Lots of folks out Sooke way are on 68. Fair bit of chatter but can be a little cryptic at times... "Hey Bob, picked one up at that spot where i saw you at last week with that rig we were talking about at my favorite depth..." lol
We text message instead, lol

As you can see from the post below your Rockfish/Silver Spring have success in the Possession/Secretary areas you speak of, but they are experts and the only ones I know of who commonly do. Three or four years ago there were a couple of guides who often used to fish there (but not at night) but now they all run west to parts unknown.
You could ask about the Trap for the night bite, but I don't know it and I also don't see many posts on here about the night bite there. Most folks around here seems to be early birds and only fish these areas in the morning......
The best days I've had this year have all been on the flood & south of otter on the night tacks. I know plenty of guides who clean up from the trap to cheanuh, lots of good fishing out that way!
Yes there is

Headed up to Otter yesterday from Victoria, we arrived just before Otter at about 6:30 and started to troll 1/4 k before the point and roll with the tide. As we reached the point we counted about 40 boats and decided to ride the tide and kicker up to the high side of Muir where there was about a half dozen boats.

Pretty quiet for us until about 9:30 ish ( tide change) before we had a few hits. Took out a friend who hasn't fished much, fish on, handed him the rod informing him it was a smaller one, turned out to be playing me, started to run. He gets it to about 15' back of the boat, nice high teenager, he relaxes the rod for a second, and then tries to recover, no go, hook and flasher come flying into the boat missing our heads by inches. We get a couple of shakers, and a 6-7lber wild coho. I'm in the front stearing the boat, my buddy is taking a leak, I can only see the one rod, when I hear the distinct sound of the line peeling, rod still in the rigger, with a fish on. Ran and grabbed the rod, fish was gone. Had to explain than when you're taking a leak, you'll need to keep an eye on all "3" rods!

Pretty quiet from 12:45 so we trolled back to Otter where there was a manageable 15 boats or so, and had to head back at about 2:30 with an empty cooler.

hi all, week prior to Consultants Derby skipper panic for next Saturday 29th out of the Prestige in Sooke, so just reaching out to anyone that isn't on our list as it looks like we will be short (note there are a few that have said they are available and you will be contacted beginning of week). Would be great to have a couple bigger boats, but anything over 17' works (don't want guests to get blown off water). You get free ticket to event ($75), can fish your own rod and win yourself, pre-party meal & free beer/wine if you want to attend that, main event at Prestige meal and beer included, guests help with your costs. Great charity event now in its 12th year. Available or standby would be greatly appreciated as we often have last minute boat blowups as well - just send me a PM. See http://consultantsinvitational.ca for details. thx

Last edited:
hi all, week prior to Consultants Derby skipper panic for next Saturday 29th out of the Prestige in Sooke, so just reaching out to anyone that isn't on our list as it looks like we will be short (note there are a few that have said they are available and you will be contacted beginning of week). Would be great to have a couple bigger boats, but anything over 17' works (don't want guests to get blown off water). You get free ticket to event ($75), can fish your own rod and win yourself, pre-party meal & free beer/wine if you want to attend that, main event at Prestige meal and beer included, guests help with your costs. Great charity event now in its 12th year. Available or standby would be greatly appreciated as we often have last minute boat blowups as well - just send me a PM. See www.consultantsinviational.ca for details. thx

Just fixed link.

http://consultantsinvitational.com/

A shockingly dead ocean out there. Not even pinks to be found in any noteworthy numbers. And where are the cohos? Found one teener spring on Sat near the head after long hours with nothing than the odd shaker. Today with putting lots of miles on the boat between Aldridge and Otter to find ANYTHING we hooked a couple pinks far out but couldn't even land them. A for this time of the year pathetic 6# spring saved the day! Cool whale shows everyday made up a bit.

