2016 Victoria waterfront and Oak Bay

Status
Not open for further replies.
some of the reporting appears to be ancient history Lew
thanks for the pics though

"April 15, 16 and May 1st. caught 2 each day"

Reminds me that the freezer is empty Lew, going to have to get out and decimate the dogfish population in order to bring up a Hali!

some of the reporting appears to be ancient history Lew
thanks for the pics though

"April 15, 16 and May 1st. caught 2 each day"

yep, I realized it's a little late for doing that. I should've post those reports earlier..yet it's still 2016, right?
hope you guys don't mind too much:)

Reminds me that the freezer is empty Lew, going to have to get out and decimate the dogfish population in order to bring up a Hali!
Yeah, there were quite a few dogfish messed up our baits on Sunday. We released about 4 or 5 of them, and then the halis started taking the bites.
I'm still wondering if it's legal to kill those dogfish and throw them back to the water...

I'm not sure about legalities...maybe someone else can chime in? I've always found that a large portion of the dogfish I catch wind up being floaters after release.

Yeah, there were quite a few dogfish messed up our baits on Sunday. We released about 4 or 5 of them, and then the halis started taking the bites.
I'm still wondering if it's legal to kill those dogfish and throw them back to the water...

My understanding is that it is illegal to intentionally kill any fish that you do not intend to consume. IMO the idea of killing any animal out of spite, either because they are a pain in the butt, or because of a perception that they compete for the resource, is philosophically flawed. DFO used to cut basking sharks in half with blades on the bows of their patrol boats because they wrecked nets, now they are so rare as to be a newsworthy sight in bc: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ing-shark-in-b-c-thrills-scientists-1.3618708. Dolly Varden were once the subject of a bounty because they preyed on salmon eggs, and now they are rare enough to be catch and release in most BC waters.

On a fishing trip as a young kid I saw a dogfish killed and thrown back in the water and that memory has stuck with me and unsettled me for a long time. That being said I probably unavoidably killed two this weekend that were hooked deeply (left the hook in one and removed from the other), but still, my two cents is that we should all do our best to release unharmed anything we don't need. Sorry for the non-report digression, but salmon fishing is slow enough in Vic right now that we almost need some filler! Tight lines.

My understanding is that it is illegal to intentionally kill any fish that you do not intend to consume. IMO the idea of killing any animal out of spite, either because they are a pain in the butt, or because of a perception that they compete for the resource, is philosophically flawed. DFO used to cut basking sharks in half with blades on the bows of their patrol boats because they wrecked nets, now they are so rare as to be a newsworthy sight in bc: http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...ing-shark-in-b-c-thrills-scientists-1.3618708. Dolly Varden were once the subject of a bounty because they preyed on salmon eggs, and now they are rare enough to be catch and release in most BC waters.

On a fishing trip as a young kid I saw a dogfish killed and thrown back in the water and that memory has stuck with me and unsettled me for a long time. That being said I probably unavoidably killed two this weekend that were hooked deeply (left the hook in one and removed from the other), but still, my two cents is that we should all do our best to release unharmed anything we don't need. Sorry for the non-report digression, but salmon fishing is slow enough in Vic right now that we almost need some filler! Tight lines.
Thanks for the information. It's good to know.
I don't kill dogfish very often, only if they were hurt badly just like you said: hook in their stomach or penetrated into their head, I would make it quick...no suffering

I'm not sure about legalities...maybe someone else can chime in? I've always found that a large portion of the dogfish I catch wind up being floaters after release.
Its never intentional, but I do find that there is a mortality rate when bringing up dogfish...back to reports.

I would hope DFO would give a little advance notice if we were not going back to the early Chinook regs.
But it is DFO and you won't know for sure until Sat. when no new notices show up...meaning they revert back to the limits before the special area stuff.
we live in hope....that's why we fish....eh

image.jpeg image.jpeg Late report from the weekend. Had a campsite booked at Pedder Bay so Thursday afternoon I motored the boat over there and dropped a crab trap then decided to drop the lines before my ride showed up. Didn't take long before rod goes off. Scrappy fish with lots of energy to fight,and no flasher made for a good battle. Netted a 14 lb wild. 97' on the rigger in 180' of water. AP herring spoon. Got the gear back in order and made another pass in the hookup zone and another fish was on. Same side. Same depth. Didn't pop the pin but once this fish got near the boat I could tell it was decent. Then it woke up and bolted. It took a long run, then came back to the boat. Netted this 18lb wild, measured, and was good to go. 83cm. Quick limit and my best solo salmon fishing I've had.

2 more short outings with my buddy and our little girls didn't produce big fish, but we didn't get skunked. A couple 5-6 lb fish at 77' and 99' in deeper water. One on AP herring and dummy, one on 3.5 king fisher army truck.

No legal crabs on the first 2 pulls, but our 3rd pull outside the bay was a good haul. 7 keepers. A couple were huge.

Fun times camping as well. Great weekend.

Only frustration was seeing all the poaching of ling and rockfish at the cleaning tables. Had to speak up once. Was called in but they still left with their tub of fish.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back