2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went out Friday night with the kids one bite, one fish, took a couple nice runs, after a quick measure and re measure we boated a nice 84cm wild. On a apsandlance spoon, right off the flag pole. So nice to get a fish right under That slot limit, it would have hurt to throw it back.

Attachments

• image (1).jpg
    image (1).jpg
    344.1 KB · Views: 76
Spent the morning trolling the waterfront. Couple hours between macaulay and the flag pole, nothing. Went over to albert head. Nothing but dogfish!

Picked up a small teener in front of MacAuley at noon. One hit was it. That was the only fish I saw all day.

With the salmon fishing spotty, and the halibut tides happening, I went halibut fishing. I should mention I planned on being on the water before 6am, but I was out at #beonthebarge ( the breakwater barge with live bands, booze and food trucks at Ogden point every Friday night) { a little plug there for my wife who organizes it} I didn't get up until 6. By the time I sorted myself I didn't arrive out at Constance until 7:30. There must have been about 4-6 humpbacks out there today. I got my two rods set up and started fishing. About 45 min later, The Coho just happened to pass through the fishing grounds, about 75 yards from where I was fishing. Well wouldn't you know it, as the waves hit, my rod went off. Nice size 36# in the boat. I caught it on a circle hook with 1/4 of a salmon head (20lber I caught last week) Since I was by myself, I was limited out, head to the bank for some salmon. Fished from 9:30- 1:00, nothing. Didn't see any nets out in that time there either.

I'm glad others were successful today. Fished from 630-10 back of discovery and 1030-1230 off oak bay shipping lanes for halibut, but just a couple dogs. Then trolled the flats from 1-3. No love. Very little bait and only saw 2 larger fish on the fish finder. Orcas went through oak bay at 1030

This might be a stupid question, but how come no one reports on ling or rockfish around vic? Do you guys not fish for them? Is there none around?

I live on the mainland and am just curious as were talking of moving to the island in the next little while.

Thanks!

There's lings, and rockfish. I think around SVI guys focus more on halibut because of the abundance of them

There are lings and rockfish if you know where to drop your line, most guys try to limit their rockfish bycatch because of their population issues. You can do this by fishing 10' off bottom and still attract lings, there are rockfish release devices available as well. I havn't caught large yelloweye in years around Vic. So I generally don't target rockfish but do keep them occasionally when caught as bycatch. I do target them when young children are involved as they are easy to catch and the right size for a child to bring up.

Jigged Friday/Saturday incoming slacks, no love, lots of jellies, minimal bait.
Looking out there now (great chain isl) , I see some obvious bait boiling, looks fishy:)

This is my first time to post some photos at this place.

We went out on Sunday morning and caught them near the Constance bank. My father caught the biggest one of the day, 122cm, around 52 lbs, it was our 18th catch since I started to learn how to fish for halibuts last Autumn.

Two of my best friends were on board as well. My fellow buddy caught a 30 pounder, and my neighbor caught a 11 pounder.

We also caught 4 ling cods(77cm to 85cm length) and 4 rockfish on our way back to Cattle Point, pulled up our crab traps with 15 keepers. Quite a nice day.
Cheers!
9b5cfd87gw1f5qvi0u3rjj21kw2tbe82.jpg
9b5cfd87gw1f5qw6jbuw8j21kw2tbx6q.jpg
9b5cfd87gw1f5qwdwrezbj21kw0vyh88.jpg
9b5cfd87gw1f5qwh7zudyj21kw2tbb2a.jpg

Last edited:
Dropped the pick for 6 hours this morning. Good solid dogfish action for hours. I even had a quadruple header on two rods. Finally around 11am I picked up a 30. IMG_00000422.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back