A shockingly dead ocean out there. Not even pinks to be found in any noteworthy numbers. And where are the cohos? Found one teener spring on Sat near the head after long hours with nothing than the odd shaker. Today with putting lots of miles on the boat between Aldridge and Otter to find ANYTHING we hooked a couple pinks far out but couldn't even land them. A for this time of the year pathetic 6# spring saved the day! Cool whale shows everyday made up a bit.
Well Chris, you have explained why there have been so few posts of late. No fish it seems.!! We are going out with some visitors tomorrow anyway as weather looks good. But I shall tell them not to expect anything!!! LOL:)

Went west today and managed 2 out of 3...17 and 9 pounds and a couple of pinks. Most action was just before the morning tide change. Had to put the cabin heat on this morning, cold wind.

Went west today and managed 2 out of 3...17 and 9 pounds and a couple of pinks. Most action was just before the morning tide change. Had to put the cabin heat on this morning, cold wind.
When you say went West do you go past Sheringham? Are there points along the shore before Renfrew? Anyone fish up at Sombrio?

Last edited:
When you say went West do you go past Sheringham? Are there points along the shore before Renfrew? Anyone fish up at Sombrio?

Out West means west of Sooke Harbour as opposed to Aldridge to the Trap
Sombrio can be a good spot for halibut. Some fish Springs there, but it's really an out of the way spot.
Not too many guys go past Sheringham, but you can fish all the way to Jordon River if you want to.
You won't catch any fish from you computer desk.
You need to get out there and figure it out for yourself!

Out West means west of Sooke Harbour as opposed to Aldridge to the Trap
Sombrio can be a good spot for halibut. Some fish Springs there, but it's really an out of the way spot.
Not too many guys go past Sheringham, but you can fish all the way to Jordon River if you want to.
You won't catch any fish from you computer desk.
You need to get out there and figure it out for yourself!
Thanks!!
Yeah can't wait to break away from this desk.

Fished 6am to about 230 today from race rocks back eddy to whirl to bedford to aldridge through to secretary and back to aldridge. One bite. A small shaker. Nobody catching other than shakers. No pinks either. Some bait around trap reef and tidelines, but river of bait down 250-300 out deep from race down tideline. Tried everything and depths 25 to 140. Stay home and let a new batch move in in a few dys

As BWD predicted it was a beautiful day on the water, so we took our visitors from Australia out.

Fished from 7:00am until 1:30pm at Muir and out in front of Otter.

However, as Chris73 and Nautigirl reported above it was unbelievably slow out there, if not dead. We had three bites in our 6.5 hour session, for three pinks on the line and only one in the boat.

August is usually our best month but if it does not pick up by then, summer 2017 will go down as a complete bust!!:(

Hooked a screamer on the west side of Otter at around 8 this morning. He fought hard, made several runs, but I ended up on a collision course with another boat, so I grabbed the wheel to adjust, and that was it, my fish was gone! Using anchovy, 60 ft down in 150 ft of water. Nothing but shakers for the rest of the day. I even went way out looking for pinks and found nothing.

Well, looks like I was the exception today!
Started at first light at Aldridge, first spring at 6 off the head. 12 lbs. Headed to the trap and picked up a big pink and a nice hatch coho. There was a TON of crap in the water making it hard to keep the lines clean so back to the head for another spring at around 9 oclock. Real fighter, 18 lbs. 69 feet, anchovy in green glow teaser head was the ticket.
Smoker is gonna get a workout....

salmon 1.jpg salmon 2.jpg We finally had some luck too! My first fish of note in about a year.......... Off Otter, 11:30 after 5 hours of nothing, then I got two pinks, and an amazing scrappy 20 lber!! My hubby felt left out so he had to get one the same size. Beauty day on the water, much nicer with some fish in the box!! Xena

Well done Xena, you and the hubby are dialed in,, nice to see.

Thanks! Feels good to bring home some slabs!! Going to be busy tomorrow, smoking and canning............good feeling. Xena

Back