Status
Not open for further replies.
Happy New Year...Has anyone been out, looking for fishing report....See you out there.

Been out today 12.30 to 3. Started Otter point at 100-120 feet and almost the same on dr. Got 5 fish about 45-55cm long. Some shakers as well. Kept 2 for bbq. stopped on the way back at bluffs for 30 min. Managed to get another one around 45 cm and let it go.
Couldn’t find decent size but better than nothing

Was stupid enough to go out today with the winds and waves. Went to whirl bay and surprisingly saw a few other boats out there in the rain/wind dropped lines and got a double header within a few minutes but they were small so released. Fished in the wind/current/rain and managed to get several good bites but got our gear tangled a few times due to crazy currents.

Largest was just under 9lbs. We were running sinny G and AP spoons. As per winter fishing tactics fish near the bottom. Started with lines down at around 12 and up lines around 2pm, slogged through the waves bouncing all the way back. Still fun and my 6 year old brought in 2 fish. I wimped out and ran the buddy heater today... so ashamed ... hahaha

Sorry, not a report... traditionally when are springs allowed to be harvested in area 20-5 (other than inside beecher)?
End of April it gets shut down?

What months are you typically able to catch and retain Coho around pedder and sooke? Thanks in advance.

Fished the Sooke bluffs from 1130 to 3. Slowed to troll speed and watched a decent spring get air while chasing bait: good sign. Crazy hot bite to start in 105ft and lost a nice one at the boat plus 1 just legal. Then a pile of downrigger issues from broken swivel to pulled crimp to blown fuse plagued us. By the time we really got back to properly fishing around 1 could not produce anything more, not even a shaker.

Fished Whirl Bay from 9:30 to 12:30. 12-15 fish to the boat. Most in the 3-4 lb range. Kept one just over 5lbs. Cop car spoon on one side and skinny G on the other. Both produced. Just off the bottom in 120-130ft of water. Also caught a grey cod about 3-4lbs. First one I've ever caught while trolling in this area. Was gonna keep it as I love codfish but wasn't sure if I could or not, so back it went. 4 keeper crab in Pedder Bay on the way back. Great day on the water after not being out there in a while.

A Hali limit question. I picked up a chicken today (75cm) within 20 minutes on the hook so I pulled the pin thinking that I had my limit. Spoke to a guy at the dock and he said the limit each day is 2 if it's under 90cm. The last reg I saw said 1 per day and possession of two under 90cm which I take to mean, 2 in your possession under 90 on a 2 day trip for example. Am I wrong?

A Hali limit question. I picked up a chicken today (75cm) within 20 minutes on the hook so I pulled the pin thinking that I had my limit. Spoke to a guy at the dock and he said the limit each day is 2 if it's under 90cm. The last reg I saw said 1 per day and possession of two under 90cm which I take to mean, 2 in your possession under 90 on a 2 day trip for example. Am I wrong?
U are allowed 2 under 90cm

Attachments

• 68776BA2-9CF5-4473-8E91-FC928A57DA00.png
    68776BA2-9CF5-4473-8E91-FC928A57DA00.png
    142.4 KB · Views: 14

2 under 90. …tried to attach both imgages in my first reply

Attachments

• 5B307520-7696-4026-8C1B-0C2F7D977499.png
    5B307520-7696-4026-8C1B-0C2F7D977499.png
    180.3 KB · Views: 17
2 under 90. …tried to attach both imgages in my first reply
Thanks for your reply. I'm easily confused when it comes to the Regs so with your comment of 2 under 90 are you saying that's what it is "per day" or that's your possession limit? There are not one and the same. Just want to clarify as I'm hoping to get out a few times next week.

Copied below is from the general info online. Daily Limit is 1 per day so in your attachment it would be 1 per day not 2 per day if they are under 90cm. The two per day if under 90 comes into play as a possession limit as in a two day trip. I read this as saying that you can't have two under 90 on a one day trip if the daily limit is one.
  • (d) Daily limit: The maximum number of a given fish species that a person is allowed to keep in one day.
  • (p) Possession limit: The maximum number of fish you can have in your possession at any given time, except for what is at your ordinary residence.

This was the last notice that I had received.

Effective at 00:01 hours February 1, 2023 until March 31, 2023:

The daily limit is one (1) halibut per day.

The possession limit for halibut is EITHER of:

---- one (1) halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off),

OR

---- two (2) halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

This wording is different from last year starting April 1st
The daily and possession limit for Halibut is EITHER of:
---- one (1) Halibut measuring 90 cm to 133 cm in length (69 cm to 102 cm head-off),
OR
---- two (2) Halibut, each measuring under 90 cm in length (69 cm head-off).

Didn't get out today. Yesterday was sloppy fished the navy can for an hour released 3 unders. Kept 7 between Thursday and Friday. Largest was 8lb. All but 2 on bait. Interesting nothing much in the stomachs. One fish was full of tiny shrimps others had small needle fish or something similar.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back