2016 Sooke Reports

Fished Muir/otter 6am-10am not a nibble. Went to secretary, one small shaker noonish on a cop car 80'. Tried everything not another bite. Went off Sooke bluffs 250 mark around 1pm for ground fish, landed a 20lb Hali. Going back out around 5pm and try to land a decent salmon. Slow first day.

Gave Muir another try today. 7:00am until 2:00pm. Hottest flattest day this summer!:)

Unfortunately, the twist in space-time that produced an amazing warped reality on the past two trips has now returned to normal - although from the previous two posts it looks like it was tough for others as well today.We had one hit about 8:30am and the fish was on for maybe 10 seconds and then gone. Other than that we had only shakers. Saw a couple landed.

Our one hit was on the little herring again. Anchovies got nothing as the shakers all hit a spoon very deep (180’ on the rigger).

Muir was the same for me. Not much happening. Lots of wee guys that hit soft and ended up being dragged around for awhile. Ran to Otter a little after 12 and got the father in law into a 15 pounder. Some nice marks on the sounder but couldn't produce anything else. Such a nice day on the water.

Well just got in to dock and fished Secretary island area for almost 4hrs not a bite.. Really hoping tomorrow morning shows more promise. First day not so good. 12hrs of fishing and 1-halibut and 1-shaker. Other then the sub par fishing one of the nicest days for a tan, water conditions were superb :)

Well, the good news is I didn't run in to any dogfish at 350', but no halibut either. One pacific cod for my 6 hours of fishing. Didn't try or salmon.

I was out with Rockfish yesterday and we were fishing Secretary. We hit the water around 9:30am and had a some bites in the morning and release some wild coho. At 12:15, we had a huge hit and Rockfish grabbed the rod. This was a good fish and it took 3 nice runs and charged the boat as well. I had to give the boat some boat speed to catch up to the charging fish as he was reeling like a madman. Eventually Rockfish brought the spring up to the back of the boat and he remembered my netting skills from a couple of seasons ago where I lost his big spring which we estimated to be around 40lbs. I really blew that net job and lost his big fish. Granted, my netting skills had improved markedly since then especially after Rockfish made me practice my technique 30 times in the water until I had it down perfectly especially with his oversized net. Nonetheless, he decided not to take the chance on a good sized spring and he switched spots as he is confident in my fish playing experience. To Rockfish's credit, he is the best net man that I have ever fished with. He handed the rod to me and he took the net. As you would expect, the fish did not want to cooperate and be easily netted. Every time that it saw Rockfish, he dove back down and refused to come up. Rockfish did a great job of manouvering the boat to keep it in position for potential netting. The spring was starting to swim in front of the riggers and Rockfish had to gun the kicker to create space. It then, swam towards the motors at the back of the boat. I had to scoot to the side of the boat and steer it out of the motors. Eventually, the spring came up momentarily and Rockfish netted it up with one precise scoop and it was finally in the bag. We were also able catch one of the biggest hatchery cohos that we have seen in couple of seasons. We also released some wild coho. It was a beautiful calm and very hot day on the water. 20160811_165402.jpg 20160811_170113.jpg

Nice work guys! When you said the first fish was Rockfish's, I thought you meant you had a rockfish on the line. lol

That net of Rick's is a big one. Reminds me of a brailer from the seining, packing daze.....

Good job on the salmons boys

Went down to Muir on Pachito’s boat today. It was slow to start with only a wild coho to release but Pachito knows his stuff and eventually we got a small 6lb fish and finished with a dramatic flourish with a very fat fish of 26lb!! :):DThis fish fought really well and made about 5 runs. I attach a picture.

Learned a lot today. Bloody nose teaser heads around 65 feet were the magic formulae.

Attachments

• P1280643.JPG
    P1280643.JPG
    310.7 KB · Views: 120
On the grounds, Muir, before 6am picked up a shaker right away on a army truck 70'. Then finally the pin pops and the islander is screaming and after a 20 minute battle landed a nice 22lber. 55' gold flasher and green glow teaser head. Pick up a couple more shakers in the morning but that was it. When for Hali in the afternoon no luck. Evening fished secretary just a couple shakers. Still very slow but another beauty day on the water. Best part of the day was I had the GoPro on for the 22lber and got a amazing video. Hopefully pick up a couple more nice ones tomorrow. Don't understand this coast wide slow down. Where did all the salmon go ? Supposed to be a record year?

