2016 Sooke Reports

T...we got that 1st one..25 pounds then lost the next 3 and had 3 others hit the gear and not stick. Fish were there just not a stellar day for getting them in the boat.....funny I lost a clip today because of a big bull kelp raft as well. Went out again in the mid afternoon in the big winds and managed one 8-9 pound jack at Otter. Quite a few tiny springs started biting from 5:30 to 6:30 pm. Went through a couple trays.

Fished from 6am to 10am this morning, secretary to the head, not one touch for me. I've had an ok year though, getting at least one biggish fish a week so I'll live with an off day like today.
View media item 190

Last edited:
Keep doing what you do wolf !!
The saying goes "shut up and fish"
If it's all that bad sell off and go to thriftys its a lot cheaper but not as much FUN... maybe give a go at elk lake lots in there and easy to catch....
Not a bigg poster

Weird comments in this thread....
Oh wait here's a fishing report: picked up an 18 & 20 at Sherringham this morning. One deep and one shallow. One on a spoon and one on anchovie.
2 other small hits.
Beautiful flat calm waters.

Late report for Thursday. A couple city slickers went to Sooke looking for salmon. Gear in at Otter and trolled West past PNP and back to the light. Picked up a 20 there and lost the next three big fish including one right at the boat that when he saw the net he spat the teaser head in it ! Kept a pink for hali bait too.

Saw the Sooke fishing gods and the guy who calls them that. Beauty day on the water !

Picked the wrong spot to start this morning and then probably moved at the wrong time...managed one teen before the whales showed up and 2 more an hour before we called it quits..so 3 for 3 today. Seems like nothing much coming in to the east right now...all the happy faces are out west.

Picked the wrong spot to start this morning and then probably moved at the wrong time...managed one teen before the whales showed up and 2 more an hour before we called it quits..so 3 for 3 today. Seems like nothing much coming in to the east right now...all the happy faces are out west.
Did you try the Trap Shack
My buddy picked up a couple of 20's later in the morning there.

I will say good to see some people catching alot of fish everywhere in sooke . last month has been frustrating for all of us , I was kinda upset how things being said of our community, if you lived here you may understand it has hurt all of us that love sooke , yes maybe too passionate for this lil town call me quilty on that. sorry about that. but now fish are here for sure so keep on fishing and enjoy....

Good luck Wolf

Fished, head, trap 530-3pm yesterday. 1 small released and 1 reel screamer release. Tons of whales, both killer and grey right of trap reef. Weather was awesome maybe the fish to the west will be moving in. No fish being cleaned at marina, and very few came in.

HM

Out from 10 - 1 today off trap shack. Starting to get frustrated as the boat next to us had a double header (21 and 15) and the guy directly in front got a beauty too all in short order and at 11:30. I had one bite of sandwich and then BAM! Instant peel that had me worried about remaining line, so we gave chase. A failed net attempt, followed by some pandemonium (fish ran into the downrigger ball) and it was in the net. Hardest fight for an 18 I've had.
86' in 240 ft of water on chartreuse glow flasher and chartreuse teaser.

It's my first fish in Sooke, nice to see I'm learning something.

Attachments

• download_20160807_155552.jpg
    download_20160807_155552.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 72
Hello everyone today was my third time fishing springs since I moved to Victoria from Port Alberni and we had some luck we got a 23 lbs and what a screamer and a fat belly. My daughter had a great time.

Attachments

• 20160807_121125.jpg
    20160807_121125.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 89
Fished from 7-1 beechy and the trap shack. 3 good hits but couldn't manage to get one to the boat.

Nice day except for the spell of rain.

I'm up in Ukee, for a wedding, went down to the marina to talk to the guides here, it was a good day according to them, cleaning tables were full. Should be sweet in about 8 days down in Sooke.

Fished Saturday at muir creek, sheringham, and the trap. First light-9am at Muir creek, 4 to the boat including a scrappy #15 that we kept, and two in the 6-8lb range, and a shaker that were released. Also lost one right at the boat about the same size as the 15 I boated. Next we fished Sheringham, fished it for about 2 hours with one nice strike. Concluded the day at the trap with a few strikes that didnt stick in shallower water then most boats. Back to Prestige by 2pm.

Went out again Sunday and was the first boat at the lighthouse. The usual tack with didnt disappoint as we landed a nice #23 around 630. Fish was darker colored (black), hooked nose, and looked near river ready. Possibly a product of one of our local hatcheries. Fished sheringham untill 10am with no more luck as it appeared very slow so we ran to possession and worked the usual tack. Boated one around 7-8lbs that was released unharmed, and had 2 other strikes.

The strikes we had that didnt stick seemed timid, not the typical bang bang of a spring. Can anyone relate? Im almost sure these are springs hitting to due to the depth, speed, gear, and area we fished. Also majority of fish came without the need for a flasher, and the #23 had 4 xl herring inside.

Attachments

• 13942370_1558512980842153_1236981656_n.jpg
    13942370_1558512980842153_1236981656_n.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 81
Also the picture of the fish was taken later in the day, while we were fishing possession, for clarification.

Fished Sunday out west with my kids. No springs to be found. I saw 1 fish being played at otter just as we arrived at about 7 am. Saw 1 more caught around 10:30 at Muir.
Other than that nothing but a bunch of shoulder shrugs.

Maybe whales were through that area before we arrived. Seemed exceptionally dead.

Tips

Fished muir yesterday 7-2 to otter. Lots of boats but not much action. There was talk on the radio of transient whales attacking humpbacks at sherringhams? Seen a whale watching boat head that way. Anyone see anything?

Back