is no longer a defined line. Other days the fish are holding on the edge of the defined back eddy line between the west end and the light. Often they are in tight on that line right at the rock just like they would be in a river. Don't assume they will be where you want them to be...they are where you or someone else finds them.

Hey all. Been away for a bit, back with a new ride and looking forward to sharing what info i can.
Solid early AM today off Beachy Head! First fish at first light out front of Aldridge and then it went off at the Head just after sunrise for a good 45 min. Lots of nets out and a few boats heading in with limits by 6 AM. 41, 49 and 59 ft anchovy was the trick for me today. 15 to 18 lb springs, no monsters but great action for a while there...
Is it my imagination or are the pinks bigger than usual? I had a couple that seemed pretty big compared to previous years.
Yep, the pinks are plenty big. They seem fatter to me, but could be my imagination too..........

The reason I ask, is that I believe that the slot is over, my hubby, thinks DFO should send a notice. Please set us straight, thanks!
Hi Xena,
They were over July 14 @ 23;59 hours so July 15th really. No new notice means no slot!

Further to FN0155 and FN0301, the Department will be managing fisheries based
on management zone 1 (i.e. returns to the Fraser below or equal to 45,000
chinook) for Fraser Spring 5-2 and Summer 5-2 chinook.

Effective Dates: 00:01 hours June 17, 2017 until 23:59 hours July 14, 2017

Waters: Subareas 19-1 to 19-4 and Subareas 20-4 to 20-7.

Management Measures: The daily limit is two (2) chinook which must be either:
-Wild or hatchery-marked if between 45 and 85cm.
-Hatchery marked if greater than 85 cm.

The minimum size limit for chinook salmon in these waters is 45 cm.

Get out there folks, Renfrew had a run of big fish come through in the last week and they should be heading your way. Hopefully the phucking seals follow them too :(

Because of major work on the boat, slot depression, and wind we finally got out Monday and Tuesday for the first Sooke fishing of the season on our boat just off the harbour. Targeted Chinook and nothing large but we hooked up a lot. We were all excited about Profisher’s reports of catching tyee class fish and perhaps we will have to go west and see where he is fishing- grin. For us the Chinook were either in the 2.5 to 4.5 lb range, mostly clipped and a number over 45 cm so you could keep them if they were badly hooked, or they were in the 9 to 11 lb range. Our biggest was an 11 lb red on Monday and an 11.2 lb white on Tuesday. Got all of them on Plastic. Did not go looking for Pinks at all but picked up a few incidentally. Marked a few very large solid arches on the sounder, but none we could get to bite.
Saw lots of nets out, almost all on small salmon and the odd report on the radio of some bigger ones caught, - 20lbs etc.

Took my brother and friends out today. As we rounded the spit he asked so have you been seeing the whales much this year? I look at him and say why does everyone ask and mention the whales...like do you want to jinx yourself...in a joking way. 3 minutes later on the radio...whales at the Head going west. I looked at him and glared......lol Went far west to get as much time as possible. Lost one between 25-28 at the boat, landed a couple small springs and pinks then the whales arrived. Knew one good fish was landed before we got there but saw no others caught. Managed a 15 pound chum towards the end of the day. Pound for pound a great battle with multiple runs. When it first came to the surface I said either a sockeye or chum and then after a better look I said to big for a sockeye.

Quiet for me, wasn't out. No bookings so pulled the boat and did the monthly maintenance.

Fished Sheringham 7am until 9:30. A small bite right at 9:30, a couple of boats picking up 10-12 lbers? Hubby got our first fish of the year, 11 lbs. Fun to finally catch something!! We were out Monday and Tuesday for 4 hrs each day, fished Possession/ Secretary and rode the flood to Beechy. Nada those days.

Around 10:30, I had a nice one on, made a couple of runs, felt decent, spat the hook Doh! A few minutes later, Hubby had a hog on, a couple of fast hard runs and then, it bit through the 40lb test!!! Arrgh!!!!!!!!!!! Picked up a couple of crabs on the way in, at least it was calm.........Great to net one, going into the smoker!! Xena.

3 for 4 at Shearingham Thursday. To 15 pounds, others 10 and 6, on anchovies. Lost estimated 22-25 pounder at boat at Muir.

Out this afternoon for 3 hours and it seemed pretty quiet. Maybe 20-25 boats out on a flat calm afternoon. Saw one boat loose one and a few pinks. We landed 2 pinks, tossed back a decent wild coho and then lost about a 15 pound spring at the boat just as we were about to pull up and go.

Back