Had some action today, 3 springs 8-12lbs (tailed and released), handful of pinks screwing with my gear. Saw quite a few nets out but nothing serious looking. Good too see some decent fishing. She was like a parking lot out there today.

Worked the 5-11:30 shift today. Picked up one right off the get go at Aldridge at good old 69ft. Picked up a second at the Trap at 105ft both on a small gold spoon. First fish about 10lbs and the second about 15lbs. Couple other hits on bait, but nothing would stick. Nice day out there.

Fished Possession this morning, lost one smaller spring around 7 am and managed a 20 lb just after 8 am, fought like a piece of kelp until it was 6' from the boat. It was a red. Got in to the pinks just off Secretary but only managed to get one in the boat. anchovie was the only thing getting attention for us. All fish in the 50' - 70' depth.

20170717_132251.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful day for the weather out there today. Still hot and no wind when we packed up at 2:15pm!!

We went down to Sheringham and got a hit right off the bat at 7:00am but it was “only” a pink. Persevered with Sheringham for three hours at various depths using herring and anchovy but only managed one little 4lb Chinook.

Gave up on close in and went out to 250’ with a pink hootchie and picked up a couple more pinks and a small hatchery coho. Trolled back through Muir, running the gauntlet of the armada of crab traps at the western end and got yet another pink. The pinks are nice short fat guys of 6-7lb average, which is just as well since once again summer chinook are proving extremely elusive for us.

My hat goes off to the ordinary recreational guys on here that seem to get three or four chinook a trip.

And as for Profisher, his recent catches are truly awesome and something this mere mortal can only marvel at!

Beautiful day for the weather out there today. Still hot and no wind when we packed up at 2:15pm!!

We went down to Sheringham and got a hit right off the bat at 7:00am but it was “only” a pink. Persevered with Sheringham for three hours at various depths using herring and anchovy but only managed one little 4lb Chinook.

Gave up on close in and went out to 250’ with a pink hootchie and picked up a couple more pinks and a small hatchery coho. Trolled back through Muir, running the gauntlet of the armada of crab traps at the western end and got yet another pink. The pinks are nice short fat guys of 6-7lb average, which is just as well since once again summer chinook are proving extremely elusive for us.

My hat goes off to the ordinary recreational guys on here that seem to get three or four chinook a trip.

And as for Profisher, his recent catches are truly awesome and something this mere mortal can only marvel at!

That sucks I see your still having problems, and still in the slump. Have you thought of trying the east more for a change?

It was a beauty day out there with calm water and sunny skies. The fishing was good too. The all morning flood was a tad slow but just before the change and the first couple of hours of the ebb were very good. Nothing big today but 7 nice springs and a couple of pinks in the tub. Started the morning in the crowd at Otter and moved after 3-4 passes and not much happening. Went west and waited for something to happen and enjoyed the wait with only 4-5 other boats.

Attachments

• aaaaaa - Copy.JPG
    aaaaaa - Copy.JPG
    208.4 KB · Views: 116
Otter point today couldn't keep them off. Burned through 2 packs of bait in 4 hours. Got my 6 year old daughter her first fish a nice 5lb pink!
can you be more specific
Are we talking PINKS or Springs and how big?
congrats to your daughter

can you be more specific
Are we talking PINKS or Springs and how big?
congrats to your daughter
Pinks. Saw some springs caught but I could barely keep my rods down while the bite was on. Also ran an hour with no hook on a no bananas skinny g lol that lure has taken a beating this year. Any where from 18ft to 75, got 2 on my bottom rod while stacking. Took 5 home which I was impressed with my kids working the rods/ net and my mom driving

Pinks. Saw some springs caught but I could barely keep my rods down while the bite was on. Also ran an hour with no hook on a no bananas skinny g lol that lure has taken a beating this year. Any where from 18ft to 75, got 2 on my bottom rod while stacking. Took 5 home which I was impressed with my kids working the rods/ net and my mom driving

thanks for the clarification Jama
Fishing with mom and the kids
what a great outing!!

That sucks I see your still having problems, and still in the slump. Have you thought of trying the east more for a change?
Yes, we sometimes go east and sometimes west. The trouble with east is there are far to many boats. The Trap and the Head are always a zoo, with boats everywhere. Today there was only three other boats at Sheringham and for some reason almost no one at all was fishing Muir all morning. Usual a.m. crowd at Otter though, so mostly give that a miss.

Tons of boats taking advantage of the weather today around the trap shack and Beechy Head but didn't see many nets out. We stayed in close hugging the shore and picked up 3 hatchery chinook and had a few that didn't stick. Nothing over 10 lbs and all caught on Nasty Boy Coyote spoon @60'.

Couple decent springs so far this week. 15lb Sunday afternoon and a 17lb early morning pre work today. Green chrome is starting to become my new favorite teaser for sure. Both fish were loaded with what looked to me like 2" herring.

Looks like he's responding to a thread on pinks ?
Yes, we sometimes go east and sometimes west. The trouble with east is there are far to many boats. The Trap and the Head are always a zoo, with boats everywhere. Today there was only three other boats at Sheringham and for some reason almost no one at all was fishing Muir all morning. Usual a.m. crowd at Otter though, so mostly give that a miss.

There were zero boats at Muir and Sheringham because time your dropped in there you were fishing a flood current. That's probably why you saw everyone around Otter and the beach. I would pay attention to what boats are doing and why, and you will hopefully figure it out. Certain areas fish in different currents as you know. Unfortunately this time of year if you want to get into something you are going to need to get used fishing busy areas. Personally I wouldn't limit myself to west all the time but that is just me. Good Luck.

There were zero boats at Muir and Sheringham because time your dropped in there you were fishing a flood current. That's probably why you saw everyone around Otter and the beach. I would pay attention to what boats are doing and why, and you will hopefully figure it out. Certain areas fish in different currents as you know. Unfortunately this time of year if you want to get into something you are going to need to get used fishing busy areas. Personally I wouldn't limit myself to west all the time but that is just me. Good Luck.

The general rule of thumb is as Spring Velocity posted, however, I have experienced great Spring fishing at both Muir and Sheringham on the flood.
Sometimes the weed along the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Rock at Otter is so bad it is almost unfishable if there are a lot of boats.
You never know where you will find Springs...best to look for the bait!
One thing I would say, if you are looking for Springs,is do not just troll from Secretary to Sheringham.
Pickup and run if you are leaving Secretary, stop at Otter and ok to fish from Otter to Muir and on to Sheringham.
Don't pass up O'Brien Pt. up to the Trap Shack Reef and East.
If you want Pinks now thru the end of August, you can go pretty well anywhere on any tide off Sooke!
For what it's worth, that's what I have learned from over 40 years of fishing these waters and yes Spring Fishing is nowhere close to what it used to be, but you can still get some nice fish!

Pinks are definitely in HAD no problem getting them,.
a few springs are there but have to get past the pinks...

so, just to clarify, the slot is over? no notice but the effective date has expired. WHY DOESN'T DFO MAKE IT EASIER?

As stated above some areas fish better most of the time on certain tides or portions of certain tides. However, I will fish a spot on either tide if I can have it to myself or close to it. And the statement about doing a long troll for springs is true to a point. Start with a search or longer troll of an area, like Otter Point for an example....to find the fish. If you don't hit any then watch for others that do...then pound that spot until you get into them too. On the weekend the fish were in specific spots and once I had action I stayed on that spot and made multiple passes over it....having no other boats around made it much easier. I was almost just doing circles to go back and forth over where the fish were laying. For some it may be boring to just go back and forth over a tiny area...but that is how you get from 1 fish a trip to 4-5-6 or more.

Back