Think we are seeing what was predicted below. Crap 2012 escapements = crap 2016 run.

https://www.watershed-watch.org/wor...2015/11/Preliminary-2016-Salmon-Outlook-1.pdf

Current marine conditions appear unfavorable, thus expectations for escapements in 2016 are highly uncertain, and tempered by the low parental brood escapement in 2012. A formal forecast for 2016 will be available in early spring. Escapement programs are ongoing and while abundance appears to be greater than in 2014, it is unclear if that abundance will meet parental escapement levels observed in 2011. Fecundity is below average, similar to experiences with Fraser Summer Run 41. Although there are significant hatchery releases of Harrison fall-run chinook stock into the Harrison & Stave Rivers, lower Fraser River fall-run hatchery chinook consists mainly of Chilliwack Hatchery releases. 2015 adult escapement surveys at Chilliwack are ongoing and preliminary results indicate only modest returns. Forecasts will be prepared for early spring release. (2015 Outlook Category was 2/3.) 39.

:)
I was out with Rockfish yesterday and we were fishing Secretary. We hit the water around 9:30am and had a some bites in the morning and release some wild coho. At 12:15, we had a huge hit and Rockfish grabbed the rod. This was a good fish and it took 3 nice runs and charged the boat as well. I had to give the boat some boat speed to catch up to the charging fish as he was reeling like a madman. Eventually Rockfish brought the spring up to the back of the boat and he remembered my netting skills from a couple of seasons ago where I lost his big spring which we estimated to be around 40lbs. I really blew that net job and lost his big fish. Granted, my netting skills had improved markedly since then especially after Rockfish made me practice my technique 30 times in the water until I had it down perfectly especially with his oversized net. Nonetheless, he decided not to take the chance on a good sized spring and he switched spots as he is confident in my fish playing experience. To Rockfish's credit, he is the best net man that I have ever fished with. He handed the rod to me and he took the net. As you would expect, the fish did not want to cooperate and be easily netted. Every time that it saw Rockfish, he dove back down and refused to come up. Rockfish did a great job of manouvering the boat to keep it in position for potential netting. The spring was starting to swim in front of the riggers and Rockfish had to gun the kicker to create space. It then, swam towards the motors at the back of the boat. I had to scoot to the side of the boat and steer it out of the motors. Eventually, the spring came up momentarily and Rockfish netted it up with one precise scoop and it was finally in the bag. We were also able catch one of the biggest hatchery cohos that we have seen in couple of seasons. We also released some wild coho. It was a beautiful calm and very hot day on the water. View attachment 29012 View attachment 29013

I've known Rick for several years - strange that he's never mentioned the story about the "40 pounder" :)

Nice work on the coho and big spring!

Fished Muir again this morning 6-11am still no numbers. A few shakers and unfortunately the only decent fish we got was a 13.5lb wild coho.. Running out of areas and ideas, no Hali this afternoon either. Gonna try a evening fish at Otter/Muir area. Saw a nice one landed at Muir but not to many nets going still..

Even though I read this forum for 7 years I never contributed to it. So here comes my first report:
Today we did only a short trip from 12:30 to 4:30 pm fishing Otter to Muir and back. Started nice calm and sunny. Lots of boats right at Otter. Fishing was dead slow first. At about 2 pm wind picked up and we got the first shaker. We then slowly made our way back from Muir to Otter. Getting a few more shakers. We also had a pin popper but it didn't stick. Biggest fish was a coho of about 6 lbs that got released. At 4pm it became really bumpy out there, So after all no fish to clean today.
All shakers took the spoon at 50ft on the cable in 80 ft of water while anchovy in UV green teaser head didn't attrack any fish today.

Reactions: RBL
Went out of Sooke today and blew a manifold fitting right off the spit. Thank you to the couple of boats that immediately stopped to check on us and offer help. So we used the trolling motor to fish Secretary until the wind brought us in at 4. Couple of nice hatchery coho but no springs. This is our one annual trip so well limp out tomorrow for a similar shot.

Fished early at 0500 this morning west took home a 22 lb and released 2 smaller 10-12lbers. Rolled up to a bite that seemed to last about 45 mins. Other than that just dodging kelp/weeds. In by 11..bait worked today for us neat bottom.

Back