2016 Sooke Reports

Been a whack of killer whale activity latly and yes they have been feeding so I guess their is fish to be had, Its not that bad seems people are getting them in most spots......

Last edited:
My brother came out from Saskatchewan, took him out yesterday, we headed to the Trap. We did a good job of washing some lures. Didn't see much action at about 11:30ish headed to secretary, nothing going on there for us. Not much of a tide, so we headed to the trailer park area, to drift for some halibut. Hooked into a couple of dogfish. Called it a day off the water. Fished from 6:30-3:30.

Today, we made the decision to head to Muir, on the water fishing at 6:30-45ish. Watched a couple of other boats catch and net a couple fish. Then it was our turn, 8:45, fish on, reeled in a 21 lber. 11:20, hooked into a nice #17 lber. 10 minutes later, before we had taken the picture with the fish and placed it in the cooler, which was still laying in the boat at our feet, picked up a nice 7lb hatchery coho. Wind started coming up, headed back off the water at about 12:45.

DFO on the dock when we got back, all paperwork in order

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 88
Fished muir yesterday 7-2 to otter. Lots of boats but not much action. There was talk on the radio of transient whales attacking humpbacks at sherringhams? Seen a whale watching boat head that way. Anyone see anything?
We went out and watched them at 3 ish. No humpbacks, they were residents.

I was giving my brother a show who was out from sakatchewan.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    78.8 KB · Views: 55
Its not all doom and gloom if you pick the right day and the right spot. I think the fish took Sunday off as a get over the whales holiday...back in form for us today!!

Been a whack of killer whale activity latly and yes they have been feeding so I guess their is fish to be had, Its not that bad seems people are getting them in most spots......
A whack of Transients came through Saturday. Killed a porpoise off Sheringham, harassed a Humpback Calf. Today was Residents. Lots of foraging out deep. Anyone trying out there????

Out Teusday morn lines in 630 til noon beechy to secretary lots of boats saw a couple of nets out just one small one and a couple of shakers for us but hey any day on the water with no breakdowns great day

Out at Otter and Muir from 7:30 - 1:30. Lots of boats out for a Tuesday. We had 2 by 8am then nothing for rest of day. 7lb spring on bait and beauty 8lb hatch coho on old school tom mack spoon.

Back to more of a grind today but stuck in there and managed a 21 and a 15 in the last 1 1/2 hours of the trip. Lost one other earlier in the day. A few socks around too, let a 9-10 pound buck go today and 3 yesterday.

We returned to Muir on Tuesday, a bit of a chop getting there, luckily a nice big aluminum was heading to Otter at the same time so I tucked in behind and followed in his wake ( thanks by the way). Fishing by 6:45-7:00 ish. We seen a few fish being caught, but today there was no love for us. A smaller long line release at around 8:30, then a small shaker at 12:00 and when we were packing our gear a small 12 incher. Off the water at 3:00. We'll try for some hallibut on Wednesday out at Constance.

Another crazy session for us at Muir today. This time it was the morning not the afternoon. Arrived at 7:00am and had first hit after 15 minutes but as I still had my coffee and bagel in hand I was too slow and missed it. About an hour later we had two big hits in quick succession and had them both on the hook for about 3-4 minutes and lost them both near the boat. Oh for 3!:( Half an hour later another hit that went unnoticed until too late and just the chewed anchovy came back. Finally another hour later, the fish gods gave us one last chance and we had a fifth hit. This time me managed to boat a nice 16lb hatchery fish. One for 5!! :)Don’t know if it is because I’m getting old but all the fish seemed to fight much harder than last year. :D

After 11:00 am it all quieted down and most boats left soon after (there were about 30 or so in the Muir area at 7:00am). We pulled the gear around 1:00pm.

We got three hits on conventional anchovies and two on small (4 inch) herring, including the one we boated. Same green/gold and purple/silver teasers as last week. Same depth too.

We fished Muir from 7:30 - noon today. Felt like we were the only ones not catching fish at Muir! We tried bait and spoons, and combed the depths from 29 - 89 to no avail. Saw lots of others doing much better. Englishman - was that you and Mrs. Englishman in the orange shirts? Water was flat calm, bait was rolling great and hardly any crap in the water ... Hopefully it will be our turn next time out.

Congrats on another successful trip Roland, it wont be long before Rollie and Roy are seeking advice lol!

We fished Muir from 7:30 - noon today. Felt like we were the only ones not catching fish at Muir! We tried bait and spoons, and combed the depths from 29 - 89 to no avail. Saw lots of others doing much better. Englishman - was that you and Mrs. Englishman in the orange shirts? Water was flat calm, bait was rolling great and hardly any crap in the water ... Hopefully it will be our turn next time out.
Yep, twas us in the Orange Shirts. You probably saw us lose one. LOL:)

Fished 6am to 11am this morning….just some little guys today, I guess we had enough fun yesterday to last the rest of the week :)

Back